Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Cat delete, is it worth the money

Just bought a new 2018 rtl and installed a RLS muffler, sounds much better, but is it worth the money to install a cat delete and will it actually increase the performance of the bike.

Thanks for any info,

Spyder Garage

I’m curious about this as well. I’ve been considering adding that over the winter. I believe one of my friends has it, his RT sounds better than mine, not sure if he did cat delete or just different pipes. Curious to hear what others say about increased performance or not.

2018 RT Limited Metalic Champagne
    US Spyder Ryders Long Island NY Chapter
    2018 RT Limited , Metallic Champagne

Spyder Garage

I have 10,000 miles of pipe configuration TRACK TIMED testing before and after an ECU flash. If you have a stock ECU and bike, putting on a cat delete causes measurable power loss on the low end. I'm talking loosing four bike lengths going from 0 to 60 mph. The best test pipes were Akrapovic, Two Brothers or any pipe that at least offers some back pressure tuning. A stock bike against a Two Brothers with an added baffle pulls about two bike lengths. However, The Two Brothers and Akra have a slight roll on advantage in the 4,000 to 6,300 rpm range which is usable street riding power.
    Hyperone and I have dialed in a pipe configurations to work with the ECU flash. I have the Monster Fuel ECU flash, RLS cat delete, Spyder One open exhaust and a total of THREE specific in-line Baffles. My 2016 F3L is an absolute Hot Rod and lays rubber through the first two gears. Roll on power in any gear is great with little or no down shifting. My bike is quiet down low and snorts pretty good when on the pipe
    If all you are looking for is a better sound leave the delete in place and get an Akrapovic pipe and you should have some improved roll on in the mid range.
    If you want 25% more power EVERYWHERE, get the ECU flash. It works great with the stock exhaust system. If you want a great sound with performance pm either me or Hyperone for a pipe configuration set up. Dennis

k
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramrover View Post
    Just bought a new 2018 rtl and installed a RLS muffler, sounds much better, but is it worth the money to install a cat delete and will it actually increase the performance

Thanks for any info,
    Last edited by Dennis in Lodi; 11-11-2018 at 12:18 PM.

Spyder Garage

Ask if any of the cat delete manufacturers provide dyno run info. Louder, sure, lighter sure, less heat, probably, more performance, doubtful.
    Bob S

Spyder Garage

ECU Flash seems like the best option. I need to lose some weight anyway, so I?ll just lose 15lbs and have ECU Flash done. This way I?m healthier, Spyder will perform better and I?ll have same advantage of Cat Delete! Lol.
    It does sound cool, but I?m ok w the quiet pipes.
    Enjoy the rest of your weekend everyone!
    Jarred.

2018 RT Limited Metalic Champagne
    US Spyder Ryders Long Island NY Chapter
    2018 RT Limited , Metallic Champagne

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The cat delete is likely more beneficial for the ear than it is or the butt dino. I think the producer benefits more than the buyer. An ECM flash may be a better investment in both the short term and long term and for the pocketbook.
    Last edited by 2dogs; 11-11-2018 at 12:36 PM.

Spyder Garage

I have the cat delete pipe by RLS on my list. It has some sort of a resonator can inline and suppose to produce a lower deeper tone. I wouldn't expect more power, but a bit better tone. If I don't like it, can always reinstall the OEM cat. Time will tell.
    ----
    Joe

2023 F3

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tibadoe View Post
    I have the cat delete pipe by RLS on my list. It has some sort of a resonator can inline and suppose to produce a lower deeper tone. I wouldn't expect more power, but a bit better tone. If I don't like it, can always reinstall the OEM cat. Time will tell.
    That's what I have Joe. Cat delete pipe with resonator (baffle) in-line. It will allow you to retain your low end toque. Good choice and sounds good too.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    That's what I have Joe. Cat delete pipe with resonator (baffle) in-line. It will allow you to retain your low end toque. Good choice and sounds good too.
    Thanks for the input. Just what I wanted to hear!
    ----
    Joe

