Spyder Garage

Default Wintertime gloves

I live in the northeast and took a long ride yesterday to State College Pa. I need to invest in a good pair of cold/cool weather gloves that are also waterproof. I have been looking at the forum and see some discussion. I want to ride year round living on Northeast Pa. I am not really enthusiastic about plug-in or electric gloves. Seems like too much hassle.

Thanks,
    Jim

Spyder Garage

Most motorcycle gear shops have just what you are looking for. My heaviest are leather gauntlets with winter glove lining built in. Gauntlets are good because they keep the wind from blowing up your sleeve.

When its to cold for them, it is to cold to ride. I have done it down to 10 below zero in the "good old days." Now I am a 20 above kinda person.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Most motorcycle gear shops have just what you are looking for. My heaviest are leather gauntlets with winter glove lining built in. Gauntlets are good because they keep the wind from blowing up your sleeve.

When its to cold for them, it is to cold to ride. I have done it down to 10 below zero in the "good old days." Now I am a 20 above kinda person.
    i'm more of a 50 above kind of person

Spyder Garage

I have 6 different pairs of gloves, all by BRP for each type of riding condition.
    They are expensive, but I have found them on sale. The ones I wear every
    day in California, some they no longer manufacture. However there are two
    really great gloves here for winter or rain. https://can-am.brp.com/on-road/shop/...ar/gloves.html

Keep in mind the Canadian company knows about cold,
    they make ski-doos also
    fullsizeoutput_372.jpg

good luck, and let us know what you end up with

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

Snowmobile glives usually do a good job in keeping you warm, they may not be 100% waterproof in extremely wet situations. I have some Head gloves that I like and I also have Can-Am leather gloves that work well. But if it is really cold I wear my electric gloves.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

I am sorry that right now I can't recommend any good cold weather gloves, but this is what I have done.
    I took my Skidoo handle bar muffs off my snowmobile and installed them on my spyder.
    It keeps your hands out of the wind and rain, and you hands keep warm.

Spyder Garage

My recommendation is for Warm n Safes Ultimate Touring Heated Glove. I know you said you don't want to deal with heated gloves, but these are so good that I would buy them and use them without the heat. The leather is extremely supple. They fit my hands extremely well, too (that's something that the other 1/2 dozen winter gloves I've tried don't do). The fingers are pre-curved and there isn't any binding. These gloves feel like my summer gloves do, in terms of how they function. One winter I had to ride in a very cold, heavy rain that lasted for hours. The gloves kept my hands warm and dry, even though the gloves were soaked (I use the heat). https://www.warmnsafe.com/collection...-heated-gloves

To keep my gloves/hands dry, I use Aerostich Triple Digit Covers. They fit over your gloves, and will not let rain into them. http://www.aerostich.com/clothing/gl...it-covers.html

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN View Post
    i'm more of a 50 above kind of person
    That ain't no ! Just call me "Fairweather Flanker"!

2018 F3 S, BRP SS Grill, Spoiler, Attitude Bars, #1 linkage kit, Chopped R Fender, TBR S1R slip On exhaust, Elka Stage 2 R Shock, Shad saddlebags

Spyder Garage

Default Wintertime gloves

Quote Originally Posted by IgoFar2 View Post
    My recommendation is for Warm n Safes Ultimate Touring Heated Glove. I know you said you don't want to deal with heated gloves, but these are so good that I would buy them and use them without the heat. The leather is extremely supple. They fit my hands extremely well, too (that's something that the other 1/2 dozen winter gloves I've tried don't do). The fingers are pre-curved and there isn't any binding. These gloves feel like my summer gloves do, in terms of how they function. One winter I had to ride in a very cold, heavy rain that lasted for hours. The gloves kept my hands warm and dry, even though the gloves were soaked (I use the heat). https://www.warmnsafe.com/collection...-heated-gloves

To keep my gloves/hands dry, I use Aerostich Triple Digit Covers. They fit over your gloves, and will not let rain into them. http://www.aerostich.com/clothing/gl...it-covers.html
    I mirror your sentiments; I would however have you consider heated glove liners. I have had both the heated gloves and the heated liners, and by far the heated liners work much better at keeping your hands and fingertips warm. Road into work this AM @ 32 degrees and didn't have the gloves or facket turned up past half heat. By the way I DO NOT LIKE TO BE COLD.

The Aereostich triple digit covers work exceptionally well @ not only keeping your hands and gloves dry but they are great windblockers to add an extra layer of support to keep your hands warm when it gets cold. My opinion for what it's worth.

Al in Kazoo
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Some skidoo gloves have added insulation on top of hand,very nice.I have bought cheap gauntlet gloves at various bike events just to get the rain fly that is usually in the zipped pocket on top of cuff.Usually a mitten type but work great!I am going to check the aerostitch next.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IGETAROUND View Post
    I mirror your sentiments; I would however have you consider heated glove liners. I have had both the heated gloves and the heated liners, and by far the heated liners work much better at keeping your hands and fingertips warm. Road into work this AM @ 32 degrees and didn't have the gloves or facket turned up past half heat. By the way I DO NOT LIKE TO BE COLD.

The Aereostich triple digit covers work exceptionally well @ not only keeping your hands and gloves dry but they are great windblockers to add an extra layer of support to keep your hands warm when it gets cold. My opinion for what it's worth.

Al in Kazoo

I have the Warm and safe heated glove liners (and jacket, pants and socks) and they all work quite well. Can't say I used the socks much... but the other stuff is amazing.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

Same as you here in NEPA ,
    You do have the heated grips installed yes ?
    I find the secret to warm hands is a good electric vest along with a windproof base layer
    I use the Aerostitch
    http://www.aerostich.com/clothing/he...tric-vest.html
    along with their gloves
    http://www.aerostich.com/clothing/gl...in-ropers.html
    Also have their triple digit rain gloves as stated in others posts .
    This setup keeps my hands toasty .
    The vest is the secret to keep the blood flowing which in turn keeps the hands warm
    The deerskin gloves while not lined or anything allows the heat from the grips to transfer thru
    which keeps the hands warm .

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

CYCLEGEAR.COM

Quote Originally Posted by JimH View Post
    I live in the northeast and took a long ride yesterday to State College Pa. I need to invest in a good pair of cold/cool weather gloves that are also waterproof. I have been looking at the forum and see some discussion. I want to ride year round living on Northeast Pa. I am not really enthusiastic about plug-in or electric gloves. Seems like too much hassle.

Thanks,
    Jim