Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Fault code P0340

My dad owns a 2017 RT Limited. While on a ride this past weekend, his engine light came on and his bike went into limp mode. I was able to access the fault code and it came up as P0340. I used the spyder codes app to check it out and I have no idea what it means. The dealer can’t look at it for three days. We just trying to figure out the problem. Any suggestions? It would be good to know before we bring it in.
    Thanks in advance.
    2016 RT-S Special Series
    Spyderpops LED Bumpskid
    LED headlights and fog lights

Spyder Garage

P0340 is a faulty crankshaft position sensor.

2017 F3 Limited in Intense Red Pearl

2008 Triumph Rocket (SOLD)

2002 Honda VTX 1800 C ( SOLD)

2014 Triumph Thunderbird Commander

Spyder Garage

If you look on pg. 152 of your dad's operators guide it says that if the engine light is flashing and the Spyder goes into Limp Mode it should be transported to a dealer. I saw the same information you probably did on Spyder Codes and the bottom line is that a technician has to use B.U.D.S. (actually B.U.D.S. II for MY 2017 and later, I believe) to diagnose and correct the problem.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Default Curious...🤔

How did the spyder run after the warning .. ?? Did the warning light clear after shutting down and removing the key.. ?? Sometimes engine stumbles can cause this be it an rpm drop or backfire. If it cleared and did not come back on it could be that. If it is still on or came back the sensor may be bad which seems to be the case of late.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

CAM Shaft Position Sensor.

Since there are no distributers and carburetors anymore, The crankshaft and camshaft positions sensors (the rotational position) tell the system when to fire the ignition and injectors, and which cylinder to do it to. Seems to be a number of threads on here about 2017s having a sensor go belly up. Odd. Your Dad's machine is under warranty, right, so the dealer should get you in and out in an hour or two once you can get in. Some say it's a leaky o-ring allowing oil to get into the sensor or connector. Replace sensor. Easy fix. Agree, I would transport it to the dealer, not ride it, if code persists.

Spyder Diagnostic Codes - P0340
    Error on camshaft
    position sensor signal

Disconnected sensor
    Blown fuse
    Defective CAPS,
    damaged circuit wires,
    damaged connector or
    damaged ECM output pins.
    Trigger wheel missing
    or in incorrect position
    on intake camshaft

Make sure sensor
    connector is fully inserted.
    Measure voltage between
    harness connector CAPS-3
    and ground (expected
    value: 11 to 13 volts).
    Measure resistance from
    connector: ECMA-E2 to CAPS-2
    (expected value: < 2 ohms).
    Measure resistance from
    connector: ECMA-D4 to CAPS-1
    Last edited by Snowbelt Spyder; 11-06-2018 at 08:15 AM.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    How did the spyder run after the warning .. ?? Did the warning light clear after shutting down and removing the key.. ?? Sometimes engine stumbles can cause this be it an rpm drop or backfire. If it cleared and did not come back on it could be that. If it is still on or came back the sensor may be bad which seems to be the case of late.

It runs fine. We tried shutting it down for 15 minutes and still had the issue. We also disconnected the battery.
    2016 RT-S Special Series
    Spyderpops LED Bumpskid

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Snowbelt Spyder View Post
    CAM Shaft Position Sensor.

Since there are no distributers and carburetors anymore, The crankshaft and camshaft positions sensors (the rotational position) tell the system when to fire the ignition and injectors, and which cylinder to do it to. Seems to be a number of threads on here about 2017s having a sensor go belly up. Odd. Your Dad's machine is under warranty, right, so the dealer should get you in and out in an hour or two once you can get in. Some say it's a leaky o-ring allowing oil to get into the sensor or connector. Replace sensor. Easy fix. Agree, I would transport it to the dealer, not ride it, if code persists.

