Spyder Garage

Default problem with right saddlebag latch

greetings all, I have been having a problem with the right saddlebag releasing properly since I purchased our 2014 RT Limited last fall. Upon close inspection, it became obvious the lead 'barrel' on the end of the pull cable has been dislodged from where it needs to be. How do I get to that critter to get it reseated properly? I have already removed a lot of torx bolts all around the bag and removed the lid. Still nothing seems to have been freed up to give me access to correct this problem. Am I going to have to remove seat, top-case, etc? Or is there an easier way? Patiently waiting for your wisdom. The picture is of the right-front latch where the problem seems to be in the red circle. thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2014 RT Limited , pewter (magnesium?)

Spyder Garage

Default GOT IT!

OKIE DOKIE! I sat and looked things over a bit and figured out how to adjust the cable tension. It turns out that first picture did not show the problem at all. It's supposed to look that way on the inside. How do I know? I looked at the left side that works perfectly ( DUH on me). I then decided to remove the rear panel that surrounds the back of the trunk to see if there might be a way to adjust the cable tension. YUP there is. In my collage here the green circles represent screws that must be removed to access the adjusters. (red ovals) The saddlebag shock will need to be unhooked at the top on both sides and the screws marked on those including the yellow circle will need to be removed on both sides. The four screws across the top under the lid of the trunk have to come out. At each side the 'wing' part that wraps around the side needs to be worked out carefully so as to not break the tabs that fit down into the slots. Where you see the blue line and yellow circle is where mine had the tabs broken off on both sides. It's one of those deals where you have to do a little twisting and flexing of the panel while lifting the tabs out of their slots. I can understand why it would be easy to break those tabs. Then the rear panel can be gently lifted up and back just a bit so some inner tabs (red squares) can be lifted out of their spots. Once the rear panel is removed the cable adjustment mechanisms are exposed and work just like the old cable adjusters did on bicycle cables years ago. If a little more is required the three screws on the black fender can be removed to drop it down out of the way.

Spyder Garage

agree with previous answer. These luggage cables are notorious for stretching. The adjustment is really a simple deal.
    I'm guessing you are gonna be okay. It happened to me and my 2014 too, and someone here talked me through it.
    Flatlander, Navy Veteran, Widower
    Loved my 2014 RTS SE6 Pearl white
    but have a new love now,
    my 2017 RTS SE6 Champagne metallic (Champ)

Spyder Garage

Default great job !

hey texas , that was great detective work on your side , and those photos were dang nice , ( how did you get those colors to appear around the target area ? ) 2011 left saddle on mine sometimes opens sometimes needs a nudge to pop open ...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by youngers View Post
    hey texas , that was great detective work on your side , and those photos were dang nice , ( how did you get those colors to appear around the target area ? ) 2011 left saddle on mine sometimes opens sometimes needs a nudge to pop open ...
    thanks. it helps that I grew up in farming country working for farmers until I was out of high school. those guys teach young people how to think.

as for the colors in the photos; I used MS Paint and just picked the shape and color I needed to make things easier to describe. If you use PC it is already in your operating package somewhere. Don't know what Macs have.

Here is a screen shot of a screen shot showing what part of Paint to use to get the ovals.

Spyder Garage

Default Lots had it.

lot's of folks had the left bag needs a nudge. Came from the factory like that. It's the cable ajuster. There is a long thread in here some where with pictures and instructions. My 2013 had it.

Quote Originally Posted by youngers View Post