Spyder Garage

Default visiting a dealership this week

I currently ride a HD Classic Ultra, the wife which is 4 ft 11 in is tired of being on the back. She has her motorcycle endorsement (required here in Florida). Question is, this may be a Christmas Gift, but I kinda want to know, are there other short people operating these and feed back on their comfort level. She had a smaller Suzuki, but that didnt go very well. The 3 wheels, and semi auto xmission should be the ticket, I'm thinking.... Ive been looking for the used ones, but their about he same price, with no warranty....

thoughts?
    2018 RT , Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Can't speak first hand but have talked to people in that range who have enjoyed their Spyders. Biggest thing, test drive. As long as you can make it. Good luck.
    Last edited by Saluda; 11-12-2018 at 10:22 PM.

Spyder Garage

If you do recreational day rides, the new Ryker may be just the right thing. If you are more into touring, she may be better suited to the F3. Both have adjustable foot positions and a low seating position. She should be comfortable with either one.
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

They aren't in the dealerships yet, but the new Ryker should be a perfect fit.
    2015 F3 S , Can Am Red

Spyder Garage

I hate to suggest it, but you should take her along (Christmas present or not). She should test sit and get it adjusted--pre purchase. A test drive would also be recommended if you can.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    I hate to suggest it, but you should take her along (Christmas present or not). She should test sit and get it adjusted--pre purchase. A test drive would also be recommended if you can.
    2015 Pearl White RTL
    Baja Ron Sway Bar
    Russell Day Long Seat
    Strobe Brake Light
    Mirror Mount Turn Signal Indicator

2015 RTL , Yes Pearl White

Spyder Garage

I agree, I think I'll go scope them out before taking her in there. shes pretty good with the riding thing, but it was the balance, clutch, gear shifting, front brake, rear brake, thing was just to much.... throttle, brake semi auto ans steer seems more her speed. her height takes her out of the running for alot. I'd be riding behind her (in the rear seat) from time to time too. I was thinking the RT with the back rest. I get tired of driving all the time...
    2018 RT , Blue

Spyder Garage

Default Agree...

The Ryker....

I agree with having her test it out, when the time is right, as it is full automatic with no tool adjustments for bars and pegs and comes in a 600 or 900 version. Let us know how it goes...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    The Ryker....

I agree with having her test it out, when the time is right, as it is full automatic with no tool adjustments for bars and pegs and comes in a 600 or 900 version. Let us know how it goes...
    Interesting Point, Ive been reading the smaller engines need to run at higher RPM, is that right? If so that's going to be a issue, because the higher the rpm, the faster she thinks shes going. what's the scoop, have I been reading that right? Ive seen several comments with the 996 engine? are the rykers the same way? seems the preferred cruising engine would be the 1330 (the larger engine) I'm off to Jury Duty.... wont be back on here until tonight....
    2018 RT , Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Realtor View Post
    I agree, I think I'll go scope them out before taking her in there. shes pretty good with the riding thing, but it was the balance, clutch, gear shifting, front brake, rear brake, thing was just to much.... throttle, brake semi auto ans steer seems more her speed. her height takes her out of the running for alot. I'd be riding behind her (in the rear seat) from time to time too. I was thinking the RT with the back rest. I get tired of driving all the time...
    Smart move to go by yourself initially, but obviously remain open minded that she may prefer a different model than you seem to like.

Reading you may be on the back, good choice on the RT series. Rykers, may be for some, but seems doubtful it checks the boxes for you.

As for warranty, there are always a lot of very nice RT series for sale, used with remaining warranties, many with years left on extended warranties. Most folks pretty much post dissatisfaction with the 2018 electronics. Not sure if the 19s have it sorted out or when they hit dealers floors.

All that said, you can find a super nice 2017, no doubt with upgrades, low miles and warranty that will most likely be overpriced in the used market. How willing you are to get to where it is, your ability to negotiate a better price and can you walk away even if you traveled but it is not all that.

Seriously, nice used with warranty will save you a bunch of money and avoid the 2018 electronic instrument panel and audio concerns.
    Last edited by PMK; 11-13-2018 at 05:15 PM.