2023 F3

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Now save your bucks for an ECU flash. LOL

Spyder Garage

Both Hyperone and I run the RLS cat delete. The RLS DOES NOT RETAIN LOW END TORQUE. I had to add two additional Big City Thunder Baffles to my RLS cat delete.
    https://www.bigcitythunder.com/produ...nster-baffles/ The resonator is in an outer shell. It is a straight pipe through that center resonator and how it is designed and packed tight makes me question how any exhaust gasses get into it. It is a good starting point for sound but still needs help if you have a free flow open exhaust. I did not conduct any timed test runs with the RLS and a stock exhaust. But, ALL OTHER TIMED TEST RUNS SUFFERED WITH FREE FLOW CAT DELETES. Some side by side test runs would loose up to four bike lengths in 0 to 60 mph testing.

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post

Spyder Garage

When I installed my CAT delete for my 2014RT, the main purpose was to reduce weight and to drastically reduce the heat generation on an already hot trike.
    I did both admirably!

AJ
    Just bought a new 2018 rtl and installed a RLS muffler, sounds much better, but is it worth the money to install a cat delete and will it actually increase the performance of the bike.

Thanks for any info,

2014 RT-S
    Akrapovic Exhaust & Cat Bypass
    Bajaron Sway Bar w/links / Sena SM-10/Garmin 660
    Comfort Seat w Adjustable Backrest
    Decals by Purple Harley / Magic Strobe
    Kuryakyn Black Widow Pegs Rivco Highway Brackets
    Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder
    FOBO / Spyder Cuff / XM Radio w MC Antenna

2014 RT/S , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PaladinLV View Post
    When I installed my CAT delete for my 2014RT, the main purpose was to reduce weight and to drastically reduce the heat generation on an already hot trike.
    I did both admirably!

AJ
    A cat delete is a perfect solution to reduce heat and weight. On my RT, items in the glove box use to ROAST when I parked the bike. That really changed with the delete pipe. My F3L is more open underneath and there isn't a glove box above the cat. The RLS delete and my exhaust pipe are bright stainless steel and looks sharp underneath, so I'm really happy with the looks.
    The power loss down low isn't noticeable for average driving. it's really obvious for a full throttle start as it chokes for a second and for me it didn't spin the rear wheel. I got the RLS delete well after my testing and was excited as I hoped it would perform right out of the box. After I got a few miles on it I went to the test track and was really bummed that it was no better than other deletes I tested.
    But after sharing date with Hyperone I came up with a two Big City Thunder Baffle combination that took my total performance to a whole new level.
    I now have my cake and get to eat it as well.
    Dennis
    https://www.bigcitythunder.com/produ...nster-baffles/
    here is the product and are super easy to install. Based on the inside diameter of your delete it will be either a QBL1625 or a QQ1750 The front baffle installs with the cone toward the exhaust and the rear baffle with the cone towards the motor.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PaladinLV View Post
    I did both admirably!

AJ
    Agree, primary goal was heat reduction in slow traffic diring the summer. The reduced weight was good too.

For whatever reason, our RTS has bark at the exhaust note that others with the same bypass do not have. Maybe it is from always running high grade fuel, or possibly mods I did to the intake airflow.

I gave up trying to make a vehicle with 1100 pound empty weight and 115hp into anything more than a fun machine. A racer it is not.

I was hot for the remaps a while back, then came to my senses. Yes, it is a bargain cost wise to gain 25hp, but the power to weight numbers are just not there.

Also, with so little weight bias on the rear tire, even ours can spin the Yokohama s.Drive rear tire. Not a smoking burnout, but it still can make it happen until traction control gets involved.

These days and even before the one time I wish the bike had more is passing big vehicles on the highway where you are cruising at 75 and passing a bus, rv, or semi truck doing a few mph slower than you. That wall of air kind of stalls the Spyder until it punches through. Nowadays, I simply plan ahead, grab a handful and bladt through, then resume where cruise was set at.

