Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default another tire question

Does anyone know if the Bridgestone Potenza 175/55R 15 will fit the 2017 F3-S without any serious mods. Shortening bolts & the like is ok. Finding performance tires to fit the F3-S in Australia is quite difficult as the range of 15'' tires is very limited. Thanks.

Spyder Garage

Have you searched around the different sub-forums? Not to be unhelpful, but this has been asked and answered by several of your Auzzie brethren.

I know what's available in your country is not the same as elsewhere, but I recall it was specifically addressed.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KX5062 View Post
    Have you searched around the different sub-forums? Not to be unhelpful, but this has been asked and answered by several of your Auzzie brethren.

I know what's available in your country is not the same as elsewhere, but I recall it was specifically addressed.
    Thanks KX5062, I've looked at some sub-forums & couldn't find the answer. I'll search deeper.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KX5062 View Post

That was predominantly in relation to the Kuhmo KH17 in a 175/60, KX. A Bridgestone Potenza in 175 may have a different “actual” width to a Kuhmo 175. Unless someone comes back with a specific answer, Treva, you might have to try searching for an actual width for the Bridgestone. The 175 Kuhmo is as wide as you can go. I did shorten the bolts, even for the Kuhmo, just in case, but it would have been fine (just) without that mod

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    That’s interesting, Pete. Thanks. It looks like not averyone uses The Tire and Rim Association specs though. Some tyres labelled as 205 can be up to an inch different in actual width dependent on manufacturer. That’s why this question is so hard to answer definitively.

Pete.
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    That was predominantly in relation to the Kuhmo KH17 in a 175/60, KX. A Bridgestone Potenza in 175 may have a different “actual” width to a Kuhmo 175. Unless someone comes back with a specific answer, Treva, you might have to try searching for an actual width for the Bridgestone. The 175 Kuhmo is as wide as you can go. I did shorten the bolts, even for the Kuhmo, just in case, but it would have been fine (just) without that mod

Pete
    Thanks Pete, I rang Bob Jane about the width/profile of the potenza & was informed it was 175mm wide & 10mm higher IE 5mm at bottom of tire & 5mm at top. I'm sure the profile will be ok. Is the Kuhmo 175/60 width actually 175mm? By the way is the kuhmo called Solus & what do you think of them regarding grip dry/wet, stability, comfort & all round performance? Look forward to your reply.
    Treva.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Thanks UP, really good info.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by treva View Post
    Thanks Pete, I rang Bob Jane about the width/profile of the potenza & was informed it was 175mm wide & 10mm higher IE 5mm at bottom of tire & 5mm at top. I'm sure the profile will be ok. Is the Kuhmo 175/60 width actually 175mm? By the way is the kuhmo called Solus & what do you think of them regarding grip dry/wet, stability, comfort & all round performance? Look forward to your reply.
    Treva.
    It’s the Kuhmo Solus KH17, Treva. Mounted, my best actual measurement for the 175 is 165 (but I don’t have an accurate gauge that measures that wide). Did someone at Bob Jane duck out the back and measure the real width of the Potenza, or just quote the specs? It was this sort of labelling differential that persuaded me to go with a brand/size that was already proven on the Spyder.

I really like the Kuhmo, as I find it good in all the categories you mention above. So do many Aussies (some of them really quick Aussies), but many Americans don’t like them so much as some find them slippery in the wet. No one has yet found out why there appears to be a difference as nearly all Aussies running them don’t have issues in the wet. Another thing to consider is that I am 6’7” and 140kgs, so I may be putting different loads on the tyre to many solo riders

Have you had a look on OzSpyderRiders forum? There are a lot of discussions on available tyres in Aus, and their fit and performance.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Spyder Garage

It’s the Kuhmo Solus KH17, Treva. Mounted, my best actual measurement for the 175 is 165 (but I don’t have an accurate gauge that measures that wide). Did someone at Bob Jane duck out the back and measure the real width of the Potenza, or just quote the specs? It was this sort of labelling differential that persuaded me to go with a brand/size that was already proven on the Spyder.

I really like the Kuhmo, as I find it good in all the categories you mention above. So do many Aussies (some of them really quick Aussies), but many Americans don’t like them so much as some find them slippery in the wet. No one has yet found out why there appears to be a difference as nearly all Aussies running them don’t have issues in the wet. Another thing to consider is that I am 6’7” and 140kgs, so I may be putting different loads on the tyre to many solo riders

Have you had a look on OzSpyderRiders forum? There are a lot of discussions on available tyres in Aus, and their fit and performance.

Pete
    Thanks for the reply Pete. I think they quoted from the spec. I'll visit BJ tomorrow & check out the widths etc personally.

I have just joined the OzSpyderRiders forum which i'll sus out. I may end up purchasing Kuhmos.

Treva.

Spyder Garage

I ran the Solus in 175R55-15 on the RT for 40,000 miles and I thought they could have been better in the rain, but never had an issue.
    I am currently running Vredestine Quatric 5's on my F3s in the 175R55-15. These have been even better than the Kuhmo.

