Thread: runaway mirrors

Spyder Garage

Default runaway mirrors

Last Thursday my wife [pillion] & myself were cruising along at the posted 100 kph speed limit. Always looking some distance up the road, I noticed a couple of staggered step ups in the bitumen. I could not slow down much as there were cars up my backside & I couldn't go around the stepups as there was on coming traffic. Hit these stepups at about 90kph. Jolted the bars a little, & at the same time, the left hand mirror decided to detach itself from it's mounting. Luckily the blinker plug held & the cable acted as a tether. I reached down & grabbed the mirror as it was dancing all over the body panel below & at the same time looking up the road for some where to pull over. A few hundred meters up the road i see a slight widening of our lane & started to slow down. The RT is a manual which made it a bit of a juggling act trying to change down without using the clutch. Finally came to a stop, unplugged the mirror gave it to my wife & quickly merged into the traffic as i could not stay where i had stopped. Bugger me, i had only just got up to the speed limit, hit a repaired patch of bitumen & you guessed it. The bloody right hand mirror detaches itself & disappears from view. I take a quick look around & see the mirror now in three pieces bouncing down the on coming lane [ luckily no cars ] & into the bush. I take a mental note of where it left the road & where i can park on my return. With a little searching i found the 3 pieces. The flasher unit itself not a mark on it. The black plastic surrounding the mirror only slightly scuffed, but amazingly the actual mirror like new. The bottom black plastic shell 1 small scuff. The top painted shell only 4 small scratches. Really tough plastic & easily repaired.

Yesterday i received the magic mirror mounts. What a great product & a piece of cake to install. No more runaway mirrors.
    So if you haven't tethered your standard crappy mounts do so. IMHO purchase the magic mirror mounts & you'll never be on edge having to thump the mirrors [WTF] again to remove them.
    Last edited by treva; 10-24-2018 at 01:33 AM.

Spyder Garage

Default what year cycle ?

it is a mystery my friend , what sort of repair or installation , has your cycle needed for the mirrors to be that loose ? it is a bugger to pop those off when you need to , was it a service shop or yourself that last removed the mirrors ? ( crazy that both popped off ) glad you were able to find the other one with no real damage...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by youngers View Post
    it is a mystery my friend , what sort of repair or installation , has your cycle needed for the mirrors to be that loose ? it is a bugger to pop those off when you need to , was it a service shop or yourself that last removed the mirrors ? ( crazy that both popped off ) glad you were able to find the other one with no real damage...
    No repairs or installation. Bike has yet to have its first service. [ 4300 klms.] I've had them off/on a couple of times with no problems. Usually check them before every 2nd/3rd ride. I think it was a combo of speed & angle of the stepups. Regardless, those mounts especially the top one are junk.

Spyder Garage

Default Wow...!!

hear about this happening but you sure were lucky with the slight damage and being able to retrieve them and all their parts. Glad you went with the new attatchment system.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default Magnet mount

I always wanted to add the magic magnetic mounts to my mirrors but never did. My wife was lucky at Spyderquest this year and won a set from Blueknight911. I was skeptical installing them and absolutely used the enclosed safety tether. Since the install, about 2000 miles of riding both back road twisties of NY, VT and interstate speedways...not and issue with the mirrors and in fact, minimal vibration...actually no vibration. Blueknight911’s option is another choice for those interested in magnetic mounts. I recommend them!

Spyder Garage

which ever option you choose, they will be far superior to the OEM mounts. Akin to comparing apples to cow poo.

Spyder Garage

Default Yes !!

Quote Originally Posted by Cleg View Post
    I always wanted to add the magic magnetic mounts to my mirrors but never did. My wife was lucky at Spyderquest this year and won a set from Blueknight911. I was skeptical installing them and absolutely used the enclosed safety tether. Since the install, about 2000 miles of riding both back road twisties of NY, VT and interstate speedways...not and issue with the mirrors and in fact, minimal vibration...actually no vibration. Blueknight911’s option is another choice for those interested in magnetic mounts. I recommend them!
    Ray & Marci
    Tenino, WA
    2014RTL Cognac
    ALWAYS ride 2 up.