Thread: OPINIONS PLEASE

Spyder Garage

Default OPINIONS PLEASE

Next Spring will be the time for the first service on my 2017 RTS SE6, which I will have the dealer do & document. After that, I will do my own oil changes. I want to put in aftermarket drain plugs for the engine & transmission oil. My question is, for those that have tried them, what is your preference? Dimple Plugs or Gold Plugs? I am looking for the pros and cons of each. I like the fact that both are hex head, less chance of stripping than with OEM drain plugs. Any insights will be greatly appreciated, & thanks in advance.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

Default DIMPLE VS GOLD

I have the Gold plugs and really like them. It is my understanding that the Dimple plugs have thinner walls at the O rings than the Gold plugs and have been known to snap off. But many riders use Dimple plugs and have had no problems. It is suggested not to over tighten the plugs when you install them.
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Brake/Run/Turn Signal LED's
    Lamonster Garage LED Fog Lights and Headlights
    2013 ST-S retired 1/9/16 at 25,061 miles
    2015 F3S sold at 77,565 miles.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Spyder Garage

I have Dimple Plugs.
    I'm not sure there is a significant difference between the Gold Plugs and Dimple Plugs.
    Do you know Bob Gargano is starting up a new shop ?
    Maybe he can do your oil change. I'll have him do mine.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

I have five oil changes on my Dimple oil plugs, four DIY and one by dealer, 28K service, with no problems whatsoever. I do use a torque wrench to tighten the plugs to spec and I always change the metal plug washers, aluminum on crankcase and copper on clutch cover, a.k.a. transmission.

FWIW, four of those oil changes were at less than 9,300 K as I was trying various oils, mostly Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40 at increasing mileages, to see which one had the lowest viscosity shear down. My last oil change at 46K was exactly at 9,300 miles on Amsoil Metric 10W-40 fully synthetic oil. The 9.3K miles included trips to Spyders on the Bayou and D3WR. The oil analysis is below. Checking the viscosity using the chart at this link, https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/viscosity-charts/ you can see the cSt 100C reading of 13.8 has the SAE viscosity still within the 40 weight range, exactly what I'm looking for in an oil.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

On my F3 I use the stock 6mm and 45 Star plugs and they work great if you do it right? I see No advantage to the aftermarket plugs because I used them in my RT and it really made No difference?

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

Default Opinion....I can do...

I have the Dimple and have had no issue except the strenght of the magnet makes it jump out of my hand. That is one of the reasons I got the Dimple and the magnet does not stick into the engine as much as the others...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeWheels View Post
    I have Dimple Plugs.
    I'm not sure there is a significant difference between the Gold Plugs and Dimple Plugs.
    Do you know Bob Gargano is starting up a new shop ?
    Maybe he can do your oil change. I'll have him do mine.
    Steve, I didn't know that. What's the skinny? Where & when?
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I use the Dimple plugs as well. I do not tighten them to the specified torque. Just snug them up. The magnets are very strong.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by oldguyinCT View Post
    Next Spring will be the time for the first service on my 2017 RTS SE6, which I will have the dealer do & document. After that, I will do my own oil changes. I want to put in aftermarket drain plugs for the engine & transmission oil. My question is, for those that have tried them, what is your preference? Dimple Plugs or Gold Plugs? I am looking for the pros and cons of each. I like the fact that both are hex head, less chance of stripping than with OEM drain plugs. Any insights will be greatly appreciated, & thanks in advance.
    i put the dimple plugs in and the one for clutch cover snapped off on the 1st use , I think it could have been defective but i`m not the only one it happened to. that oil change cost me $800.00 PLUS I went back to the stock ones they work fine if you make sure your torx is seated all the way in. so if you change out i would go with the GOLD PLUGS JMHO.
    Leon
    Last edited by spyderryder53; 10-28-2018 at 02:23 AM.
    2022 marsala red RTL
    AND

2014 RT S SE-6 COGNAC, 2010 RT 622 TRAILER TIMELESS BLACK
    BRP trailer hitch, Utopia back rest, Baja Ron sway bar , heim links. Elka stage 2 shocks front and rear.
    TricLed fender lights, saddlebag lights and mirror lights. LED headlights and fog lights, Wide vu mirrors.
    spyderpops LED bumpskid ,zippered cargo bag linings, Laser Alignment by Netzleys Tire, Stebal air horn
    stant gas cap,( Dimple oil plugs REMOVED ) JT dash mount.
    (Onboard) Lamonster Garage air compressor and intelliboost charger.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by oldguyinCT View Post
    Steve, I didn't know that. What's the skinny? Where & when?