The best part though is the upshift bang and decell burble and pops. That bang is the moment you think am I driving a paddle shift supercar. Whaaaa, Bang!, Whaaaa, Bang!

Spyder Garage

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis in Lodi View Post
    Both Hyperone and I run the RLS cat delete. The RLS DOES NOT RETAIN LOW END TORQUE. I had to add two additional Big City Thunder Baffles to my RLS cat delete.
    https://www.bigcitythunder.com/produ...nster-baffles/ The resonator is in an outer shell. It is a straight pipe through that center resonator and how it is designed and packed tight makes me question how any exhaust gasses get into it. It is a good starting point for sound but still needs help if you have a free flow open exhaust. I did not conduct any timed test runs with the RLS and a stock exhaust. But, ALL OTHER TIMED TEST RUNS SUFFERED WITH FREE FLOW CAT DELETES. Some side by side test runs would loose up to four bike lengths in 0 to 60 mph testing.
    hey dennis...I talked to rick at RLS Exhaust and he said that he offers a baffle for the front of his cat bypass..I told him that I want a baffle on BOTH the front and rear of his cat delete pipe like you discribed...he said he had no problem installing a second baffle for the back. Im hoping his baffles are as good as the thunder ones you discribed in your post...i want to know your opinion on this...I also have a stage I ECU remap on mine as well.
    Last edited by 308gunner; 11-15-2018 at 08:38 PM.

Spyder Garage

Baffles look like well points??
    Lamonster Bright Ryder,
    Lamonster Bright Tail Lighter,
    Lamonster H4 LED Headlights,
    Lamonster LED Fog Lights,
    Lamonster Fog Light Ring Combo,
    Rox Riser
    Lamonster Driver Back Rest,
    Lamonster Frame Mount Drink Holder.
    Lamonster 15" Freedom Shield Wind Shield
    ******* USA flag
    Freecom 2 head sets
    Mirror Wedgies by Squared Away
    Motorcycle Dave's Tachform phone cradle
    Spyderpops Turnsignal LEDs
    Spyder Sisters Shade
    Spyderpops LidLocs
    Spyderpops front fender LEDs by Show Chrome
    Motorcycle Dave's Gel seat insert
    2018 F3L , Blue

Spyder Garage

Just my own riding observations, but adding the Big City baffle to the straight cat delete really helps with the torque than without the baffle. It also sounds better to me. I never thought about adding two.

I originally added it to the cat delete when I first bought it because I didn't like the cat delete sound with the stock exhaust. After adding the BCT baffle, it was a lot better.

I bought the RLS delete and compared it to the cat delete / BCT baffle combo with the stock exhaust. I like it a lot more. It sounds better, to me. It isn't quite as loud and seems deeper sound. I'm guessing that it may have more back flow pressure than the straight cat delete and one BCT baffle. I imagine with two BCT baffles, it would be better.

cat bypass.jpg
    Last edited by tehrlich; 11-16-2018 at 11:41 AM.
    2015 RT Limited: Fox Shocks - RonJon swaybar and links - BRP Comfort Seat - BRP Triaxis handlebars - Yokohama tires (26psi fronts 28psi back) - Centramatic wheel balancers - BRP belt tensioner - BRP Short windshield - CATdelete/Spyder1 attitude exhaust - Lamonster footpegs - sintered brake pads - LED TRYCLED lights - BumpSkid

2015 RT Limited , black

Spyder Garage

I ordered my polished RLS cat bypass today. I spoke to Rick at RLS and hes going to WELD in TWO additional honeycomb baffles..one for the input and one for the output...so it will be a three level system. Baffle(1)...Resonator(2)...Baffle(3). I also wrote in the request so theres no mistakes...and... they are also on sale so I saved 60 bucks.
    Last edited by 308gunner; 11-21-2018 at 11:52 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 308gunner View Post
    I ordered my polished RLS cat bypass today. I spoke to Rick at RLS and hes going to WELD in TWO honeycomb baffles..one for the input and one for the output. I also wrote in the request so theres no mistakes...and... they are also on sale so I saved 60 bucks.
    Cool. He will do a great job. His cat bypass fits perfectly.
    2015 RT Limited: Fox Shocks - RonJon swaybar and links - BRP Comfort Seat - BRP Triaxis handlebars - Yokohama tires (26psi fronts 28psi back) - Centramatic wheel balancers - BRP belt tensioner - BRP Short windshield - CATdelete/Spyder1 attitude exhaust - Lamonster footpegs - sintered brake pads - LED TRYCLED lights - BumpSkid

