Spyder Garage

Default Freedom trailer spare tire

I recently purchased a Freedom trailer and have been in search of a spare tire and wheel and possibly some chrome wheels. I haven't had much luck online. Does anyone have any suggestions?
    Thanks, Mike

Spyder Garage

Default Freedom Trailer Follow-up

I'm starting my research on trailers.
    I see you purchased a Freedom vs. 622 (older version).
    How do you like it and where did you end up purchasing your trailer?
    My local Spyder Dealer is always looking for top dollar retail

Spyder Garage

Default Spare tire decision

When I first got my 622 trailer I was planning to also have a spare. After a few trips and realizing I didn’t want to sacrifice the space I found the tire is a stock item at Walmart. My plan in case of flat would be to unhook trailer and secure it while I run to the nearest Walmart for replacement. I do also carry a plug kit just in case I cou
    d temporarily patch.
    2022 RT Limited Dark Hyper Silver
    2014 RT-S Pearl White
    2010 BRP 622 Trailer Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You dont need a chrome wheel for a spare. You should be able to get a spare trailer wheel that is a 4 hole- 4.80x12

But if your mind is set on a chrome wheel it will be expensive.

Spyder Garage

Default No spare here....

I've used our Freedom Trailer on several trips. When I purchased the trailer new, I put Ride On Tire Sealant and Balancer in the tires. I also have Ride On utilzed on our Spyder RTL . Our Freedom Trailer is great - no issues and enjoy the extra luggage capacity on long trips. I do carry a plug kit and small compressor for a major leak, but never needed to use it. Much smaller to carry than a full size spare.

No issues. I don't worry about a spare for the trailer .... just ride and enjoy!! :-)

Good point on earlier post not to utilize space inside the trailer for a spare that may never get used.

I think on my other vehicles (one with 122,000 miles, we have NEVER used a spare. I am sure a flat tire can happen, but we've been lucky over the years. However, I am a detailed person who always checks tire pressures before a trip and do the T-CLOCS as well (Tires, Controls, Lights, Oil, Chassis, Stands). I also check tire pressures after long trips especially when far from home.
    Last edited by Jim&Teresa; 10-27-2018 at 09:35 AM.
    Happy and safe rydin'
    2014 Spyder RT Limited - January 2014, Cognac/Black Seat, #958, born on 1-8-14
    2014 RT Limited , Cognac

Spyder Garage

We purchased our freedom trailer in apr this year, put over 5000 miles on it this year. Couldn't find a 622 anywhere near me, and got a good deal on the freedom, NOS. Really happy with the trailer.
    I have a tire patch kit with compressed air in case of a flat on the bike or trailer. Although lots of room, definitely don't want to sacrifice the room or weight for a tire.

Ray

2017 RT-S

Bump Skid - Spyderpops
    Wrap - Wrapmyspyder
    swaybar - Bajaron
    Sena 20D & SM10
    3 PC Mesh Zippered Lid Net Set - TricLED
    A arm LED's - Safety LED's - TricLED
    Mirror Sequential turn signals
    Glo-riders
    LED rear turn signals and reverse lights
    Front Grills
    Third Brake light
    Larson Scanner
    Light Up - Sue Hopper

Spyder Garage

Default Choices, choices

Can always check into chroming the rims at a local shop....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the input. I just picked the trailer up today. Although I was really interested in the RT-622 and actually found one that matched my bike 1,900 miles away and $1,200.00 more, I also found the Freedom, 100 miles from the house with maybe 500 miles on it for $2,000.00, I chose the Freedom. I too use Ride-On sealant with no flats, but thought if I could find some chrome wheels, I could put them on and keep the blacks for spares. Just hoping that someone had been through this before.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RidinOn3 View Post
    Thanks for the input. I just picked the trailer up today. Although I was really interested in the RT-622 and actually found one that matched my bike 1,900 miles away and $1,200.00 more, I also found the Freedom, 100 miles from the house with maybe 500 miles on it for $2,000.00, I chose the Freedom. I too use Ride-On sealant with no flats, but thought if I could find some chrome wheels, I could put them on and keep the blacks for spares. Just hoping that someone had been through this before.
    If you have the black rims, I suspect you could easily either trade for chrome or sell them since many RT622 trailer owners would like black wheels to match their RTS.

Spyder Garage

Default Definitely could sell the black rims

I actually ended up having my rims sandblasted and powder coated to match my charcoal wheels because I couldn’t find any black ones.

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    If you have the black rims, I suspect you could easily either trade for chrome or sell them since many RT622 trailer owners would like black wheels to match their RTS.
    2022 RT Limited Dark Hyper Silver
    2014 RT-S Pearl White
    2010 BRP 622 Trailer Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    That would also work. If anyone knows of someone, send them my way. Thanks!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jim&Teresa View Post
    I've used our Freedom Trailer on several trips. When I purchased the trailer new, I put Ride On Tire Sealant and Balancer in the tires.
    Which type of Ride On Sealant did you use? motorcycle or auto? Are the Freedom Trailer tires rounded or flat tread?

Thanks.
    Dave

Spyder Garage

I would consider my Freedom tires a rounded tread and due to the small size would probably run the motorcycle Ride-On.