Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Keeping spder under cover outside

Anyone have any problem keeping their spyder outside under a good cover..... Problems with moisture, rust or any other things I need to know about. I keep mine in a garage now, but need to put outside and I wonder if I should rent a storage space.
    Last edited by Ramrover; 11-04-2018 at 07:56 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Rent the indoor space...
    Covers are notorious for beating up on paint finished (Unless they are constantly monitored)
    Additionally: the dark recesses under the cover is leaving a GREAT place for all of the "Creepy-Crawlies" to take up residence. Once they're found a home: do you think that they won't find a way to fill your airbox with all sorts of garbage?
    Park indoors, and leave it uncovered. It's a whole lot easier to wash off some dust next Spring!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Beware that mice and other critters are looking for a nice place to hold up for the winter. Even if you put in storage, be sure to store with Decon.

Spyder Garage

Default a friends

if you know someone , with a warm garage , offer to pay them 30 a month till riding season again ... ( has too be a good friend , some one who will not take advantage of the situation )

Spyder Garage

I would ether store it or get a trailer if I had to put mine outside!Good luck
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

A good 10x10 storage unit works wonders. It's dry and you can store extra stuff in it if you need to.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

No no no!! Don't do it! Park the car outside, the lawnmower, bicycles, boat.. anything but the Spyder!
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

Default Try This....

Get rid of the need to put it outside.... but if you have the room to put it outside the shed would be a great idea. Maybe the need can be stored there...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

What can I say all of the above are correct.A couple maybe alarmist but still correct. I ignored all of the above and for three Utah winters 2 with lots of snow,I stored mine outside under a good tight fitting cover. I kept the snow cleared off so it didn't get lost under a pile,and kept star tron in the tank and a battery minder on the battery and she fired right up each spring,no bugs,no mice,no coons,, no nothing. I tried renting a storage unit,but other things ended up in there. earlier this fall I bought a 14x7 Haulmark and that is the new home for Charlotte and should work very well. You do what you have to do until you can do something better. Oh, no rust, no beat up paint, a little spray on detailer and she looks great.
    Last edited by pegasus1300; 11-09-2018 at 02:37 PM.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ramrover View Post
    Anyone have any problem keeping their spyder outside under a good cover..... Problems with moisture, rust or any other things I need to know about. I keep mine in a garage now, but need to put outside and I wonder if I should rent a storage space.
    I got something from these guys. Also available on Amazo.
    https://www.shelterlogic.com
    2011 Spyder RT-S
    LtCol, USAF Ret
    Proud Patriot Guard Rider
    2011 RT , Yes Blue

Spyder Garage

I note you are from GA. Not quite as bad as for those that live in the Northern tier.

I still vote for a storage unit + some decon, moth balls, or similar.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Talking of mice.
    A friends Tri-Glide was stored in his shed for the winter.
    In the spring it was dead.
    Harley voided his warranty because they don't warranty mice damage to electrical wiring.
    $2,300 later he realized what those little critters can do.
    Quote Originally Posted by RidinOn3 View Post
    Beware that mice and other critters are looking for a nice place to hold up for the winter. Even if you put in storage, be sure to store with Decon.

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Storing Your Spider

WELL.... to be quite honest I don't even like to keep my car outside,
    If you have room on your property and municipal codes are not a problem
    go get a Tuff Shed ( NOT A METAL SHED ) with a wide door and put it where you can ride into it.
    I did that when I lived in a trailer park and no garage and it worked out great.
    weather proof, I put power in it so I had lights, cost was about 800.00 but...
    what is your Spyder worth ?
    Only my opinion
    Ride Safe
    Dave

Spyder Garage

R

Rent a space for it please....leaving it under a cover is asking for critter invasion along with general weather related stuff. At a minimum keep it under/on something with a floor and sides......(bike barn). If ya rent a space you'll have room for some other stuff too...
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Default Depends on your usage

I think the answer really depends upon the type/length of non-riding situation you foresee for your Spyder. Since you live in Georgia, I assume you're likely to be riding it most of the year, and not really thinking of winter storage, per se. If you are going to lay the Spyder up for several months without using it, then maybe a warmer indoor storage location might be worth the cost, if it's within your budget. Plenty of guys in the south do just use a cover though, and seem to survive OK.

