Spyder Garage

Default Another Harley recall

Clutch issue again.

Spyder Garage

?????
    2018 RTL , dark blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Nothing new there another reason why I left the Harley world. It's like they took 3 steps back on quality. Not only the clutch issues either. Ex. Compensators are crap too and now the oil getting in the the primaries on the M8 models. There are some things I do like but for now the Spyder is my ride for now. Still want to test a vanderhall and slingshot someday.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I see that theur Sales are down; yet profits are up...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

harley problems are why i went indian for a 2 wheeler.

Spyder Garage

I think the Indians are beautiful bikes. A guy at a place where I get coffee rides one in every now and then and I ogle it every time.
    2015 RTL , Yes Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

They're about as pretty as a smiling puppy!

Spyder Garage

I might check into Indian when I get to a place with dealers.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

i will say my scout runs as nice as it looks & no headaches since i got it in 2016.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN View Post
    i will say my scout runs as nice as it looks & no headaches since i got it in 2016.
    I like the full dresser Chiefs, but going to have to see how "top heavy" they are. Two wheelers with back trunks are now kind of off my list.

I need low seat height and preferable around 750# or less. My current Vulcan fits the bill nicely.

I do like to shop though.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It's all about the shopping; isn't it?

Here's one of their Baggers for you:

https://www.indianmotorcycle.com/en-us/chief-vintage/

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    It's all about the shopping; isn't it?

Here's one of their Baggers for you:

https://www.indianmotorcycle.com/en-us/chief-vintage/
    That is actually one that really says "buy me" to me. I like the leather bags--as a former leather dealer, how could I not??
    The 50's retro paint job is in one of my favorite combos. Turquoise and crème would be another.

I could see myself riding that one for sure.

Looking further into the ad...they even have the somewhat turquoise/crème I mentioned. Seeing them together--I guess I would opt for the green. And the price is "right on."

Thanks for giving me a case of the "drools" for the next six months or so.

And a PS: I am NOT planning on abandoning my two 's.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 10-24-2018 at 02:13 PM.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Harley is certainly having their issues. I think they rely too heavily on customer loyalty (which is huge) and not enough on product quality. At some point, if you don't take care of the 2nd thing, the 1st thing will go away and you are left with a lot of debt and a failed product.

I have never owned a Harley. Just not my kind of ride. But I would hate to see them fade away. Harley needs to get their act together before they don't have an act at all.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Year to date Harley has sold $125 million in general merchandise, $366 million in bike loans, $400 million in parts and accesories, and 2.3 billion in motorcycles.

They currently have a $1 billion cash reserve, they have generated $100 million more in cash than 2017.

I'm thinking any company manufacturing anything wishes they had Harley's problems...

Polaris makes the Indian, Polaris kicked it's Victory customers to the curb. Polaris makes the Slingshot and many off-road vehicles that suffer constant recalls.

My point, H/D is head and shoulders above anything being produced by Polaris at the moment as far as revenue and lack of recalls.
    2012 RT A&C SE5
    2015 Victory Cross Country (Dyno tuned 118hp 116tq)
    2006 Triumph Rocket Dyno tuned 140hp 154tq)

Spyder Garage

Form over function over at HD always has been.
    2017 F3S Daytona , Circuit Yellow Metalic

Spyder Garage

Default Indian

I have a friend who is a lead engineer at Indian. Although owned by Polaris, Polaris has been hands off the throttle and has left the business to motorcycle people. They didn't inspire loyalty though by the quick disappearance of the Victory label. From what I've been told, Indian is being done right. I like their styling of retro but new. There is a nod to the past, but not a stuck in the past feel. My friend gets to bring a new bike out of the stable each year when he goes for a week-long ride in June with us. When there have been 3 Harleys and one Indian... the Indian stands out and is the ride that attracts the most attention when we are stopped. Of course, this year there will be two Harleys, 1 Indian and 1 Spyder.

Spyder Garage

Default My dream

That very bike is what I feel in love with as a High school kid. My cousin that had one lived 300 miles away had one. Then his girl friend bought one just like it. My paper route would only support a wizzer. And Dad said you buy a motorcycle and you move.

