Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Ryder, a winner for Can Am

The Ryker looks to be a winner for Can Am with all the positive reviews. I like the shaft drive, single swing arm, and slick looking rear wheel. People are saying it would not be good for touring. I guess that remains to be seen.
    Last edited by OldDog; 11-01-2018 at 03:30 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default Your right....

We shall see though I believe that it was not intended to be a touring unit. Folks will modify it adding bag and baggage, windshields and all the other needed items to make it fit the need. Perhaps once done they will find it better to just get the one already set up for it. Guess that would be the F3L
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by OldDog View Post
    The Ryker looks to be a winner for Can Am with all the positive reviews. I like the shaft drive, single swing arm, and slick looking rear wheel. People are saying it would not be good for touring. I guess that remains to be seen. P
    It's not designed specifically for touring, as the Spyder RT is, but any bike can be used for touring. I had a Yamaha VStar for 10 years before buying the Spyder, and I used it exclusively for touring. There were some compromises in power, comfort and luggage capacity, but it worked.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

I tour on a Yamaha 500 T-Max scooter when traveling one up. Haven't had any problems going where I wanted to go or any problems keeping up with anyone yet. As UtahPete said, any bike is a touring bike. It isn't the bike it's the rider. I think the Rykers would make a great solo touring rig, just get it equipped the way you want and hit the road.

2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

touring rig ? maybe. The sure thing, is that BRP is going to sell a TON of these.
    Some current ryders are talking about adding a ryker to the stable.
    Flatlander, Navy Veteran, Widower
    Loved my 2014 RTS SE6 Pearl white
    but have a new love now,
    my 2017 RTS SE6 Champagne metallic (Champ)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 4 MARIE View Post
    touring rig ? maybe. The sure thing, is that BRP is going to sell a TON of these.
    yes my wife has been looking at them. She's had her license for years. She just hope's they will come out with a more comfortable seat for them. I guess we'll have to wait and see what comes out in after market stuff.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 4 MARIE View Post
    Dealers are going to have a bunch of them to sell. The minimum order is 20 units.
    Mike
    2021 Marsala Red Metallic RT Limited

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I haven't ridden one yet, but got to sit on one at Texas Hill Country. The seat isn't as uncomfortable as it looks, but I don't know how it would do for an all day ride. I had just two ergo problems: I couldn't reach the shifter with my left foot because my legs are too short; and the handle bars need to be switched to something that bends more to the rider for my short arms.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Default High End Ryker or Slight Used RT/F3?

You should be able to accessorize the Ryker to a level that would be comfortable for touring. The problem though is as the accessorized cost hits the $12,000-$13,000 range with those accessories for a few thousand dollars more into the price point of a used low-mileage Spyder. In some cases you might find a leftover new Spyder on the lot for just a few thousand dollars more. For example, I have my eye on a new 2017 F3-T left at a regional dealership for just around $16,500.

I haven't seen the Ryker in person, but with the videos I've seen what has me intrigued is that the Ryker's total cost of ownership should remain pretty low. Although I'd miss the frunk found in the RT and F3, what's under the hood of a Ryker looks like routine maintenance will be a whole lot simpler on the Ryker than it is on the Spyder.

2017 Spyder RT Limited - Champagne Metallic Chrome
    - Wolo Bad Boy Horn, SPYDERPOPS Next Gen LED Bumpskid, SPYDERPOPS Double Vision Daytime Running Lights
    2021 Spyder RT Limited - Deep Marsala Metallic Dark
    - Replaced 2021 Stock Handlebars with F3 Stock Handlebars, BRP Adjustable Driver Backrest, Wolo Bad Boy Horn, SPYDERPOPS Double Vision Daytime Running Lights, SPYDERPOPS ""BRAKER BARS" Brake/Run Lights

Spyder Garage

Just put my $250 deposit and its coming in December along with 9 0thers to my dealer. He will also have a Spring shipment of about 14 more. Got the 900cc (Non Rally) and No Prep or Shipping although the dealer said it takes a couple hours to put together. Just sales tax and the $250 Covers Registration stuff. I can ride ALL winter in CT because the main roads always get cleared good. Thermal Suit, Warm & Safe glove liners, balaclava and wool socks and I'm all set.
    I'm so Pumped because I figured they would not be here till March-April?

