Spyder Garage

Default Helmet Visor Fog

Hi everyone,

This is my first fall riding my Spyder, and as the temperatures drop i notice that my helmet fogs up and have to open my visor, as a result my face gets cold. I have done some research online people using different methods (shaving cream, toothpaste, etc) to prevent their visors from fogging up.

Can you guys please share your ways of dealing with this issue, Thank you and have a great week.
    2012 Can Am spyder RSS
    Weekend rider

Spyder Garage

Many of the helmets these days have an anti fog attachment for the face plates. I have never used mine--but they came will all my Nolan brand helmets. EDIT: pin lock anti fog attachment. Thank you fatcycledaddy.

On the full face versions--a small crack open to give some circulation worked going down the road. Opening more at stops was needed though.

No such problems with my modular versions. We do not use the chin guards.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 11-05-2018 at 02:28 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member Fatcycledaddy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

My Shark helmet came with a "Pinlock" anti fog shield attachment. https://www.pinlock.com/pinlock-anti-fog-lens-insert/
    This works great for the shield and never fogs up, but my glasses I have to wear still do.
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

I, too, have a pin lock anti-fog attachment and mine has never fogged up. Without that and a single piece face shield, you might try going to a snow ski shop. They have anti-fog cloths used on ski goggles. Worth a try. Good luck.....
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

I used a pin lock on my Aria helmet, but it didn’t stop my glasses from fogging. I also applied anti fog liquid to the shield, and that didn’t help with the glasses fogging. I used a balaclava, which redirected the airflow from my nose and that did the trick. I got the 1/2 one, from the nose down.

Spyder Garage

Same experience as everyone else with the pin lock. Works great but in my Schuberth modular the top part of the pin lock is in my sight line just enough to bug me a bit.
    2015 RTL , Yes Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Many of the helmets these days have an anti fog attachment for the face plates. I have never used mine--but they came will all my Nolan brand helmets. EDIT: pin lock anti fog attachment. Thank you fatcycledaddy.

On the full face versions--a small crack open to give some circulation worked going down the road. Opening more at stops was needed though.

No such problems with my modular versions. We do not use the chin guards.
    So I use the chin guard in mine but your post made me curious. Why don’t you use it? Since I installed the Sena it really doesn’t fit well anymore and I’ve thought of removing it.
    2015 RTL , Yes Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by LeftCoast View Post
    So I use the chin guard in mine but your post made me curious. Why don’t you use it? Since I installed the Sena it really doesn’t fit well anymore and I’ve thought of removing it.
    Neither one of us like the full face "locked in" feel. I prefer the open bottom and the feeling of being less confined.

I do know that this is not a good thing for "safety" issues. A personal choice--but not a recommendation unless you think of the possible consequences.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Neither one of us like the full face "locked in" feel. I prefer the open bottom and the feeling of being less confined.

I do know that this is not a good thing for "safety" issues. A personal choice--but not a recommendation unless you think of the possible consequences.
    We used open face for years, loved the amount of air, freedom of taking a drink while riding, and being able to talk to others at lights. I hated having to stop and add a shield when it rained, a chin bar when it got cold, and the lack of protection on the chin.
    I likes the modular, but didnt like that you could not ride with them open if you wanted more air.
    Found the Shark Evo One 2 and LOVE them. Now we have the best of both worlds.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Fatcycledaddy View Post
    We used open face for years, loved the amount of air, freedom of taking a drink while riding, and being able to talk to others at lights. I hated having to stop and add a shield when it rained, a chin bar when it got cold, and the lack of protection on the chin.
    I likes the modular, but didnt like that you could not ride with them open if you wanted more air.
    Found the Shark Evo One 2 and LOVE them. Now we have the best of both worlds.

Nice! I wonder if they make one large enough for my huge noggin!
    Bert

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by newbert View Post
    Nice! I wonder if they make one large enough for my huge noggin!
    After seeing this post I read some reviews and they said the helmet only comes in 2 shell sizes. Those 2 sizes would accommodate XS to XL heads. Those of us with 2 and 3X heads are SOL. But, I like my Nolan and can ride with the chin bar up and the sun shield down if I want. Same effect as the Shark. I just can't have the clear shield down with the chin bar up.
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    After seeing this post I read some reviews and they said the helmet only comes in 2 shell sizes. Those 2 sizes would accommodate XS to XL heads. Those of us with 2 and 3X heads are SOL. But, I like my Nolan and can ride with the chin bar up and the sun shield down if I want. Same effect as the Shark. I just can't have the clear shield down with the chin bar up.
    You are correct, they only go to the extra large size in this one.