I have had my 2017 Spyder for a year and a half now. In all that time, It has never seen a garage or closed in space for a single night. I'm Canadian, but spend winters with my Spyder in mid-Florida, so it doesn't see snow or really freezing temperatures, though there are cool and/or wet days in both places. My bike sometimes gets to sit under a carport, but more often than not it's outside under a cover. At first, I used BRP's snug-fitting trailering cover; then I switched to a looser style, full cover by Nelson-Rigg. Either one keeps the rain off just fine; no moisture build up underneath. Also keeps the hot sun from beating down all day. I have had no bad issues.

Barely a week goes by that I don't ride 2 or 3 days, sometimes more. The cover comes off and goes back on fairly frequently, so I don't seem to experience any critter attacks or build-up. I did get some unwanted wear on my paint from trailering one time, and won't use a cover for that any more - if the Spyder gets wet or dirty on the road, it just gets washed and dried at the end of the trip.

So, my answer would be... storage cover depends on what your goal is. Are you looking for simple but adequate short-term or overnight protection or to prevent abuse from UV sunlight and inclement weather? Or, are you in need of longer-term storage during lay-up? If the latter, then you have good comments above from others. But short-term, intermittent use of a portable cover may do, and probably without creating rust or critter issues, etc.
    Last edited by bushrat; 11-04-2018 at 09:28 PM.
    [SIGPIC]
    2017 F3 Ltd. Intense Red Pearl/Metallic Black topside
    2017 F3Limited , lowered brake pedal Intense Red Pearl w. Metallic Black topside

Spyder Garage

My RSS stays out side a building all winter. It is in a spyder tent. I don't remember what brand it is, but I'll post it tomorrow. If I remember.

Try "Bike Barn".

My Spyder in the "Spyder Barn"...….20181108_101400_resized.jpg
    20181108_101452_resized.jpg
    Last edited by kep-up; 11-08-2018 at 10:30 AM. Reason: additional information

Spyder Garage

Here in Arid-Zone-A we "winterize" our bikes in the summer. Just too dang hot to ride comfortably. Many MC dealers offer summer storage for a very reasonable fee. The dealers business slows down in the summer so storage fees helps keep the doors open. Before I started living here full time, I stored mine as a dealer who kept it on a battery maintainer and made sure it was all safe for the summer. Then it would be fully serviced and ready to go when I was ready to start riding again in the Fall.
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

I've left all my 2 wheelers outside for 50 years and my Spyder for the last 4 years and have NEVER had a problem due to weather.

AJ

2014 RT-S
    Akrapovic Exhaust & Cat Bypass
    Bajaron Sway Bar w/links / Sena SM-10/Garmin 660
    Comfort Seat w Adjustable Backrest
    Decals by Purple Harley / Magic Strobe
    Kuryakyn Black Widow Pegs Rivco Highway Brackets
    Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder
    FOBO / Spyder Cuff / XM Radio w MC Antenna

2014 RT/S , Black

Spyder Garage

Im a firm believer in keeping everything in a shed. Buy a shed first ,then buy the toys to fill it, IMO

Spyder Garage

I kept my 2015 RTL under a BRP full cover outside for 3 years with no negative effects. A couple of dryer sheets under the cover may help deter pests, but I had no problems.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BilltheDiver View Post
    I kept my 2015 RTL under a BRP full cover outside for 3 years with no negative effects. A couple of dryer sheets under the cover may help deter pests, but I had no problems.
    Unless your parked in the shade ,the sun has a negative effect everything

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yup! Talk to an RV owner who has had their vinyl graphics fade: due to sunlight
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Methinks some of us worry way too much about mundane stuff.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    I would ether store it or get a trailer if I had to put mine outside!Good luck
    Since I bought an Ironhorse Wide-Body enclosed trailer, I've stored my Spyder for the winter in it with a battery maintainer hooked up to it
    Mike
    2021 Marsala Red Metallic RT Limited

Spyder Garage

Default I’ve done both

Have stored it in paid storage and kept it outside at home. It came back from storage dusty and evidence of mice . At home I built a platform for my lawn tractor and Spyder and cover both , keeping the snow cleared away and a battery tender on .... works good for me and no critters