Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Regular or premium, that is the question???

The owner's manual on page 37 recommends regular unladed gasoline, octane rating 87. But then goes on to say, for optimal performance, use premium unleaded gasoline octane 91.

What is "optimal performance" and is it worth 30% more in fuel cost?

Inquiring minds need to know.

Not that it makes a difference, but I have a 900 Rally edition

Spyder Garage

30% wow! That’s a bunch of money.....wait a second. Your Ryker holds 5 gallons. 91 is usually $0.20 more per gallon than 87. So thats a whole whopping $1.00 per fill up more. So if you fill up everyday with 91 that’s $365 per year. If you can’t afford that then you shouldn’t of bought the bike. Run 91.
    2015 F3S-T , Black Black & Black

Spyder Garage

At least around here it is 60 to 70 cents per gal. more for premium than regular. And that comes to roughly $3 per tank which is the equivalent to a medium cherry dipped cone at Dairy Queen which I tried to do about every tank.

Spyder Garage

Premium differential in central Indiana
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RykerUSA View Post
    The owner's manual on page 37 recommends regular unladed gasoline, octane rating 87. But then goes on to say, for optimal performance, use premium unleaded gasoline octane 91.

One of the eternal questions with answers across the board. Right up there with oil and tires.

You can run regular in all Spyders. This is because the ECU will compensate for the low octane by retarding your ignition timing. This reduces power and fuel mileage. The ECU is more likely to kick in during warmer temperatures or higher speeds where more cylinder temperature is created. This is the whole point. The computer attempts to keep cylinder temperatures within a certain heat range. This is a seamless process and you will not notice anything, seat of the pants. This is also why it is so important to apply thermal paste (not anti-seize) to your spark plug threads.

What is 'Optimal' for some is lower fuel costs regardless of the consequences. For others, 'Optimal' is getting the best performance and mileage possible. Many will say they notice no difference in either parameters with either fuel. But I did a mileage test from East Tennessee to California and back. Over 6,000 miles total. I was very careful in my data collection and fueling. I found that I consistently got between 2&4 mpg better with premium than with regular. That is at least a 10% improvement in mileage. At $3.00 a gallon that is a $0.30 per gallon savings.

I found that Mid grade made no significant difference over regular fuel. Granted, this was all done in warm to hot weather conditions. And I threw out the high altitude runs where low octane is all you can get because it didn't really apply. But I feel it was about as scientific as possible, with a great number of fill-ups, etc.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 04-13-2019 at 09:20 AM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

BahaRon,

That's the answer I was looking for. You know your stuff. Thanks!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Only YOU can decide for YOU.

With the lower octane fuel, if pushed hard at maximum timing advance and there is a little ping, the timing will be reduced along with peak performance.

It is also theoretically possible to have "pre-detonation" (compression knock) occur with the lower octane and the ECU can NOT compensate for that. Who knows if that will ever happen; I think not too likely but if it DOES engine damage can occur.

I use premium.......because the extra dollar per tankful won't break my budget.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

At least around here it is 60 to 70 cents per gal. more for premium than regular..
    Your "premium" must be ethanol free or REALLY high octane.
    I quite assure you that in most places the difference isn't NEAR that much.
    +.20 for mid-grade and + another .20 for premium is very common.

Spyder Garage

Default Well....

Guess it really boils down to you can use either one or from 87 on up. Was a time when they said Hi-test only. I find that a buck or a buck fifty per tank ful is a small price to pay for a fuel with better additives added though you then have to choose what brand. But I have never measured the difference in mpg as I rather ryde than spend time calculating ....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Not using premium in my F3L. I use 89 octane whole gas. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Spyder Garage

I know in bikes like my 2015 Victory Cross Country with 9.4:1 compression (owners manual recommends high octane) they will have a carbon buildup problem when running high octane gas because of the slow burn gas, that's not a problem with Spyders?

So my 2012 RT has knock sensors and if I run high octane it will run differently? My 2012 Spyder has a compression ratio of 12.2:1, my 2015 Suzuki V-Strom has a compression ratio of 11.2:1 and they recommend low octane. I suppose the weight they are pulling also factor in.

Price per gallon isn't a factor what best for the motor is.
    2012 RT A&C SE5
    2015 Victory Cross Country (Dyno tuned 118hp 116tq)
    2006 Triumph Rocket Dyno tuned 140hp 154tq)

Spyder Garage

Throw into the mix in the north the winter and summer blends... and the different mpg that results from them. Bring back the good ol days of regular and premium gasoline (and not ethanol blends). I'll be travelling in Canada in June and put in higher octane where it is available out in the boonies.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I am a sinner …….. I have a 14 RT … except for " testing the performance ", I have 42,000 + happy miles using regular 87 Oct. mostly with Ethyl because that's what is available …. we've been told there is a performance penalty …. if so I don't notice it ….. When I get my ECU done I will see if 89 works ……my buddy who is a master mechanic and campaigned a Drag bike with His brother tested the Knock system and said this " If He was towing a max loaded trailer with a very FAT chick in the Smokies ( not likely ) He would use 89 Oct., but otherwise NO ", He added Not DOWN SHIFTING when needed is a bigger issue ….. good luck …. Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The one thing I know for sure is the only thing your Spyder/Ryker won’t run on is NO gas. I run mine on mid grade if the price of premium is significantly higher than regular and I don’t notice any reduction in mpg or performance.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by vindex1963 View Post
    they will have a carbon buildup problem when running high octane gas because of the slow burn gas, that's not a problem with Spyders?
    No. Not a problem with ANY modern engine.
    Sounds like another Internet myth to me.

