Threaded View

Spyder Garage

Default Fused electrical distribution block

Bunch of mods listed in my profile, the one that is a DIY is a fused distribution block under the zippered lining in the frunk of our RT limited. I have run this in some fashion on 8 or 9 former motorcycles to run accessories directly off the battery. It is controlled by the ignition with a solenoid energised by a hot wire that is only on when the key is on. On most past bikes anything that came on with the key could be tapped, but I usually used the license plate light feed, as if something goes bad and the circuit gets messed up the only thing affected is the license plate light. With the newer CAN-bus we have to be more careful on where to tap in. On our RT Limited there is an unused feed into the frunk behind a rubber plug to add a power tap to the left of the battery. There is a hot and ground lead and it is on when the key is on, a great place to energize a relay. If I want to add a power tap in the frunk I can use one of the fused connections on the fuse block. I only run hot wires from the block, for the ground I use a handy metal-to-metal frame bolt close to the installed outlet. Here is a picture:
    Spyder powerblock 2.jpg
    The black wire hanging in front of the manual is a fused direct to battery charger/maintainer connection.The '18s have the battery behind a panel in back of the owner's manual, and the fuse is back there just above the battery. The red wire that turns yellow behind the tape is fused from the battery to the solenoid, I have added 2 more outlets, therefor 2 more sets of wires and fuses than shown.The wires come through the rubber bung that covered the hole in the frunk wall. I made a hole in the middle and a slit from the hole to the edge. The hole is just big enough to fit the wires and pretty well seals the inside from the elements. As I add more wires I have to make the hole a little bit larger. Here is a diagram:
    Spyder powerblock 1a.jpg
    Looks like you'll have to click and open the pictures in a new window to make them big enough to see clearly.
    Last edited by ozarkryder; 11-12-2018 at 02:51 AM.
    2018 Can Am Spyder RT Limited, 2013 Triumph Bonneville T100
    Motorcycle Rights: AMA Charter Life Member, MRF, FORR Life Member Local 11 Southwest Missouri, Mid-South MILE organizing committee member
    2018 RT Limited , Got one, on, then off then on until Gloria decides if she likes it or not. blue