Thread: Engine noise

Spyder Garage

Default Engine noise

2014 RTL with 34k miles.
    Engine has a raddle for a second or two on cold start up.
    Anything to be concerned about?

Spyder Garage

Hard to tell. Did this just start recently? Did you change types of oil? Has it been a while since an oil change? Oil level low?

Could be nothing. Could be the start of something catastrophic like mine did.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Default Agree...

could be just the change in the weather and the oil is much cooler at start up and system doesn't charge up as fast as with a warm oil....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dbaucum View Post
    2014 RTL with 34k miles.
    could just be nothing. Lots of engines have some kind of chatter when they are first started. We had a 2003 goldwing that would rattle like a sewing machine when it was first started up after it set for awhile. If your worried about it run it by a shop and ask them to check it. But I wouldn't stress over it to much. As long as it runs fine and fluid and parts aren't falling out of it. Our 2011 RT rattles when it's first starts up. Then smooths out in about 2 or 3 seconds. Happy trails. If you ain't riding it like you stole it. Then your not riding.

Spyder Garage

2014 RTL with 34k miles.
    My 2014 RT has been doing it for a while. (Now at 48,000 miles) I'm pretty sure your issue is the cam chain tensioner. It is not harmful.

The tensioner uses a combination of hydraulic and spring tension to apply force to the cam chain. It is a common design in the motorcycle world and isn't the best.

What happens is when the engine is off, the spring supplies tension to the cam chain upon start up, until the engine oil pressure takes over supplying the force to the cam chain. The noise starts because the spring is somewhat weakened because of age/mileage. Sometimes the little hole in the tensioner assembly that causes the pressure can get partly blocked with debris or goo or whatever and cause the noise to be longer lasting than when new.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the info. I just recently started making the start up noise. Just changed oil and filter with BRP product and made sure to put in the correct amount.

Spyder Garage

2014 RTL with 34k miles.
    I used to use it with another vehicle as a sign it was time to do an oil change … Change the filter and oil and up the viscosity slightly and I bet it'll make a world of difference.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you give it any throttle on start up, it could be engine knock. That's often caused by low octane gas. You never really know just what's coming out of the nozzle when you're pumping gas. A close friend of mine recently retired after working for many years at a local fuel distributing plant. He told me there are times when you don't get what you think you're getting when you pump your gas, and there are a multitude of reasons why.