Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    It's kind of funny...
    As much as I love GREAT food: I'm also about the leasr fussy eater in here!
    Best meal on a trip:
    Pottersville, NY
    The Black Bear
    It's a family-owned Bar & Grille that's been there forever. We always stop there on our way up to the hunting camp in Onchiota, NY
    Homemade soup, a bacon cheeseburger as big as a dinner plate, and some REALLY good fries!
    Furiously scribbling that one down on my list!

One of the best road meals I've had was with the East Coast Posse at Texas Roadhouse on our ride out to Spyderfest two years ago. The food may not have been exceptional but the company sure was!
    Last edited by Trbayth; 10-26-2018 at 09:23 AM.
    Trb-- (Roger)

2014 Cognac STL:Ultimate Seat, Nelson Rigg Tail Pack, Nelson Rigg RS/ST Half Cover, TL fender lights, Squared Away Laser Alignment, BajaRon sway bar and links, Akropovic Sport Silencer
    2022 White Pearl F3T
    Gone but not forgotten: 2019 F3S Special Series Liquid Titanium

Spyder States Visited

Spyder Garage

The best one I had was on our way back from BRP's homecoming last year. We had been on the road a long time that day when we finally arrived at our hotel in Liberty, NY. We normally do not go out on the Spyder after arriving at a hotel preferring to find something within walking distance of the hotel. Luckily there was an Italian restaurant across the parking lot. It was late and it looked closed, but we tried it and were greeted at the front door by the owner. I asked if they were open, and he said yes - please come in. We were the only customers there.
    Ended up being one of the best meals we have had anywhere! They make everything by hand. My wife had a salad and they made the dressing on a cart by our table and then mixed all the salad items in with the dressing. I had one of their pasta meals and it was great.

The restaurant is Piccolo Paese at 2071 State Route 52 Liberty, NY. (I asked for and kept one of their cards)
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

One of the best meals I've had recently on the road was on the way home from the 3 Wheeler Rally. I got away late and was tired so I stopped in Newcastle Wy for the night. I asked the lady who ran the motel where to eat as it was getting late. She says "OH you have to go to Isabella's,she'll be open and it's great">So I did and it was great. Great ride thru beautiful downtown Newcastle and a great restaurant. They serve Italian, make everything on site. It is wonderful. Great ending to a very full day. BTW if you haven't gone to the 3 Wheeler rally it was a lot of fun a good substitute for Kaitlin's Red Rock Rally in St George. I do hope that she decides to bring that one back soon.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Not on a bike trip but on a business trip overseas.

We landed late in the afternoon in Frankfurt and drove out to Mainz. By the time we arrived it was late evening, probably 8-9pm. We missed out on dinner so we found a place that was still open. The waiters were stacking chairs, preparing to close. Between halting German and English, we convinced them to stay open and throw together whatever they had left over for that day.

A short time later the chef brings out the most delicious steak and fixings. The chef even brought out a bottle of wine from the back and we all ate together, him and the waiters. It was a very unique experience that decades later I still remember.

Never pass up a chance to eat with locals.
    Last edited by asp125; 10-26-2018 at 03:52 PM.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

Default Shamrock, TX

What comes to mind for me was our trip this summer to Spyderfest in Springfield MO. We rode our Spyders from Tucson, AZ. The memorable dinner was two nights in the same place, which was a local steakhouse in Shamrock, TX. Day 2 in our trip to Spfld was the ride from Ruidoso, NM to Shamrock, TX. After Spyderfest our first day going home was Springfield, MO to Shamrock, TX. What was consistent with both days was being blown to **** all the way across Texas. The local steakhouse in Shamrock was pretty darn good, but the best part was we had survived to actually be there and spend the night. The bad news was we still had a 2nd day (both ways) of this god forsaken Texas wind.

Rob
    2015 RT-Ltd SE6 and F3S SE6, both with a number of commercial add-ons plus my own tweaks.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by robhowen View Post
    What comes to mind for me was our trip this summer to Spyderfest in Springfield MO. We rode our Spyders from Tucson, AZ. The memorable dinner was two nights in the same place, which was a local steakhouse in Shamrock, TX. Day 2 in our trip to Spfld was the ride from Ruidoso, NM to Shamrock, TX. After Spyderfest our first day going home was Springfield, MO to Shamrock, TX. What was consistent with both days was being blown to **** all the way across Texas. The local steakhouse in Shamrock was pretty darn good, but the best part was we had survived to actually be there and spend the night. The bad news was we still had a 2nd day (both ways) of this god forsaken Texas wind.

Rob
    that is a good steakhouse in shamrock, we have eaten there several times. I use to run out west in a semi for years and stop in there when we got the chance. I don't blame you , I don't care much for the wind either

Spyder Garage

Default Hey!!!!

