Thread: Not happy

Spyder Garage

Cool Not happy

Not happy
    Went on vacation to Tennessee and brought the bike to ryde in the Smoky mountains. Rode up the mt stopped for lunch. After lunch decided to check the oil and it needed like 2oz. Put it in packed up and got ready to keep heading into the mtns. Bike gave me a hard time starting then the orange screen check engine. Finally got it started and it went in not limp mode. Shut it down took the key and walked away for about 5 min. Came back restarted all looked good. Headed back up the mtn behind a 2 wheeler hit the first big switch back keeping up with him and bam felt like someone dropped anchor. Limp mode. Crawled to the next pullout and stopped. Tried everything no luck so started going back down in limp mode with a max of 14mph. About halfway down pulled into a overlook and shut it down to let about 50 cars get past us. Decided to pull the codes. Looked them up and they said "throttle position sensor malfunction" great. Started up and seemed to run good so away we go heading to Mountain Motorsports hoping they could look at it. An hours ryde. Get there they say they are 2 weeks out but since we are out of town they will check in in the morning. Call Enterprise "the rental company that picks you up" yea fat chance they can't pick us up. So we take the bike 6 mile ryde runs great. Heading back still running good Roberta following in the rental so I push it. Great excelaration up to 70, hit some curves and take them hard no problem. Drop off the bike. Get a call at 10 am TPS is bad won't be able to get the part till Monday will try to get bike back to us by the end of the day Monday. So now we are in a cage till we get it back. Sucks seeing all these other bikes having fun in the Mountains.
    2010 RTSM5

2010 RTSM5 , stock Stock Silver

Spyder Garage

Default I wasn't happy either...

I had the same issue on my 2010 SM5. Had the TPS replaced and still had issues. Dealer cleaned the throttle body. Still same issues - codes, orange screen, ran and then didn't run...Had to replace the entire throttle body - which was a known issue at the time. There was a bulletin that BRP sent out about it. My dealer opened a case with BRP but all I got was "Sorry - bike too old." Anyway, it now runs like a champ. Hope yours is an easier fix.
    Jim

Ryde, eat, sleep.... repeat

2019 Spyder RT Limited Pearl White/Dark
    LaMonster drink holder with X-Grip
    LaMonster Belt Dampener
    Lamonster USB cable with extension

Variously called Stormtrooper, Pearl, and Goober by wife and various (friends?)

Spyder Garage

This is the stuff that gives people shivers concerning longer rides. Sorry to hear of your experiences. Hope the dealer can get it solved by Monday. So much for the "sense of urgency."

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Bummer, we just finished a 2 Spyder ('12 and '13) 4,800 mile 10 day ride and our worst malfunction was a blown Load Shedding 20 amp fuse (ACS, Horn, Heated Hand Grips, Fog lights) and discovered my ACS had a slow leak that's gotten worse. But the (5 and 6 year old) bikes were rideable, we did the Cherohala Skyway, TotD, and Devil's Triangle on the same rainy wet day. Burned a quart of oil over the 10 days, can't wait to see what the oil analysis tells us.
    Your situation was in the backs of our minds when we were 5 states from home, but we never had a ride stoppable situation. I feel for you, If I couldn't have finished the Big Three rides we wanted that day, that'd ruined the whole trip.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Zip View Post
    Not happy
    Well, then which one are you ??

OK, so much for the entertainment portion of the program.
    I had a similar issue in Gatlinburg TN riding the Dragon.
    Same story. Grante, that was in 2010.
    BRP needs to step up their service network dealing with a road vehicle instead of a recreation vehicle like a sled or a PWC.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Mountain Motorsports was good. Even though they had a 2 week backlog they looked at the bike the next day. They ordered the part and replaced it on the bike so that we had it back early Tuesday afternoon. They said that all looked good but to be aware that there may be a throttle body issue. So far so good, rode many miles the rest of the week. I have to say I was a little concerned taking it back up into the mountains.
    2010 RTSM5

2010 RTSM5 , stock Stock Silver

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Glad to hear that you got back up and running as soon as they possibly could!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

That's great that they got you up and running quickly. And it was a minor issue. But? Not happy? You're riding an 8 year old bike. **** happens. The TPS if I remember has a spring in it. Springs weaken over time. I had the TPS go bad in my Victory after only 2 years. Dealer had NAPA drop one off and I was on my way in no time. On an 8 year old bike. No dealer would have that in stock. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Spyder Garage

Well I am into 3 weeks on a throttle issue on a 2018 with50 miles on it. Been at mountain motorsports and really am starting to get a bit upset. Will call them later in the week to hear it’s not ready yet. I am starting to think I may have made a mistake....

Spyder Garage

Just got off phone with them, mountain motorsports...maybe Wednesday, next week. This is ridiculous....won’t deal with them ever again....

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wykoni View Post
    Just got off phone with them, mountain motorsports...maybe Wednesday, next week. This is ridiculous....won’t deal with them ever again....
    Sad to hear this about your dealer. Don't say or do anything to get them angry...until you have the bike back in your hands, and running like it should. Right now...they seem to be in control.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Sad to hear this about your dealer. Don't say or do anything to get them angry...until you have the bike back in your hands, and running like it should. Right now...they seem to be in control.
    Good advise! cueman

Spyder Garage

Totally agree...they have me right now....chill...keep cool....relax..lmao

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You're about the first "1130 bike"; that I've heard of throwing this code...
    Sorry to hear about the trouble you're having, and I hope that they you back up and running soon!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Bob, according to dealer no code. The throttle just was super hard to get it to change gears. Something not right. Anyway, changed the switch. Drove it saturday in rain. Will pick it up early next week. Stupid question, what is a 1130 bike. My bike is an f3 2018 with 1300 engine...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Dealers suck sometimes. I read and hear about the Spyder dealers disaster stories, but I can't say anything about that since I have a GW/Road Smith Trike. Getting a Honda to look at it on the road, forget it, my experience, they are totally rude when you ask. Yes, it gives give you shivers on the road and you pray nothing happens. I love tripping, but I hate the premonition of machine failure, takes a lot out of the journey.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wykoni View Post
    Bob, according to dealer no code. The throttle just was super hard to get it to change gears. Something not right. Anyway, changed the switch. Drove it saturday in rain. Will pick it up early next week. Stupid question, what is a 1130 bike. My bike is an f3 2018 with 1300 engine...
    Not 1130 - All F3's have the Rotax Triple 1330cc engine from 2015 to present. Older Can Ams have the Twin cylinder 998cc engine.

Spyder Garage

ALL F3's have the 1330 3cyc.motor
    ALL RT's from 2014 on have the 1330 3cycl motor.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We have to remember that Bob Denman is getting on in years and for him to make a typo is par for the course. After all 1130 is almost the same as 1330 when you type it!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

He is the guru all right, and check out the posts, over 92,000, beat that one.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by OJ UK View Post
    We have to remember that Bob Denman is getting on in years and for him to make a typo is par for the course. After all 1130 is almost the same as 1330 when you type it!
    Well, I don't know about that!!! After all, the 1 key is all the way across on the other side from the 3 key on the number keypad!!!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)