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

With what you are currently riding, I doubt the ryker would be for you. I am thinking that you (and your better half) may be too used to comfort items that just will not be found on the ryker. There are some good deals on used RT models that may still have some warranty left. At that point, you can buy an extended warranty to add to that. To me it sounds like either a F3T, F3 Limited, or RT version (all with the 1330 engine if 2014 or newer) would be the way to go. Good luck shopping.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I currently ride a HD Classic Ultra, the wife which is 4 ft 11 in is tired of being on the back. She has her motorcycle endorsement (required here in Florida). Question is, this may be a Christmas Gift, but I kinda want to know, are there other short people operating these and feed back on their comfort level. She had a smaller Suzuki, but that didnt go very well. The 3 wheels, and semi auto xmission should be the ticket, I'm thinking.... Ive been looking for the used ones, but their about he same price, with no warranty....

thoughts?
    I'm not sure the Ryker would be the way to go without modification. I'm 5'3" and sat on one. The handlebars wouldn't come back far enough and I had trouble reaching the shift lever with my left foot. I'd recommend the F3 models with short-reach bars plus risers.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

The surprise of the shopping trip might be a great gift, but I wouldn't try to make this decision for her.
    2020 RT Limited in the ultra cool Deep Marsala Dark edition.

Baja Ron Anti-Sway Bar, LED reflectors, Lamonster USB Charger (and phone mount), Can-Am Low Windshield, X-Creen Tour Variable Windscreen Spoiler Blade, Power Commander, Dilithium powered Flux Capacitor (not yet fully functional).
    Maintained by Lou at Pirate Powersports.

Spyder Garage

I'm a 4'11" rider. Started out with a Honda Shadow 600. Love my Honda. However, when looking to upgrade to large engine and better suspension, I ran into some leg length issues. Spyder was a great option. I currently have a 2014 ST SE5 Limited. Found it used, with 600 miles in a neighboring state. $15000.00. I only found a blemish on the seat from the previous owner - must have drug a heal across the seat. Been very happy with the options it came with. I have only added a passenger back rest to the bike. I would recommend the semi-auto to anyone buying a Spyder. Really like my foot pads also, audio, cruise - yeah - I love my Spyder.
    2014 ST SE5 LT , Black Current

Spyder Garage

Interesting Point, Ive been reading the smaller engines need to run at higher RPM, is that right? If so that's going to be a issue, because the higher the rpm, the faster she thinks shes going. what's the scoop, have I been reading that right? Ive seen several comments with the 996 engine? are the rykers the same way? seems the preferred cruising engine would be the 1330 (the larger engine) I'm off to Jury Duty.... wont be back on here until tonight....
    RE: RPM and engines. If you go RS, ST, RT, or F3--there are two engine choices. The pre-2014 engines were all 998 Rotax. Two cylinders and recommend 5500 rpm operating revs. Once you got used to them, no problems keeping them in the revs.

The 1330 ACE is a three cylinder engine. It likes to operate in the 3500 rpm range.

The new Ryker offers a 600 and a 900 engine. Have not heard about recommended rpms--but I think that is a moot issue with the CVT type transmission. Just turn the throttle and it goes. No shifting required. You do not have to hunt for the proper rpms there.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Well, with the schedules, I had the wife drop by the dealership on her way home this afternoon. Looks like we'll be a member of the Spydegang tomorrow.... She got on a 2018 RT Limited. she didnt have to reach or search for anything, so.... I was there for a while after Jury Duty (Didnt get selected) the dealer and I are about 90% in agreement on price accessories to be included in the transaction. I wanted a dark version because it would have been easier to clean...., but ending up wit the chrome package. Great thing is, the wife feels good and comfortable, so with sometime in saddle, I'll be a passenger.... lol (Thats good with me) unless she rides this and I find myself back on the HD.... lol
    2018 RT , Blue

Spyder Garage

I will ride on the back but for short period of time now that we have upgraded to a two spyder family it is not really needed. She is 5' 2" fits great on the RT but can also ride mine so she took it to the dealer to get the hitch installed for me (F3sport). If she needs a manual trans. 2018 is the final year its available 2019 will be semi-auto only. We purchased both new in the fall at clearance price.
    2018 F3s , Gold

Spyder Garage

Well, with the schedules, I had the wife drop by the dealership on her way home this afternoon. Looks like we'll be a member of the Spydegang tomorrow.... She got on a 2018 RT Limited. she didnt have to reach or search for anything, so.... I was there for a while after Jury Duty (Didnt get selected) the dealer and I are about 90% in agreement on price accessories to be included in the transaction. I wanted a dark version because it would have been easier to clean...., but ending up wit the chrome package. Great thing is, the wife feels good and comfortable, so with sometime in saddle, I'll be a passenger.... lol (Thats good with me) unless she rides this and I find myself back on the HD.... lol

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Thanks, sealed it up today, pick it up Friday.
    I've done a whole lot of research on this forum the past few weeks. Many Thanks....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2018 RT , Blue