THE MCRIB IS BACK!!!!!!!!!
    Grandpa Pete
    Peter & Kim Pontinen
    2020 RTL Dark Marsala

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Grandpa Pete View Post
    THE MCRIB IS BACK!!!!!!!!!
    Boy are you easily pleased
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Best meal ever.....Last July, wife and I on our annual road trip. Rode north and ferried to Roche Harbor, WA. on Orcas Island. This is where we spent most of our summers for over 40 years. We had lunch on the deck at the resort. Each had a Bloody Mary (which is almost a meal by itself). She had a Dungeness Crab-whole and I had fish and chips. Best fish and chips I have ever had and I even got a (small) bite of her crab. Because this is a special place for me, I told wife I would treat and I expected the lunch to be over $100. We usually don't splurge like this when on the road. Well, it was well in excess of my estimate but the memory and the great food made it the best ever with my mate.....
    Last edited by canamjhb; 10-26-2018 at 10:26 PM.
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Wonderful story and I know the islands well. My folks used to live in Bellingham.
    2015 RTL , Yes Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PistonBlown View Post
    Instant Coffee with some bars of chocolate, served on the tred of a Hagglund…

...here
    This one makes a good point about simple things in the wilderness. Did a lot of wilderness canoe camping in Northern MN--(in the summer though). Anything cooked and served around a campfire and outdoors seems like a feast. We would kick it up and even have brownies (thanks to the Bakepacker).

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Hard to limit this to two!

About 10 years ago (back in my 2 wheeler days), my husband and I were riding across Kansas and spent the night in Dodge City. We had been riding by cattle feedlots most of the day. We walked to the restaurant next door, a steakhouse that had locally sourced fresh beef, and discovered that there is quite a difference between fresh steaks and what is found in most restaurants.

The second is hard to choose, as I love finding local foods, but I think I'll pick the restaurant at the View Hotel in Monument Valley. I've been there on 4 different trips out west (3 by motorcycle and 1 by car). The food is Navaho and was good, but the view of the valley is what makes the hotel and restaurant so memorable.
    2017 F3-S
    2010 Honda Element

Harley map

Spyder map

Spyder Garage

Isla Margarita, off the coast of Venezuela. It was a deserted beach, except for one other couple, and a restaurant for locals nearby delivered the best sea food we ever had. I know it was the best because my gf said so. Whatever the price for the meal was, we doubled it for delivering. Sorry, I cheated. We didn't get there on any 2 or 3 wheeler. We got there in a 64 chevy (taxi) with rotted floor boards, a few years back (2007).

Very Active Member Desert Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

How about a bowl of potato,cheese, and bacon soup from The Cheesecake Factory? Yummo
    Happy Spyder Owner
    States visited on the Spyder.
    And if we live life without a passion, then we're not living.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by LeftCoast View Post
    Theres a story that goes with this one I’m sure!
    Those were taken just before Christmas 2013 when I was working down at Scott Base - that's Antarctica New Zealand's main base just over the hill from the US McMurdo base.

These where taken went we went for a 'Sunday Drive' to the Terra Nova hut at Cape Evans where Scott's party were based before their ill fated trip to the South Pole. We'd just crossed a crack in the sea ice that you can see behind the Hagglund marked with flags. That's Mount Erebus in the background which is an active volcano, hence the smoke from the top. That was where the Air NZ flight 901 crashed in Nov 1979 with the loss of all 257 people on board.

Some photo's from the hut:

And one for all the ex-USAF people out there, here's the 'Airport' down there:

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    It's kind of funny...
    As much as I love GREAT food: I'm also about the leasr fussy eater in here!
    Best meal on a trip:
    Pottersville, NY
    The Black Bear
    It's a family-owned Bar & Grille that's been there forever. We always stop there on our way up to the hunting camp in Onchiota, NY
    Homemade soup, a bacon cheeseburger as big as a dinner plate, and some REALLY good fries!
    Sounds yummy, but my body may have cardiac failure from eating it...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PistonBlown View Post
    Instant Coffee with some bars of chocolate, served on the tred of a Hagglund…

...here
    That is so cool in more ways than one.

Spyder Garage

Default My best meal/meals.....

Quote Originally Posted by LeftCoast View Post
    At least I think so anyway, and no it’s not inspired by the fact the McRib is back for a limited time only!

So here goes, What’s the best meal(s) you’ve had on a trip? This isn’t just about the food it’s about the experience as well because you are sharing the meal with whoever or wherever that made it special.

For me it was shortly after I got my license 4 years ago and other than the safety class had less than an hour on a motorcycle. None of it on the road. I rented a 2008 Spyder in Tempe meeting my brother who rode his Honda CBR up from NM. After an hour on the bike and once out on the open road the fear started to leave and the fun started and I was hooked.