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge707 View Post
    Just put my $250 deposit and its coming in December along with 9 0thers to my dealer. He will also have a Spring shipment of about 14 more. Got the 900cc (Non Rally) and No Prep or Shipping although the dealer said it takes a couple hours to put together. Just sales tax and the $250 Covers Registration stuff. I can ride ALL winter in CT because the main roads always get cleared good. Thermal Suit, Warm & Safe glove liners, balaclava and wool socks and I'm all set.
    Many on the site are going to be looking forward to your riding evaluation of the Ryker now that you have bought one. And...it sounds like you got a pretty good price.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Many on the site are going to be looking forward to your riding evaluation of the Ryker now that you have bought one. And...it sounds like you got a pretty good price.
    Yeah- I have known Bob about 30 Years since I bought my 1989 Sea-Doo and bought 14 More of them and 3 Spyders through the years so he Never charged me the Freight/Prep stuff.
    The southern folks should be reporting also because they might get there earlier in the month? I declined to trade in the F3 because I can get more for it Next summer OR the summer after as some Ryker riders want to move up to the Big Boys! I will be content with 2 again until I feel certain the Ryker does everything I need it to do.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MikeT View Post
    Dealers are going to have a bunch of them to sell. The minimum order is 20 units.
    Mike
    that makes no sense at all.
    Share with us your source for that please.
    20 units is not required now with all the different Spyder models.
    Adding 20 units would cause many small dealers some problems with floor plan costs.

2017 F3, SM6-basic black, plain and simple

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge707 View Post
    got me the same kind of deal on the rally with army green panels plus 500 dollars below list 2018-10-28_LI (3).jpg

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ofdave View Post
    Adding 20 units would cause many small dealers some problems with floor plan costs.
    With BRP, nothing seems the same all over. My dealer said his minimum was twelve. Regardless, that was enough to cause him to discontinue selling the Spyder line.

I have mentioned it a couple times, but will again. Alaska now has NO dealers to sell Spyders. Dealer said they would do service for one final year. Will let you folks know how that works out.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Winnex3 View Post
    got me the same kind of deal on the rally with army green panels plus 500 dollars below list 2018-10-28_LI (3).jpg
    It can be done!!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ofdave View Post
    My dealer had to order 30. They did not want to order that many, but were told they had to. Now they have to figure out where to put the $9,600 display that they also had to take. BRP told my dealer that they expect to loose up to 20% of their dealers due to the Ryker requirements
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Not my cup o tea. I still think the younger crowd will go for two wheels first. Demo'd in Texas and was not the least bit impressed. Personally it's kind of like a

play I once saw. The name was "Much ado about Nothing".

I think too much of my Wife and Children to put them on this Beast with no protection against the elements. It comes "Bare Bones" and to out fit it for the

road would be way North of 16K. No place for luggage, groceries etc.

Hate to rain on anyones parade but seriously look at it in person, sit on it, drive it and make up your own mind.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post

Not my cup o tea. I still think the younger crowd will go for two wheels first. Demo'd in Texas and was not the least bit impressed. Personally it's kind of like a

I think too much of my Wife and Children to put them on this Beast with no protection against the elements. It comes "Bare Bones" and to out fit it for the

Hate to rain on anyones parade but seriously look at it in person, sit on it, drive it and make up your own mind.

Jack
    Funny, I rode one thought it was fun, rear trunk and saddle bag available.
    Last edited by Highwayman2013; 11-05-2018 at 08:32 AM.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Jack
    I haven't rode one yet, but for all the negatives you talk about the Ryker (no storage, bare bones, no protection against elements, etc) they are all there for two-wheelers too. I think the Ryker will be perfect for all those people (mostly younger adults) that ride around my city in their street-legal ATVs that rarely take them off-road. Not sure where you get $16K because when I accessorized to meet my needs (windshield, storage, etc) I got around $12-13K. I do agree though with where you're going with this though, if I wanted a 3-wheeler for the 200+ mile trips it wouldn't be the Ryker. But for nearby city/country driving as a second three-wheeler in the family...the Ryker has my attention.

I don't know about two-wheels instead of three-wheels argument for the younger crowd as the demographics are changing. Meeting motorcycle licensing requirements as a beginner is no longer cheap in both time and money (if you include the lessons). A lot of younger people also don't see the need to ride a motorcycle period as their car, a scooter or Uber/Lyft in the city suffice to meet their needs. I think this is also why Can-Am doesn't just see their future to include the Ryker but also to include the states to lower their motorcycle requirements for three-wheelers. Younger folks as whole just aren't as interested in riding a motorcycle so I think the Ryker is aimed at those that never thought they would get a motorcycle in the first place...but at this price point, ease of use, and level of fun they might be interested.