No problem as long as I space them out by putting a washer between the fender mount and the fender. Only needed to do this for very aggressive cornering as the tire would then rub the lower inside fender.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

I am using the Kumho Ecowing 175/50 R15 75H runing at 19-20 PSI and have done so far 49000 Kl on them and still Ks left on them and I'm not a slow rider and now on my 3rd rear since fitting them.
    And you do NOT have to cut bolts / screws alter or change any thing before fitting them they go straight on.

I have now done over 68,400 Kl on my 2015 F3
    Last edited by Bruce B; 11-04-2018 at 02:16 PM.

Spyder Garage

Just to clarify......I used the term “shorten the bolts”, which is not actually correct. I just went to the local “nuts and bolts” shop and bought cup head screws to replace the OEM screws whose heads protrude 4mm or so into the wheel well. I don’t believe it was necessary, but simply for added piece of mind.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PW2013STL View Post
    I ran the Solus in 175R55-15 on the RT for 40,000 miles and I thought they could have been better in the rain, but never had an issue.
    I am currently running Vredestine Quatric 5's on my F3s in the 175R55-15. These have been even better than the Kuhmo.

No problem as long as I space them out by putting a washer between the fender mount and the fender. Only needed to do this for very aggressive cornering as the tire would then rub the lower inside fender.
    Thank you PW2013STL.
    Treva

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce B View Post
    I am using the Kumho Ecowing 175/50 R15 75H runing at 19-20 PSI and have done so far 49000 Kl on them and still Ks left on them and I'm not a slow rider and now on my 3rd rear since fitting them.
    And you do NOT have to cut bolts / screws alter or change any thing before fitting them they go straight on.

I have now done over 68,400 Kl on my 2015 F3
    Thanks Bruce B. You are certainly racking up the k's.

Spyder Garage

Thanks Bruce B. You are certainly racking up the k's.
    Yep Treva, its there to ride not site in its shed but the weather has been a bit of a hold up but summers is on its way so hopefully less rain, I ride all year round here but don't leave home in the rain.
    Last edited by Bruce B; 11-05-2018 at 02:16 PM.

Spyder Garage

Pete
    With your height & weight [ bloody giant ] i'd say you are right regarding putting different loads on the tyres.

Spyder Garage

I've just fitted the Bridgestone Potenza RE050A 175/55R 15 with no clearance issues at all. Fitted the Bridgestone Adrenalin RE003 205/55R 15 on the rear. Could have physically fitted a 215/55, but the aspect ratio/profile versus the front tires may have thrown the nanny into confusion.

I'm running 18/20 psi front/rear to start with but that may change. I cannot believe the difference in grip which is staggering compared to the kendras, along with straight line stability & braking. So good is the difference, i'm about to fit the same tires to my RT.

Anyone who hasn't fitted good car tires don't know what there missing. My only regret is not fitting them sooner.

Spyder Garage

Great to hear, Treva...... I just put Bridgestone Potenza on my AWD and love them. I too, could not believe the difference in the general handling and comfort that the Kumhos gave me.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Spyder Garage

Thanks UP, really good info.
    https://tiresize.com/calculator/
    I think this may be a better way to compare tire sizes.
    Monique,
    2016 F3t pearl white
    Ultimate driver back rest
    12v power outlet for batt. tender
    Doc Humphries' vibration damper
    factory floorboards
    added topcase

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rays hell View Post
    https://tiresize.com/calculator/
    I think this may be a better way to compare tire sizes.
    Good one rays hell, I've just added it to my bookmarks. Thanks, Treva.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Tire size calculators will give you a mathematical SIZE ………. However the actual size of any tire sold depends on the manufacturer. If you think every 165/60 - 15 tire is exactly the same - - - Well they aren't.... You really need to see what the tire maker states the dimensions are...…, Mike

Spyder Garage

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Tire size calculators will give you a mathematical SIZE ………. However the actual size of any tire sold depends on the manufacturer. If you think every 165/60 - 15 tire is exactly the same - - - Well they aren't.... You really need to see what the tire maker states the dimensions are...…, Mike
    You are spot on, that's why i actually went to the tire dealer to compare sizes etc. Thanks BK911.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I've just fitted the Bridgestone Potenza RE050A 175/55R 15 with no clearance issues at all. Fitted the Bridgestone Adrenalin RE003 205/55R 15 on the rear. Could have physically fitted a 215/55, but the aspect ratio/profile versus the front tires may have thrown the nanny into confusion.

I'm running 18/20 psi front/rear to start with but that may change. I cannot believe the difference in grip which is staggering compared to the kendras, along with straight line stability & braking. So good is the difference, i'm about to fit the same tires to my RT.

Anyone who hasn't fitted good car tires don't know what there missing. My only regret is not fitting them sooner.
    I'm using your post as a quote, because you brought up the possibility of a tire size conflicting / upsetting the NANNY...….Because the Spyder suspension design restricts what tire sizes can be used, the difference between the front and rear tires ( even at extreme differences ) isn't large enough to Upset the Nanny. This is assuming you are using Stock BRP wheels or aftermarket that match the BRP sizes ……. Mike