Spyder Diagnostic Codes - P0340
    Error on camshaft
    position sensor signal

Disconnected sensor
    Blown fuse
    Defective CAPS,
    damaged circuit wires,
    damaged connector or
    damaged ECM output pins.
    Trigger wheel missing
    or in incorrect position
    on intake camshaft

Make sure sensor
    connector is fully inserted.
    Measure voltage between
    harness connector CAPS-3
    and ground (expected
    value: 11 to 13 volts).
    Measure resistance from
    connector: ECMA-E2 to CAPS-2
    Measure resistance from
    connector: ECMA-D4 to CAPS-1

Weather permitting, we will bring it in today. Yes, it's under warranty. We have no way to transport it. I'll have him call the dealer to see if they can pick it up at his house. The dealer is only 15 minutes away. Will it really hurt driving the bike in?
    2016 RT-S Special Series
    Spyderpops LED Bumpskid

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

If you’re in limp mode, under warranty, I wouldn’t. But that’s just me. For a 15 minute trip, the dealer should come get it.
    Last edited by Snowbelt Spyder; 11-06-2018 at 08:30 AM.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

I just had this problem fixed last week under warranty with the same symptoms. It occurred on my way to work and I noticed my Spyder was flashing limp mode when I arrived but it ran fine. I was able to drive it back home after work (about 22 miles) with no problems. You should be fine driving your bike to the dealer if it's about a 15 minute drive. I called my dealer gave him the error code and he had the part in stock, the last one. I set up a appointment for repair, it's about an hour to replace the part. I trailered it to my dealer since he is 100 miles away.
    [B]

2018 Intense Red F3T (See About Me under My Profile for mods)
    2010 Timeless Black RT-622 Trailer
    2014 Timeless Black RTS-SE6, 34,300 Miles, traded May 2019
    2011 Timeless Black RTS-SE5, 15,180 Miles, traded April 2014

Spyder Garage

Thank you folks for the replies. The bike is at the shop in line to get looked at. They told him two to three days before they get to it. The weather sucks here this week, so he won't miss any riding tome.
    2016 RT-S Special Series
    Spyderpops LED Bumpskid

Spyder Garage

How do you check trigger wheel

Thanks
    Jwhat

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ex-Rocket View Post
    P0340 is a faulty crankshaft position sensor.
    WRONG! Camshaft position sensor.
    Just to correct an old post, that was brought up today

T.P.
    Last edited by T.P.; 03-27-2022 at 04:01 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Question MAPTS as CPS

T.P. -- slightly off topic here but I think the reason the 1330cc engine can continue running is the ECU using the MAPTS to detect camshaft position, although not to the granularity of the CPS. At least that's how it works on my RE. What do you think?
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike

Spyder Garage

Well, last week I was heading out to the Three-Wheeler Rally in Deadwood and with only 20 miles into the trip, my 2017 Spyder RTL went into limp home mode. Error code P0340. Got it home and thankfully my wife and I were able to share her Spyder for the rest of the week. I spent a part of it as a passenger and other parts I got to be in the driver's seat (my wife's Spyder, my wife's rules). Luckily, I didn't mind because I saw more of the Black Hills that I ever were from the driver's seat.

But the sad story is my dealer here can't see me until August 4th. I'm hoping I'm not going to have to wait even longer for parts to be ordered/received. Outside of the replacement of the camshaft position sensor is there any other potential parts that would need to be replaced? The only code is P0340...so I'm hoping this is a good indication that there are not other potential parts issues.
    Last edited by BryanSD; 07-16-2022 at 07:21 PM.

2017 Spyder RT Limited - Champagne Metallic Chrome
    - Wolo Bad Boy Horn, SPYDERPOPS Next Gen LED Bumpskid, SPYDERPOPS Double Vision Daytime Running Lights
    2021 Spyder RT Limited - Deep Marsala Metallic Dark
    - Replaced 2021 Stock Handlebars with F3 Stock Handlebars, BRP Adjustable Driver Backrest, Wolo Bad Boy Horn, SPYDERPOPS Double Vision Daytime Running Lights, SPYDERPOPS ""BRAKER BARS" Brake/Run Lights

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Question

The BRP CPS is actually quite common. Search for Bosch 0 261 210 159 and Rotax 966570

Circumstances have me with a spare CPS from a 2015 RT (basic) SM6 unknown mileage. Any interest if I put it up for sale?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BryanSD View Post
    Well, last week I was heading out to the Three-Wheeler Rally in Deadwood and with only 20 miles into the trip, my 2017 Spyder RTL went into limp home mode. Error code P0340. Got it home and thankfully my wife and I were able to share her Spyder for the rest of the week. I spent a part of it as a passenger and other parts I got to be in the driver's seat (my wife's Spyder, my wife's rules). Luckily, I didn't mind because I saw more of the Black Hills that I ever were from the driver's seat.

