Thread: TIRE PSI

Spyder Garage

Default TIRE PSI

So as we all know on the stock tires from factory it says 28-30 psi on those Kenda. So what about other tires? I did the same size tire but in the KUMHO ESCTA one. Think it said max was 51PSI. So should I stay at 30 PSI or go higher since it’s a different tire?

Spyder Garage

Also no places around here will balance the tire. Only mount. So hope the wheel weights on it now are fine

Spyder Garage

Default Doubt it....

there are other ways to balance it you have no shop to help. Most will mount but do not line up the mounting marks or even know about them. I hear the balancing disks that Lamonster garage has work well. Then there are some balancing beads and liquids that I don't care for but others do. As to the air pressure....the kuhomo tire is much stiffer with the added plys so I would go lower than the OEM kenda. If you feel the back end bouncing especially in corners lower the pressure.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member SteveLaoyster's Avatar
    Spyder Garage
    AKA Jud Smales, Four Year Spyder Ryder!
    "Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati"

The Critter 2016 RT-S
    Cat Bypass from Lamonster
    BajaRon Sway Bar
    Hella dual horns with relay
    BRP Hitch with trailer module
    Foam Grips
    Adjustable Air Deflectors
    Driver & Passenger Gel Pads in Seat
    Shorty antenna
    Ultraguard half cover
    Gremlin bell from my son
    Break Stripe Kit from Wrap My Spyder
    2016 RT-S , stock not yet Pearl White

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

If you still have the wheel off the spyder you can check the balance with the wheel on the axle between two jack stands.
    Stick on weights are available at auto parts stores or Harbor Freight.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

I am running my front and rear Kumhos at 18psi, Strider, as are many others. I chose that based on info and data provided on here, and it works perfectly for me. However, others have found that they like the feel and handling at around 26psi. There is definitely no need to go higher for the reasons Gene mentions above, plus the Kumho has a stiffer sidewall to carry a much heavier load than the Spyder, so a lower psi works perfectly to provide a softer ride and better adhesion than running them at car tyre pressures.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Highwayman2013, very good suggestion and is to do.

Joe
    Lamonster Bright Ryder,
    Lamonster Bright Tail Lighter,
    Lamonster H4 LED Headlights,
    Lamonster LED Fog Lights,
    Lamonster Fog Light Ring Combo,
    Rox Riser
    Lamonster Driver Back Rest,
    Lamonster Frame Mount Drink Holder.
    Lamonster 15" Freedom Shield Wind Shield
    ******* USA flag
    Freecom 2 head sets
    Mirror Wedgies by Squared Away
    Motorcycle Dave's Tachform phone cradle
    Spyderpops Turnsignal LEDs
    Spyder Sisters Shade
    Spyderpops LidLocs
    Spyderpops front fender LEDs by Show Chrome
    Motorcycle Dave's Gel seat insert
    2018 F3L , Blue

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I adjusted my pressure on my Kumho before going to the rally in Maggie Valley. I set my rear at around 20-22 and my front Kenda at 19-20. It handled well going 2 up. But this weekend, I did a day trip up to the mountains for some spirited riding, and it did GREAT!. So I think I will be sticking with that for a while.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

18 to 20 on the Kumho rear!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

I run my new rear kumho at 22-23 for a 195 lb single rider and in the cooler 50 degree rides it will "Slip" some on spirited shifting - I would Not go above 22-23 and 19-20 is probably a better pressure!

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

Right now my Vredsteins in front are 16psi and the kumho in rear is 35.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Stridersr7 View Post
    Right now my Vredsteins in front are 16psi and the kumho in rear is 35.
    Way to high on the rear. When I did run the Kumho I ran it at 28# and wore out the center. That showed I was way to high a pressure. I now run my rear car tires at 18# which geves me a good tire wear as well as the best in handling.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PW2013STL View Post
    Way to high on the rear. When I did run the Kumho I ran it at 28# and wore out the center. That showed I was way to high a pressure. I now run my rear car tires at 18# which geves me a good tire wear as well as the best in handling.

So you run your KUHMO at 18 now?

Spyder Garage

So how about this. 200lb driver run 18PSI? What about when I ride a passenger of avg 200lbs? So 400lbs still ride at 18PSI?

Spyder Garage

So how about this. 200lb driver run 18PSI? What about when I ride a passenger of avg 200lbs? So 400lbs still ride at 18PSI?
    I’m 330lbs and run my Kumhos at 18psi, Strider. I still ride at 18psi when my 130lb co pilot hops on. I see no change in performance.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Yes. But if it makes you feel better, you could go a little higher but I wouldn't go above 20 or so. I run 18 in all 3 tires. With all gear and bike loaded normally, my payload is about 300#s. After 14,000 miles all 3 tires are wearing evenly and all have way more than half life left. I went through 2 rear Kendas at about 8,000 miles each aired up to spec. before switching to CTs. After experiencing the improved handling, longevity, and lower cost of CTs, I will never go back to Kenda.
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

I am 200# and my wife is 145# and we pull a loaded RT622 trailer at 18# in all 3 tires. Done this for 1000's of miles - works great!
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Also no places around here will balance the tire. Only mount. So hope the wheel weights on it now are fine
    Meineke muffler will balance.

