Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KX5062 View Post
    For me, I'd pass on Craters and much if not all of Southern Idaho. I've ridden through that area 3 different times on my way to more northern parts of Idaho and elsewhere, and I was underwhelmed to say the least. Arco is a nice place to not travel through (only place uglier was Trona, CA). They put the national nuclear weapons research facility in that area for a reason.

Now Northern Idaho, all different ballgame. Lolo Pass. Beartooth. Chief Joseph. Sawtooth Range. More and more. All good and all winners!
    , except SE Idaho is worth visiting.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Kiry View Post
    Amazing how booked up hotels get in many of the areas.

My wfe always does the hotel bookings for our trips very early. Nov, Dec for the following August.
    2008 GS SM5, Full Moon Silver
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc

Spyder Garage

You'll need deep pockets to stay in Jackson.
    2008 GS SM5, Full Moon Silver
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by oldgoat View Post
    We avoid it for that reason, plus it's become too touristy for our taste. Pretty much any place that is a 'must go', we don't.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KX5062 View Post
    Arco is a nice place to not travel through (only place uglier was Trona, CA). They put the national nuclear weapons research facility in that area for a reason.
    Actually it's the nuclear power research facility. The Nautilus sailed across the Atlantic Ocean in the Idaho desert during nuclear sub development! Nuclear weapons research is at Los Alamos, NM. And yes, the fact it is so much desert and the Government already owned the ground is why they established the atomic power research site there. Did you catch the historical fact that Arco is the first city in the world to be lit by nuclear power? The Experimental Breeder Reactor 1 site between Idaho Falls and Arco is a National Historic Landmark. Great place to visit if you like science history.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

I will need to disagree with some on here warning you to stay away from the "Tourist" places as for being to expensive and to packed or busy. We rode through Jackson Hole and Yellowstone both going to and coming back from the Three Wheel Rally in Dead Wood this summer and that could be labeled as the height of the Tourist Season and we had no problems finding affordable lodging and when we were going to hit the "Packed" places we just got our asses out of bed early and made it thru the Parks unencumbered. It just takes planing and Commitment. Jackson Hole is a must see and I have been there both summer and winter, I prefer the summer but the winter Elk herds are amazing. We camp and or stay in Hotels so it gives us the option of saving money to lengthen our trip when we can.
    Jackson Hole.jpg
    2014 RTL , Black Currant

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by easysuper View Post
    I will need to disagree with some on here warning you to stay away from the "Tourist" places as for being to expensive and to packed or busy. We rode through Jackson Hole and Yellowstone both going to and coming back from the Three Wheel Rally in Dead Wood this summer and that could be labeled as the height of the Tourist Season and we had no problems finding affordable lodging and when we were going to hit the "Packed" places we just got our asses out of bed early and made it thru the Parks unencumbered. It just takes planing and Commitment. Jackson Hole is a must see and I have been there both summer and winter, I prefer the summer but the winter Elk herds are amazing. We camp and or stay in Hotels so it gives us the option of saving money to lengthen our trip when we can.
    Jackson Hole.jpg
    Jackson the City is not the same as Jackson Hole. I love that area.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by oldgoat View Post
    When in that area we prefer to stay in Alpine. It's just a little bit down the road but a lot less expensive. Great little town with great scenery. A bit more laid back and not as yuppified as Jackson. Last time there, we stayed at the Flying Saddle and Steak House Resort. I think it was around $120 per night. I would like to have stayed 2-3 nights. Beautiful place.
    Last edited by canamjhb; 10-31-2018 at 06:26 PM. Reason: Add Info.
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    When in that area we prefer to stay in Alpine. It's just a little bit down the road but a lot less expensive. Great little town with great scenery. A bit more laid back and not as yuppified as Jackson.
    Last edited by UtahPete; 10-31-2018 at 06:18 PM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    Been through Yellowstone several times the last of which was a year ago in July. It was so crowded we only got off the bikes at the lodge for Old Faithful. Very slow going with traffic and road construction. No place to park at any of the other major attractions. Stop and go traffic almost everywhere. Wife and I both agreed that we will no longer contribute to the Yellowstone congestion in future years.....
    The key is to go early or go later -- in the middle of the summer, you're right. Insanely busy. We worked there for the season in 2015, and I highly recommend it to anyone who's looking to take a "gap year." What a great experience to have 5 months in such a beautiful place. But you're right about the crowds -- during the summer, you gotta hit the trails, not the road, in the park. We would get out early if we had a hike planned in the park, or head down to Teton, Jackson, Cody, or Bozeman.

We're going back for a visit during the Christmas season this year to see the changes winter brings to the park. I've been told by all of my former co-workers who worked a winter season there that it's a totally different experience. Definitely going to be colder!
    Regards,

Bret

2017 RT-S Orbital Blue
    BajaRon Anti-Sway Bar
    SpyderPops LED Bumpskid, Spyclops II LED, Full View Turn Signals & Belt Guard
    Sena 20S Bluetooth Headsets
    Brake Free Helmet Light
    FOBO Bike for Trike
    Rugged Geek RG1000 Safety Plus Jump Starter/Air Compressor
    Lamonster RAM mount/Techmount TechGripper
    Drink2Go Cup Holders
    UltraGard Half Cover
    2017 RT-S , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=Kiry;1400104]Working a trip for next year, honey and I going on our week ish long trip. We've planned as far as Jackson, WY...from there we have a few days to get to Lolo pass then head towards home.

There's that 2 ish day gap where not really sure best route to take towards Missoula/Lolo.

Any suggestions? There seems like a lot of different places.

If you have not done the Blackhills of SD rides yet, I would certainly try to work those in. the riding in that area is awesome!!!!!! Like Iron Mountain Road, Needles Highway and Spearfish Canyon just to mention a few.
    BIG F