2015 RT Limited , black

Spyder Garage

I got my RLS cat bypass today...and he welded in the additional baffles on the input and output of the pipe that I requested...I'll install it in tommorow or Saturday.
    Last edited by 308gunner; 11-29-2018 at 08:24 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default Lots of knowledge here....

Trying to take in what everyone is saying on this thread. I'm very interested in more power from my 2018 F3L. I don't have an ECU upgrade (yet?) but Lamonster installed a LG 1330 pipe removing the cat. I was/am naive about what I wanted from my new Spyder when I bought it so I guess I'm working backwards now. Sucks to be me!? So I need some help here. 1) If I go the ECU route does it affect the warranty? 2) Can I put baffles in this pipe or would any of you suggest or do something else? 3) Should I go the ECU route AND baffles? I've owned a few new vehicles over the years and never got around to customizing any of them ..... I am doing whatever I can on this Spyder! Ain't gettin any younger!!

Thanks to all in advance for sharing....

Spyder Garage

Thanks for any info,
    I tried the Cat delete on my 2015 F3's. It lost low end power. I installed 2 baffles--still lacked off the line power plus was loud. I reinstalled the Cat, I have the Akprovac chrome straight shot muffler. I did the ECU stage one mod from Canada--it definitely improved 3000--8100. I am going for the stage 2 ECU & air box upgrade from Canada this month. Traffic has really increased here over the years but I did have an opportunity to hit 118 mph speedo & still climbing until traffic got in the way. this 118 mph was with tall windshield & saddlebags, passenger back rest on the Stage 1 ECU upgrade. After 3 Hayabusa's with engine mods, one with Nitrous, & the last with turbo putting out 344 rwhp-212# torque I promised myself I won't modify the engine on this f3's spyder. Evidently I have a short attention span :-(
    Darrell
    2015 F3's , two 12 volt power outlets Orange & Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tehrlich View Post
    Just my own riding observations, but adding the Big City baffle to the straight cat delete really helps with the torque than without the baffle. It also sounds better to me. I never thought about adding two.

I originally added it to the cat delete when I first bought it because I didn't like the cat delete sound with the stock exhaust. After adding the BCT baffle, it was a lot better.

I bought the RLS delete and compared it to the cat delete / BCT baffle combo with the stock exhaust. I like it a lot more. It sounds better, to me. It isn't quite as loud and seems deeper sound. I'm guessing that it may have more back flow pressure than the straight cat delete and one BCT baffle. I imagine with two BCT baffles, it would be better.

cat bypass.jpg
    From what was posted previously on his website, essentially, the resonated pipe is still a cat bypass with no added restriction unless asked for. Merely it is a glass pack type muffler welded inplace of a straight pipe section. So yes, it will reduce or eliminate certain tones, and should help provide a lower exhaust note.

None the less, the Spyder 1330 engine remains a short stroke triple, compared to the rumble some are trying to emulate similar to the long stroke V Twin of a Harley.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    From what was posted previously on his website, essentially, the resonated pipe is still a cat bypass with no added restriction unless asked for. Merely it is a glass pack type muffler welded inplace of a straight pipe section. So yes, it will reduce or eliminate certain tones, and should help provide a lower exhaust note.

None the less, the Spyder 1330 engine remains a short stroke triple, compared to the rumble some are trying to emulate similar to the long stroke V Twin of a Harley.
    I agree with you....instead of trying to make it sound like a harley.. make it sound like a hayabusa..which is better.