Spyder Garage

I took my old tires (Kendas) and wheels along with my new tires to Costco. They mounted and balanced the new tires. No questions asked. Also got nitrogen.
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Warning.......
    Remove the old wheel weights !!!!
    they were there to balance the OLD TIRE not the new tire.
    Any good tire store can balance your tires front AND back but you will have to remove the back tire
    and take it in to them. the air pressure on the tire is the MAX pressure air on a car your Spyder is much lighter
    so 51 lbs would be way to much pressure, start with the Spyder recommended air and go from there.

Spyder Garage

I have the stock Kenda's still on front on 2014 RTL , and I have 30,000 on bike, so the fronts have 30,000 miles, and I run them at 19psi. The rear is a Kuhmo, and it has a little over 20,000 with somewhat good tread left, and I run the rear at 28 psi.
    2014 Can Am Spyder RT Limited - Pearl White
    2010 Can Am Spyder RT - Full Moon

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SteveandBelinda View Post
    I have the stock Kenda's still on front on 2014 RTL , and I have 30,000 on bike, so the fronts have 30,000 miles, and I run them at 19psi. The rear is a Kuhmo, and it has a little over 20,000 with somewhat good tread left, and I run the rear at 28 psi.

I may as well chime in to add my 2 cents. I am really starting to believe no 2 Riders will get the same results. It all depends on one or two up, Freeways or Country Roads, and I recently read some one post in a Harley Forum that tires wear out faster when riding on the Blue Ridge Parkway, because the Federal Parks Sytem uses embedded glass particles mxed with the asphalt as a deterent! I don’t know if this is true, but I do know that I only got 12,300 miles out of the Khumo I just took off the rear of my 2016 RT Limited. I had 3 on my 2012 RT 998, and I got in the low to high 14,000s on them. The Khumo I just removed from my 2016 was bald all the way accross, and I did a lot of experimenting with that tire, on pressures. I started at 28 psi, and kept going lower every time I read another Blue Knight post by Mike, and I settled at 21 psi when I finished. I replaced the Khumo with the General Altimax, and started at 26 psi, and reduced by 2 psi increments, and am now at 20 psi where I intend to stay,....in spite of Blue Knight’s recomended 18 psi. My fronts on my 2016 are OEM Kendras, and have 26,500 on them, but are worn on the insides in spite of my having the ROLO Laser alighment done out of the door when new. I might squeeze another 1000-2000 miles out of the tires, and I have a new set of car tires in the garage. I have been running 20 psi on the OEM Kendras. I will run 18 psi on the car tires. I even think tire wear varies when riding in hot or cold weather.
    So, IMO, it isn’t a Slam Dunk or the same for every rider.
    Last edited by 007james; 11-23-2018 at 11:59 AM.
    2016 RT Limited , Black & Lava Bronze

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 007james View Post
    I am really starting to believe no 2 Riders will get the same results. It all depends on one or two up, Freeways or Country Roads, and I recently read some one post in a Harley Forum that tires wear out faster when riding on the Blue Ridge Parkway, because the Federal Parks Sytem uses embedded glass particles mxed with the asphalt as a deterent!

I don’t know if this is true, but I do know that I only got 12,300 miles out of the Khumo I just took off the rear of my 2016 RT Limited. I had 3 on my 2012 RT 998, and I got in the low to high 14,000s on them. The Khumo I just removed from my 2016 was bald all the way across, and I did a lot of experimenting with that tire, on pressures. I started at 28 psi, and kept going lower every time I read another Blue Knight post by Mike, and I settled at 21 psi when I finished. I replaced the Khumo with the General Altimax, and started at 26 psi, and reduced by 2 psi increments, and am now at 20 psi where I intend to stay,....in spite of Blue Knight’s recomended 18 psi.

My fronts on my 2016 are OEM Kendras, and have 26,500 on them, but are worn on the insides in spite of my having the ROLO Laser alighment done out of the door when new. I might squeeze another 1000-2000 miles out of the tires, and I have a new set of car tires in the garage. I have been running 20 psi on the OEM Kendras. I will run 18 psi on the car tires. I even think tire wear varies when riding in hot or cold weather. So, IMO, it isn’t a Slam Dunk or the same for every rider.
    I'm inclined to agree. I appreciate factual responses such as yours, but I think there is a lot of emotion involved in many of the 'recommendations' and endorsements for a particular brand or style or whatever and those are less than useful.

You shared your actual experience with those tires, rather than jumping to some extremely prejudicial conclusions. Thank you for that.
    Last edited by UtahPete; 11-23-2018 at 08:40 PM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    there are other ways to balance it you have no shop to help. Most will mount but do not line up the mounting marks or even know about them. I hear the balancing disks that Lamonster garage has work well. Then there are some balancing beads and liquids that I don't care for but others do. As to the air pressure....the kuhomo tire is much stiffer with the added plys so I would go lower than the OEM kenda. If you feel the back end bouncing especially in corners lower the pressure.
    True Story--if you have a cone supporting the wheel parallel to the floor--like a static balancer--you can balance the tire. Pro-track riders mostly use static balance & they exceed Spyder speeds.
    Darrell
    2015 F3's , two 12 volt power outlets Orange & Black