Spyder Garage

Default Which is best for storage this winter?

...I can get 87 100% gas or 93 with Ethanol

Better to add 100% gas for Winter Storage.....

or

93 with Ethanol and then which stabilizer???

Anyone knows what works????

I have a 2015 1330 machine..

Comments Please!!!

Spyder Garage

Default I bet you won't see a difference

This question is a topic for endless debate. I bet you won't see a difference. Since engine is designed to work on pump gas with 10% ethanol I simply add a stabilizer for winter storage to prevent separation.

When fueling with 100% gasoline you gotta ask yourself - how long has that fuel been in storage underground? With 100% gasoline becoming so rare, nobody uses those stations, resulting in stale, oxidized gas.

Before the winter I try to fuel up at Top-Tier stations that are popular (Google "top tier gas"), therefore guaranteeing fresh fuel.

I use Star Tron Enzyme Fuel Treatment - look it up on Amazon. Bike starts right up every time, even after winter storage

Screen Shot 2018-10-29 at 2.39.25 PM.jpg
    Last edited by Don'tPanic; 10-29-2018 at 01:57 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default What He Said...

Either way you should be fine. I've done it both ways with success. Only related problems I've had were on the smaller engines like lawnmowers and leaf blowers that tend to get gummed up over winter months.

LORD GRANT ME THE SENILITY TO FORGET THE PEOPLE I NEVER LIKED,
    THE GOOD FORTUNE TO RUN INTO THE ONES I DO LIKE,
    AND THE EYE SIGHT TO TELL THE DIFFERENCE.

2016 Spyder RTS

Spyder Garage

My experience is REAL gas lasts much longer than the ethanol added stuff. We can buy it here in SD in either reg or premium. For storage i just use the reg, I use non-ethanol gas in all of my small engines.
    Bob S

Spyder Garage

Part of the equation depends on where you live. We have a large lake near us so pure gas is available at the local QuikTrip. Fill, treat, then store.
    "If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." Catherine Aird

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Pure gas plus a stabilizer. Either gas will work but the stabilizer is the key.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

I have to disagree as to the frequency of use of the non oxygenated fuel.There are many atvs etc around here plus a great many who com thru on the trails and for the most part they use the pure fuel. Our tanks get turned over fairly regularly. I would thing it would depend on the area you are in as to the frequency of use.

As for myself if I am storing I use pure fuel with Star tron mixed in and never have a problem with start up or run come spring.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Default Pump gas?

Quote Originally Posted by Don'tPanic View Post
    This question is a topic for endless debate. I bet you won't see a difference. Since engine is designed to work on pump gas with 10% ethanol I simply add a stabilizer for winter storage to prevent separation.

When fueling with 100% gasoline you gotta ask yourself - how long has that fuel been in storage underground? With 100% gasoline becoming so rare, nobody uses those stations, resulting in stale, oxidized gas.

Before the winter I try to fuel up at Top-Tier stations that are popular (Google "top tier gas"), therefore guaranteeing fresh fuel.

I use Star Tron Enzyme Fuel Treatment - look it up on Amazon. Bike starts right up every time, even after winter storage

Is pump gas 87 octane? My brother runs 87 in his 2014 RT and has no problems. My 2018 F3L owners manual like the one you posted says to use 93 octane. Does anyone use the expensive stuff?? Should I wait to switch when I am out of warranty ?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Don'tPanic View Post

+1 for the Star Tron treatment. I have used this product for over 10 years
    in my 2 wheeled BMW's and now the spider, with great success.
    Gary
    2017 RTL Asphalt Gray Metalic
    1987 BMW K75s

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Put whatever you like to run in the bike in it, and then add a fuel stabilizer...
    Ethanol isn't nearly the problem that folks would like you to believe...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Genradman View Post
    ..........Better to add 100% gas for Winter Storage.....or.....93 with Ethanol and then which stabilizer???.........Comments Please!!!

In all my small engine stuff including my motorcycles I use the 10% ethanol. When it comes to winter storage I do treat with seafoam. You should be fine with either fuel you choose and whichever fuel treatment you decide on. Just make sure you add it before you fill the tank and drive it home (or let it run enough) to get the treated gas throughout your fuel system.
    ----
    Joe

2023 F3

Spyder Garage

I always use 100% gas in my seasonal engines of all sorts. We have one station in town, and we're on the river, atv trails, and snowmobile trails...so I feel pretty good about always getting fresh 100% gas from the pumps there. I do treat with the blue marine type Stabil as well. Been doing this routine for many years and have never had an issue. If you're not confident about the gas you're buying, then save a couple bucks on the lesser octane and treat it well.
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpdrDvr View Post
    Is pump gas 87 octane? My brother runs 87 in his 2014 RT and has no problems. My 2018 F3L owners manual like the one you posted says to use 93 octane. Does anyone use the expensive stuff?? Should I wait to switch when I am out of warranty ?
    I always use minimum 91 or 94. I put on roughly 6 to 8,000 miles per year. The difference in cost per year is less than $100.00 per year, and after spending 30,000 dollars for the machine, it’s cheap maintnance. jmho wtfdik
    Bruce

2014 RTS-SE6
    Tri-Axis Handlebars
    Sena BT Dongle
    Sirius Radio
    Dash bar
    Show Chrome Trunk Rack

"You know that a politician is lying if his lips are moving"

Spyder Garage

My manual for 18RT also says 91(no ethanol) or 93 with.Also use stabil.

Spyder Garage

Default Ethanol free

I use ethanol free in all my small engines, bikes, snowmobiles, and my 1972 Olds with no other additive for winter and summer storage. My friend does the same, never any problems associated with gas. We have used this method for a number of years now.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I always ran 93 octane guel, with 10% ethanol. The bikes got stored with the same fuel in them, and I never had a bit of trouble.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Live in Florida. Don't have to do any of that. Lol
    2014 RTS , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I always ran 93 octane guel, with 10% ethanol. The bikes got stored with the same fuel in them, and I never had a bit of trouble.
    this is the same thing I do. I have never used any stabilizer in mine. I just top it off and store it with the battery tender hooked up. And if it gets warm enough during the winter I'll get it out and take it up the road to stir the gas up in the tank. Of course being in the south it does tend to have warmer days in the winter. So we get out the thermals and take a road trip. I may ride !ong enough to burn about half a tank then fill it back up again.

Spyder Garage

....or ride all year 'round then it never needs months of storage . I do this in Baltimore except for the days when snow's on the ground
    2011 Spyder RT-S
    LtCol, USAF Ret
    Proud Patriot Guard Rider
    2011 RT , Yes Blue