Bob.jpg
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JKMSPYDER View Post
    I have the Gold plugs and really like them. It is my understanding that the Dimple plugs have thinner walls at the O rings than the Gold plugs and have been known to snap off. But many riders use Dimple plugs and have had no problems. It is suggested not to over tighten the plugs when you install them.

This is absolutely not true. I have in hand, oem stock drain plugs, Dimple brand drain plugs, and Gold Plugs brand drain plugs.

Months ago I accomplished a dimensional check comparing each and posted it on Finless Bobs FB group.

In regards to the magnet diameters, on the long drain plug, the Gold Plug has the largest diameter magnet and with that the least amount or thinest cross section of material in the thread area. OEM has no magnet on the long drain plug.

In regards to the short drain plug. OEM has the smallest and least powerful magnet, but does offer the greatest cross section of material in the thread area. The Dimple brand has the largest magnet, and the least amount of cross section, while the Gold Plug has a medium size magnet, and less cross section than oem, but more than Dimple.

I had planned to have all the drain plugs X Ray imaged so I could see the depth of the magnets. Unfortunately, my path has not crossed yet with the person I need with the equipment to do this.

I was also loaned, from a local rider, a failed short oem drain plug.

To the original post, what is best...In my opinion, use the oem long drain plug since they are not compromised in strength. Regarding the short drain plug, it seems the Gold Plug offers the better balance between increased magnet strength and remaining material.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyderryder53 View Post
    i put the dimple plugs in and the one for clutch cover snapped off on the 1st use , I think it could have been defective but i`m not the only one it happened to. that oil change cost me $800.00 PLUS I went back to the stock ones they work fine if you make sure your torx is seated all the way in. so if you change out i would go with the GOLD PLUGS JMHO.
    Leon
    If it matters, I borrowed a local riders failed oem short drain plug that failed. Like your experience it snapped in the case. He, however was fortunate to carefully remove the broken section. I can post photos if you care to know where to inspect yours for cracks during oil changes.

Spyder Garage

PMK's description of the physical properties of all the plugs is very informative. Magnet size, strength and plug wall thickness are only part of the properties of a plug. What we do not know is the detailed metallurgical properties of a failed plugs of various types. Did the failed plugs, for example, come from a batch that was not properly heat treated, strengthened, or whatever they do to them. We also do not know what kind of failure rate manufacturers specify in manufacturing quality control inspections. There's almost certainly more than meets the eye. JMO.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post

....To the original post, what is best...In my opinion, use the oem long drain plug since they are not compromised in strength. Regarding the short drain plug, it seems the Gold Plug offers the better balance between increased magnet strength and remaining material.

Big Bike Parts has both the long and short drain plugs now. Offering a 3rd alternative to OEM.

http://www.bigbikeparts.com/template...&GroupGuid=912
    Marilyn 2015 RTS SE6 Red
    John 2015 F3S SE6 Silver

previous:
    2011 RT SM5 Silver
    2013 STS SM5 Silver

"common sense will prevail....but we see no sign of that"

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by nhoj View Post
    Big Bike Parts has both the long and short drain plugs now. Offering a 3rd alternative to OEM.

http://www.bigbikeparts.com/template...&GroupGuid=912
    Was not aware of that drain plug. However at $10.95 and seeing the black, what looks like ceramic magnet almost makes me wonder if it is Chinese made.

I learned a long time ago, magetic strength diminishes with heat increases. Most ceramic magnets get very weak even at low heat. Rare earth magnets cost a lot more, and while the do decrease in magnetic strength as heat is applied, they are far superior to ceramic magnets.

Anyone that has installed one of these Big Bike Parts drain plugs should share their thoughts.

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

Which ever plug you get------get out the Dremel tool out of hiding and open up the plastic around the drain plugs. You'll be happy you did this.

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow