Spyder Garage

Default just bought a used 2015 RT-S SE6 Special Series (9400 ish miles)

Is there a way to find out what if any mods have been done to the engine?

P.S. I FREAKIN LOVE THIS MACHINE
    2015 RT-S Special Series , Stock Spark Plugs Brake Pedal Extension Cherry Red/Black

Spyder Garage

Default Little checking.....

You can check by vin# if all factory mods were done and are up to date. As for customer mods ...that is a bit harder. The most common is the exhaust and is quite visiable and audioable. under the hood you would have to look for those such as airbox mods , wires and plugs etc. As for any ECU mods really hard to tell. RT's are not highly modifies so not to worry and you can always run by a dealer and have them check it out....

Welcome to the spyder world and this rather unique site....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Where, how to check the vin # ? Also, I'm gonna send a PM.
    2015 RT-S Special Series , Stock Spark Plugs Brake Pedal Extension Cherry Red/Black

Spyder Garage

OOps, I could't figure out how to PM to you.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Revalden View Post
    OOps, I could't figure out how to PM to you.
    click on there name, you will see drop down box, then click on private message
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    You can check by vin# if all factory mods were done and are up to date. As for customer mods ...that is a bit harder. The most common is the exhaust and is quite visiable and audioable. under the hood you would have to look for those such as airbox mods , wires and plugs etc. As for any ECU mods really hard to tell. RT's are not highly modifies so not to worry and you can always run by a dealer and have them check it out....

Welcome to the spyder world and this rather unique site....
    This is a good reply but somewhat inaccurate.

On the 2015 RT series, actually any of tne 1330 triples, the ignition is coil on plug, so there are no spark plug wires.

Regarding the airbox, it is most likely the biggest change would be an air filter swap to a K&N if even done at all. The 14 and newer RT series utilizes a much different airbox design than previous years, and very few owners have made changes. There are no plug and play aftermarket airbox mods, except the filter.

Agree, the exhaust may have seen changes. Typically a cat bypass could have been installed and / or the oem rear muffler swapped out. These are visible changes if done.

Possibly a very common mod is replacement oil drain plugs. Again, visually seen to check.
    No way to tell but the front end could have been laser aligned. The shocks may have been swapped. Possibly the air ride compressor was swapped for the aftermarket unit.

From there you have a ton of possible mods, third brake lights, LED glow lights, bump skids, horn upgrades, windscreen upgrades, adjustable side air vents, speaker upgrades, seat upgrades, and so many more possibilities.

Yes, possibly the engine computer was remapped, but that is not a popular change.

Ideally your DESS has been upgraded to newest version.

All the best with it.
    Last edited by PMK; 11-14-2018 at 05:13 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Revalden View Post
    Is there a way to find out what if any mods have been done to the engine?
    P.S. I FREAKIN LOVE THIS MACHINE
    Welcome to the Spyder World/Nation
    2015 with 9400 miles. That's low mileage. I thought 13,400 was low for my 4 riding seasons old 2015 RTL. The VIN should be on:
    1. Sale Paperwork,
    2. Title
    3. Registration
    4. Insurance Card
    5. If all else fails, it's located on a sticker on the lower frame of the Spyder.
    Using the VIN you can check the service history, if the work was done by a authorized BRP dealer. The first oil change should have been done @3,000 miles or 1 year.
    With such low miles, there should have been an annual service with oil & filter change every year. I have had 4 services at the end of each of my riding seasons @the end of October(2015, 2016, 2017 and 2018). Just before I put mine away for the winter. Be sure to read through your Owner's Manual.
    Mike
    2021 Marsala Red Metallic RT Limited

Spyder Garage

and on your new

I would say the other posters have covered the subject pretty well.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Thanks guys. I took it to town today. 66 deg today. All the compartments hold a lot of groceries. I received a CD Shop Manual that I ordered a few days ago. I'm scheduled for a Triple Bypass at the end of this month, so I'll get her "Winterized " in a few days. I also ordered Spider shirts myself and "Management"