But the sad story is my dealer here can't see me until August 4th. I'm hoping I'm not going to have to wait even longer for parts to be ordered/received. Outside of the replacement of the camshaft position sensor is there any other potential parts that would need to be replaced? The only code is P0340...so I'm hoping this is a good indication that there are not other potential parts issues.
    Well thats too bad, Because I had two BRP cam position sensors with me at DW3 last week, We could have fixed your Spyder in the parking lot. The new BRP part # is 420664046
    T.P.
    Last edited by T.P.; 07-17-2022 at 02:38 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by T.P. View Post
    Well thats too bad, Because I had two BRP cam position sensors with me at DW3 last week, We could have fixed your Spyder in the parking lot. The new BRP part # is 420664046
    T.P.
    And I would have appreciated that. I told my wife when this happened it's too bad it was at the beginning of the trip instead of the end because I could have found someone related to DW3 that likely could fix this for me. I'm hoping my dealer has the part when my appointment arrives

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BryanSD View Post

Today my Spyder was serviced for the P0340 code and indeed it needed the camshaft position sensor. Normally they wouldn't have had the part and I would have waited another week for the Spyder to get serviced. But with the confidence this forum gave me, I ordered the part ahead of time so it was ready for them to put it into the Spyder. Three long weeks of no riding in the Summer...I hope I don't have to go through that again. I was tempted to put the part in myself...but since it was covered by BEST warranty it didn't make sense for me to take that gamble. Thanks to all who put the time in to write the posts that made me decide to purchase the part ahead of time so it was available for the service folks to put in.

Spyder Garage

Hi guys,

Sypder RT 2016

I just have the same issue. P0340. It seems to run fine.

Two questions please: a) does it make sense to take the panels off to see whether it is just dirty? b) can I still drive it to my dealer who is about 50 miles away? It is not under warranty.

Thanks
    Stef.

Spyder Garage

Default Code P0340

Hi guys,

I really want to love my Spyder 2016 but lately, it lets me down all the time. First, problems with my fuses, and then today suddenly Code P0340.

My dealer will be able to look at it in two weeks time. It is out of warranty...

Now as Can Am had a cyberattack I am worried that they cannot order the part.

Is there anywhere I can buy camshaft position sensor BRP part # 420664046?

I am in Canada but do not mind paying for getting it sent to me.

Another question: it seems to run fine. Can I drive it to the dealer which will be about 40 miles from home?

Thanks for all your help. At this moment in time I feel like crying... I just had the Spyder for three months and each time I am out and about I get limp mode and another issue...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SKME View Post
    Hi guys,

Sypder RT 2016

I just have the same issue. P0340. It seems to run fine.

Two questions please: a) does it make sense to take the panels off to see whether it is just dirty? b) can I still drive it to my dealer who is about 50 miles away? It is not under warranty.

Thanks
    Stef.
    The new BRP part # is 420664046, Just order one and put it in yourself
    T.P.

Spyder Garage

Long way to go in limp mode not really advisable, would definitely confirm dealer has & holding part for you FIRST

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

I had the same problem on my 2014 RTL in Montana a few years back. I could get it to run for maybe a 1/2 mile or 2 and then POOF. Same Code. Except, mine would roll over but never fire. Can your dealer order it or check elsewhere for inventory. Good Luck. I hope it makes it to the dealer/garage for assistance. GrandpaPete
    GrandpaPete
    2020 RT Limited , Marsala

Spyder Garage

Is it worthwhile trying to clean the camshaft position sensor?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...=1#post1638317

Quote Originally Posted by BertRemington View Post
    The BRP CPS is actually quite common. Search for Bosch 0 261 210 159 and Rotax 966570

Circumstances have me with a spare CPS from a 2015 RT (basic) SM6 unknown mileage. Any interest if I put it up for sale?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-12-2022 at 11:43 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display