What exactly makes you think that is true........other than "some guy said" ??

Some other guy said that higher octane burns hotter......so there will be less carbon buildup.

Spyder Garage

For years, (since 2008) I always burned the highest octane in my five spyders. Here (Alaska), there is no ethanol. The three grades are 10 cents apart. 2.90, 3,00, 3.10. etc. Except for Shell which has 20 cent per grade increments.

A couple years back, I decided to go to basic 87 grade. I have never looked back. There has been no change in mileage, or performance that I notice. I am feeling that I spent a lot of money on the octane upgrade and did not need to.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 04-13-2019 at 01:53 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    No. Not a problem with ANY modern engine.
    Sounds like another Internet myth to me.

What exactly makes you think that is true........other than "some guy said" ??

Some other guy said that higher octane burns hotter......so there will be less carbon buildup.
    Kevin Cross a well credited Victory builder has commented on the carbon buildup inside the combustion chamber on Victory's what have ran high octane. He said it becomes so severe that an engine that would normally run it's entire life on 87 now requires 91 because of the carbon.

"The 92" recommended was 89, and they run quite happily on 87. All using premium does is build up carbon, and create issue down the road. It's not about money. It's about keeping a great running engine...running great.
    For all you old guys that think premium means better. Think about the last time you saw an ad extolling the benefits of it. The FTC made the fuel companies remove all the false and misleading ads in the early 90's, but the residual memory still surfaces. If you do not NEED it. Then it is BAD for your engine "

Where in my statement did you read "some guy said"? Nice try.
    2012 RT A&C SE5

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Where in my statement did you read "some guy said"? Nice try.
    It was an assumption.......that seems to be pretty much true......since your reference is only one person.
    Versus what the manufacturer says, both with the Victory and the Spyder.
    What is a "Victory builder" ??

Spyder Garage

It was an assumption.......that seems to be pretty much true......since your reference is only one person.
    Kevin, Rylan and Lloyd are the tops on fixing, rebuilding and hot rodding Victory motorcycles. Victory builder is someone that does the builds or completes the projects.
    2012 RT A&C SE5

Spyder Garage

Your "premium" must be ethanol free or REALLY high octane.
    I quite assure you that in most places the difference isn't NEAR that much.
    +.20 for mid-grade and + another .20 for premium is very common.
    Using 'new math', I believe "your" difference between Regular and Premium would be .40 or $2.00 per tank. I personally believe running premium in a vehicle 'designed' to run on regular (says so in the manual....) is a waste of money. But as they say, YMMV (so true.) I've run regular in my 'high performance' Yamaha FJR1300 for 91,000 miles and consistently get anywhere from 40 to 50+ mpg. Good enough for me.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

" what the manufacturer says " ie. BRP can be deceiving ...remember BRP says - if you have a code or any issue - IMMEDIATELY bring it to the nearest Dealer ( preferably by tow truck ) …...…… I have NEVER done that …….. Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Kevin, Rylan and Lloyd are the tops on fixing, rebuilding and hot rodding Victory motorcycles. Victory builder is someone that does the builds or completes the projects.
    Carbon accumulation inside a combustion chamber......or exhaust ports......is most often due to the tiny bit of oil that leaks past the rings.
    It is almost NEVER due to incomplete fuel burn, unless the engine has been messed with to make the mixture richer than designed.

Spyder Garage

I had a Polaris Slingshot for a year. It too called for PREMIUM. Premium is WAY overpriced, IMHO. It used to be 20 cents/gallon over regular, with mid grade 10 cents higher.

Anywho, I used premium until it was broken in. Then I tried a full tankful of mid grade. Ran fine w/o knocking or pinging under hard acceleration (something I don't normally do anyways). Then I tried a full tankful of regular. It still ran fine w/o knocking or pinging under hard acceleration.

My MPG did not drop going to regular either.

Spyder Garage

Yesterday, I ran a tank of ethanol free premium and found that I did get slightly improved mileage per gallon ( 2 miles per gal.); But in no way enough added miles to justify the cost of premium.

I will probly use premium in the heat of summer for long interstate travel - but otherwise it is regular for me.

Spyder Garage

Yesterday, I ran a tank of ethanol free premium and found that I did get slightly improved mileage per gallon ( 2 miles per gal.); But in no way enough added miles to justify the cost of premium.

I will probly use premium in the heat of summer for long interstate travel - but otherwise it is regular for me.
    Yes, it is true that ethanol has fewer BTUs per gallon than gasoline (hence lower MPG), no matter what grade it is. Just like biodiesel has less BTUs than regular diesel.