- Wolo Bad Boy Horn, SPYDERPOPS Next Gen LED Bumpskid, SPYDERPOPS Double Vision Daytime Running Lights
    - Replaced 2021 Stock Handlebars with F3 Stock Handlebars, BRP Adjustable Driver Backrest, Wolo Bad Boy Horn, SPYDERPOPS Double Vision Daytime Running Lights, SPYDERPOPS ""BRAKER BARS" Brake/Run Lights

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

does anyone remember in the '90's when hyundai came to u.s. and introduced the excel? well it was an inexpensive
    NEW car for those that couldn't or didn't want to spend a lot, anyway kids would buy the car and put 5k in wheels and
    stereo and this was in the 1990's when the car went for $4,995 new.
    My point being, is this what will happen with the ryker?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BryanSD View Post
    I haven't rode one yet, but for all the negatives you talk about the Ryker (no storage, bare bones, no protection against elements, etc) they are all there for two-wheelers too. I think the Ryker will be perfect for all those people (mostly younger adults) that ride around my city in their street-legal ATVs that rarely take them off-road. Not sure where you get $16K because when I accessorized to meet my needs (windshield, storage, etc) I got around $12-13K. I do agree though with where you're going with this though, if I wanted a 3-wheeler for the 200+ mile trips it wouldn't be the Ryker. But for nearby city/country driving as a second three-wheeler in the family...the Ryker has my attention.

I don't know about two-wheels instead of three-wheels argument for the younger crowd as the demographics are changing. Meeting motorcycle licensing requirements as a beginner is no longer cheap in both time and money (if you include the lessons). A lot of younger people also don't see the need to ride a motorcycle period as their car, a scooter or Uber/Lyft in the city suffice to meet their needs. I think this is also why Can-Am doesn't just see their future to include the Ryker but also to include the states to lower their motorcycle requirements for three-wheelers. Younger folks as whole just aren't as interested in riding a motorcycle so I think the Ryker is aimed at those that never thought they would get a motorcycle in the first place...but at this price point, ease of use, and level of fun they might be interested.

Well thought out reply. Perhaps your right but the proof in the pudding will be in the amount of sales and profit as it is with anything. I am sure they did their

research before the investment. Time will tell. I do hope they are successful however.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PW2013STL View Post
    My dealer had to order 30. They did not want to order that many, but were told they had to. Now they have to figure out where to put the $9,600 display that they also had to take. BRP told my dealer that they expect to loose up to 20% of their dealers due to the Ryker requirements
    I could not help but notice the minimum order 30 in this post and that BRP expects to lose 20% of their dealers over the minimum order policy. If the 20% loss of dealers is out there, and is currently a consideration--I wonder if the Spyder brand will survive. The remaining dealers will surely get more business--but which dealers (good or bad reps) will still be around to service?

When Spyder first came out (here 2008)--dealer said he had to order a $15K display set up, as well as a LOT of parts/accessories inventory. In the early days you could buy many accessories right from the sales floor. Now, pretty much everything needs to be pre-ordered. I always make sure parts for any work are in stock--before I bring it in. I don't want it to sit for a week waiting on parts. Got burned on this once already.

Sorry about the gloom & doom. Currently, if I stay here in AK, I am being thrown to the wolves by BRP--and I am pretty sure I was one of their best Spyder customers here (five owned total, and two currently in the garage). Between the five Spyders and five Kawi's since 2001--I have spent a little over $200K with the dealer. In that context--a lot of money for toys from one dealer.

Polaris and the Victory MC comes to mind with a similar situation.

A concept from Managerial Accounting comes to mind here. It is referred to as the "death spiral." It has to do with closing departments of big box stores, or divisions of companies.

Units that are losing some money--once killed, cause the surviving units to lose more money. This is because "allocated" costs across all units are now "re-allocated" to the remaining units--most of the time causing them to lose additional money--making them also ripe for closing.

A simple concept--but a lot of companies don't get it until it is to late. I know a University that is going through the same stuff.

The "consumer advocate" thing is kicking in here.

Last edited by ARtraveler; 11-05-2018 at 05:12 PM.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hey Paul!
    Welcome back: you "Old Dog"!
    Where have you been hiding?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Well thought out reply. Perhaps your right but the proof in the pudding will be in the amount of sales and profit as it is with anything. I am sure they did their

research before the investment. Time will tell. I do hope they are successful however.

Jack
    Yep, I'll be right there with you in letting time tell the tale. I too hope the Ryker's are successful because as long as the demand of any three-wheelers increases I think that's a good thing for the Spyder line as a whole too.