After about a 4 hour ride with scenic stops and a small town diner stop that included fresh pies in round glass displays on the restaurant counter (boy did that take me back to some family cross country trips and my dad getting pecan pie a la mode as a favorite ritual) we got to Sedona. This was also after getting a bit disoriented on our route near Pine Az and being helped out with directions from a local realtor because we reminded her of her kids despite both my brother and I being on our 50s at the time. You meet the greatest people unexpectedly sometimes.

We stayed at a place up on a hill next to the airport in Sedona for the night that had a restaurant at the airport, not cheap but the food was great and my brother and I enjoy a nice scotch. Honestly I don’t even remember what I had at this point (that may be scotch related!) but being near the airport (as a no longer current private pilot), breaking bread with my brother whom I don’t get to see very often, plus it being my first motorcycle trip and having a great first day is just perfectly memorable to me. It didn’t hurt that there were fire pits outside to sit around after the meal with nice views and a nightcap.

No wonder you all love this so much. Makes me regret getting started so late but certainly better than never!

Anyone got anything they want to share?
    Mid July my older brother informs the family he has stage 4 Follicular Limphoma. He tells me he wants to ride to Sturgis one more time before he gets too sick. I told him I will ride with him and 10 days later bought a 2018 F3L. Two weeks after getting it and 620 miles on the clock I set out on a 5500 mile journey with my brother to Sturgis where our younger brother met us and bringing with him our older brothers son. By the time I got back there were meals not prepared so well but everyone will be remembered forever because I shared them with my brothers.
    Since then we've rode together to M/V and I hope for many more rides..... With him.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpdrDvr View Post
    Mid July my older brother informs the family he has stage 4 Follicular Limphoma. He tells me he wants to ride to Sturgis one more time before he gets too sick. I told him I will ride with him and 10 days later bought a 2018 F3L. Two weeks after getting it and 620 miles on the clock I set out on a 5500 mile journey with my brother to Sturgis where our younger brother met us and bringing with him our older brothers son. By the time I got back there were meals not prepared so well but everyone will be remembered forever because I shared them with my brothers.
    Since then we've rode together to M/V and I hope for many more rides..... With him.
    That is a great sto. Thank you for sharing .

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

I was a day early for the Spyder Rendezvous in Johnson Creek Wisconsin so after setting up my camper at the Jefferson County Fair Park, I asked the woman at the registration office where there were some good eating places. She said “Go to a truck stop called the Pine Cone Restaurant in Johnson Creek”. I have eaten at many trucks stops and they are normally good and a fair price. Heck it was only 7 miles away and close to Rob's Performance Motorsports shop so off I went for a early evening meal.

The parking lot was nearly full but I found a spot to park my Spyder. Right after I parked a young man rode up on a BMW and parked next to my bike. He was around 30 years old but to me that is a young man. He had to wait for his wife to show up, so we talked about our bikes. I have always thought if I went back to a 2 wheeler I would get a BMW so naturally I was interested in his machine as he was in mine as a Spyder is different than most bikes.

After his wife showed up they went in the restaurant and I followed shortly after. I saw that they had seated at a table at the far end where there were a few tables. The layout is similar to many old style truck stops. A zig-zag counter where the truckers sit at a counter to eat. I found a empty spot at the counter and sat next to a gentleman. I ordered a Chicken Breast Fillet. Well when it was delivered there was not an empty spot on the plate. Plenty of mashed potatoes with gravy, chicken and green beans. There was also a saucer with a very large roll on it. Must have been 5 inches in diameter and several inches high. The roll was fresh and warm, right out of the oven. The gentleman next to me was from a local town and was telling me about his stories/tales of the watermelon festivals that his town has had. He had me laughing about the watermelon spiting contests and eating contests. He said that the eating contestants had to eat a half melon by sticking their faces down into the melon to eat it. No utensils were allowed.

After I finished eating I asked the waitress for my bill. She said that the young couple at were at the table at the far end of the restaurant had paid for it. WOW.

Good recommendation
    Good conversation about bikes
    Good food
    Good laughs
    Very good price

Dean Secord AKA seaweed
    Veteran: U.S. Air Force
    2015 RT-S SE6

My Mods:
    TricLed Turn Signal, Squared Away Sept, 2016
    SpyderPops Bump Skid, SpyderPops Missing Rock Guard, ION camera
    Show Chrome Back Rest , Show Chrome Hitch
    Leesure-lite trailer, Harbor Freight tag along trailer (sold)
    Hopnel 850 Saddlebag Liners, Hopnel 3 piece lid netset - trunk and saddlebags
    Magic Brake Strobe/Flasher, DIY LED light strips on upper and lower A frames
    BlueKnight911 Magic Mirrors, DIY superior grill, USB port, Hwy pegs,
    DIY Flag mounts for USA and US Air Force flags, Method to open Frunk and seat without using key,
    LED headlights and LED fog lights, turn signal switch safety mod