QUOTE=akspyderman;1399215] That is actually one that really says "buy me" to me. I like the leather bags--as a former leather dealer, how could I not??
    The 50's retro paint job is in one of my favorite combos. Turquoise and crème would be another.

I could see myself riding that one for sure.

Looking further into the ad...they even have the somewhat turquoise/crème I mentioned. Seeing them together--I guess I would opt for the green. And the price is "right on."

Thanks for giving me a case of the "drools" for the next six months or so.

And a PS: I am NOT planning on abandoning my two 's.[/QUOTE]

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by vindex1963 View Post
    Year to date Harley has sold $125 million in general merchandise, $366 million in bike loans, $400 million in parts and accesories, and 2.3 billion in motorcycles.

They currently have a $1 billion cash reserve, they have generated $100 million more in cash than 2017.

I'm thinking any company manufacturing anything wishes they had Harley's problems...

Polaris makes the Indian, Polaris kicked it's Victory customers to the curb. Polaris makes the Slingshot and many off-road vehicles that suffer constant recalls.

My point, H/D is head and shoulders above anything being produced by Polaris at the moment as far as revenue and lack of recalls.
    the thing i was impressed with is when i read that indian was rated best overall quality outside of the japanese big 4.
    rated above bmw, can am & harley. i can't speak for the cheiftan or springfield but the scout is an excellent bike &
    what i love most is the balance and my wife likes it too. happy wife, happy life.

Spyder Garage

Default Harley recall

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    Nothing new there another reason why I left the Harley world. It's like they took 3 steps back on quality. Not only the clutch issues either. Ex. Compensators are crap too and now the oil getting in the the primaries on the M8 models. There are some things I do like but for now the Spyder is my ride for now. Still want to test a vanderhall and slingshot someday.
    I think Harley quality maybe off some, and their prices up, but you do have metal to attach screws too, and very little tuffer ware to worry about! Can Am Spyders are # 10 on the reliability chart, but I am on my third one, 2013 RT Limited, 2016 RT Limited, and now a 2018 F3 Limited. It is 5 weeks old, just replaced the paddle shift module yesterday under warranty, now have a piece of tuffer ware with corner holding tip broke! Don't know if BRP will warranty it, Dealer's Tech said it was broke when he took it off while installing the paddle shift module! One thing for sure I didn't break it, and I am about ready to buy a bike with no tuffer ware to strip out or break off! All 2018 F3's and RT's are having paddle shifter problems, so why don't BRP admit they have a bad part and find a new supplier for this paddle shifter module! We can't go every 5 weeks (230 mile) round trip to a Dealer with one Spyder Tech, and have the wait for BRP to ok the replacement of the Paddle shifters they know are faulty! $75,000 spent on Spyders, and one old Harley will wear out all 3 of them! Sorry, just needed to vent a little! Thanks for a great Forum like Spyderlovers!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN View Post
    the thing i was impressed with is when i read that indian was rated best overall quality outside of the japanese big 4.
    rated above bmw, can am & harley. i can't speak for the cheiftan or springfield but the scout is an excellent bike &
    what i love most is the balance and my wife likes it too. happy wife, happy life.
    Being happy with the purchase is what it's all about. I was quite the Polaris/Victory cheerleader promoting them to anyone that would listen until they kicked me right in the nuts
    so I do admit I'm sour on all Polaris products. We were in the market for a Polaris RZR and today I have a sweet Arctic Cat Wildcat refusing to give a dime to Polaris.

I'm truly happy you like your Indian that's great and I also hope you have many, many years of happy riding with it.
    2012 RT A&C SE5
    2015 Victory Cross Country (Dyno tuned 118hp 116tq)
    2006 Triumph Rocket Dyno tuned 140hp 154tq)

Spyder Garage

Default they all do...

Not just Harley......They all have recalls.......I guess I have to take mine in to get the recall work done.
    2015 F3S SE6
    You don't stop riding because you get old, you get old because you stop riding

2015 F3s , Orange/black