I looked at the Nolan also, but I was told that you could not ride with the chin bar up, that the wind catching it could possibly wreck the pivot hinge breaking the helmet. If that's not the case, that is good to know!
    You know how it is, dealers tell you something and real world experience gives you different results.
    Thanks

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Some think that in cold weather they ought to close their helmet vents. The opposite is true, open up your chin vent and the rear vents. Sometimes that's enough air flow to prevent or reduce fogging. Mouth breathers should try to exhale thru their nose, usually that directs the warm breath DOWN and not forward into the visor.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Very Active Member cognaccruiser's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Going back to the OP's original question, my wife and I both wear modular full face helmets. Over quite a few years we have used a few different makes. Nolan, HJC, Shoei, Schuberth. Several have or had the pin-lock feature but quite honestly we have never used them and we have ridden in some pretty cool sub freezing temperatures on long trips.

All of these helmets have the ability to leave the face shield open 1 small click or notch and that is what we do for fogging. We also leave the vents open some amount too. On our Schuberth and Shoei helmets there are also vents on the top and we keep the rear vents open and that allows for ventilation through the helmets. Those helmets also have top front vents that we keep closed in cold weather. These helmets also have a piece that goes slightly above the nose to keep the warm air below the area in front of the eyes. Not all helmets may have that feature and we don't know what brand you are using.
    Hope this helps you out.

Gary
    States visited by Bike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Scuba

My brother does scuba diving, and he suggested using the stuff they use to keep their face-masks clear. It comes in a little bottle and you use a drop or two. I haven't used it yet, because that would involve remembering it and using it.
    ~Sandee~

~Sandee~
    2016 RT-L (Purchased used in February 2018)
    RT Dash Mount (from JT's Spyder Store)
    Kuryakin Trident Highway Pegs
    Hopnel Pouch
    Magic Mirrors
    Spyderpops Foam Handgrips
    Iron Butt #35273
    Girls on Spyders #2779

Spyder Garage
    Ed

They told me not to give up on my dreams, so I went back to sleep.

Champagne 2017 RTS SE6
    Quantum Blue 2012 RTS-SE5 "Bluebell, Bell for short" - Traded 09/2017

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Fatcycledaddy View Post
    You are correct, they only go to the extra large size in this one.

I looked at the Nolan also, but I was told that you could not ride with the chin bar up, that the wind catching it could possibly wreck the pivot hinge breaking the helmet. If that's not the case, that is good to know!
    You know how it is, dealers tell you something and real world experience gives you different results.
    Thanks
    Here are a couple pictures of my Nolan with the chin bar up. Ride like this often with no ill effects.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    Here are a couple pictures of my Nolan with the chin bar up. Ride like this often with no ill effects.
    I don't know what the DOT Regs are over there, but I believe that here in Aust, the Shark EVO Series Hinged Modular Helmets are the only 'hinged modular' helmets that are Approved to ride/use with the Chin bar up... I've seen the tickets issued to some for riding with their 'other brand' Modulars in the open position - yeah, could've been a ratbag move by the Cops; possibly more likely the response to aggro & mouthy punters; but either way, the tickets were tickets & they were issued for riding with the helmets 'open', cos technically here,, those helmets aren't approved for use without the chin bar in place & closed properly!!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    I don't know what the DOT Regs are over there, but I believe that here in Aust, the Shark EVO Series Hinged Modular Helmets are the only 'hinged modular' helmets that are Approved to ride/use with the Chin bar up... I've seen the tickets issued to some for riding with their 'other brand' Modulars in the open position - yeah, could've been a ratbag move by the Cops; possibly more likely the response to aggro & mouthy punters; but either way, the tickets were tickets & they were issued for riding with the helmets 'open', cos technically here,, those helmets aren't approved for use without the chin bar in place & closed properly!!
    Hey, Peter, good to hear from you. Here in Arid-Zone-A we don't even have to wear helmets. Personal choice. Only need one if you want to have a chance to survive a crash. Cops don't care either way..... Open, closed, makes no difference.
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Sounds like something we should have here.... actually letting someone make an informed choice for themselves... but then Oz does tend to be just a bit of a Nanny State that frequently legislates to help keep the lowest common denominator of ID 10 T operator alive at the expense of everyone else....
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I wear prescription glasses under my helmet and usually that fogs before the visor itself. I've been carrying some of those treated ski goggle wipes with me in winter. I wipe to glasses prior to putting on my helmet and it seems to help with the fogging issues.

https://www.amazon.com/Scott-Sports-.../dp/B003AZJIV4
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I cannot seem to find it now, but I had a small bottle of anti-fog spray that I got from my local Cycle Gear. It worked great. You can use an application about every 3-4 times out and it would not allow the visor to fog. They also sell the wipes, but I opted for the spray bottle, not knowing that I would misplace it.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white