Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Best sounding muffler

Any suggestions for a nice sounding (not too loud) muffler for a new 2018RT Limited.... I prefer one that I can listen to on youtube if possible...

thanks for any information

Spyder Garage

Default Ah yes....

Much like beauty is in the eye of the beholder muflers are in the ear of the listener... I do not have an RT but from the ones I have heard I am partial to the Yoshimura R77 with optional baffle. Many have found that removing the cat is often enough...do think they have all of it on youtube...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default OEM

OEM.......
    QUIET is BEST....
    and your neighbors will love you for it....

Spyder Garage

Check out RLS Exhaust. Ricky Sutton makes a great sounding muffler that slips right on in place of the stock one. Easy Peasy. I paid $380 for it at Spyderfest with a Firefighter discount. The cat stays on the bike. Gives it a nice low tone with a little rumble, and a bit of "attitude" on the down shifts Not tinny or Harley sounding....not too loud either. It looks and sounds great. I think he has some sound bites on YouTube.
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

I'm on a serious quest to find out this very answer. I currently have 4 different exhausts and two different cat deletes. When I get time, I'm going to make a video showing the various combinations and sounds/levels. 2015 RT.

As far as CAT deletes...... I had the delete from Lamonster with stock muffler and it sounded ok but it was a LOT better (lower tone) when the Big City Thunder baffle was added into it. I used that combo for the last couple of years. You can't go wrong with it because it:
    1. isn't too loud
    2. has a lower tone

I also have two different RLS mufflers and a Spyder1 Attitude exhaust.

I just bought the RLS cat delete from Ricky at the Spyder in the Hills Rally. Installed it yesterday with the stock muffler back on just to see. NICE!!! His work is AWESOME. Great welds and perfect fit. In my opinion (after riding a couple hours yesterday and today), it sounds and looks better than the other cat delete. Not by a lot, but noticeable. His has a muffler component that is wide in diameter, so it helps with back pressure (which our 1330's need) and resonance. I don't think there is a need for the Big City Thunder baffle to go in it. It resonates much deeper on it's own.
    2015 RT Limited: Fox Shocks - RonJon swaybar and links - BRP Comfort Seat - BRP Triaxis handlebars - Yokohama tires (26psi fronts 28psi back) - Centramatic wheel balancers - BRP belt tensioner - BRP Short windshield - CATdelete/Spyder1 attitude exhaust - Lamonster footpegs - sintered brake pads - LED TRYCLED lights - BumpSkid

2015 RT Limited , black

Spyder Garage
    2015 RT Limited: Fox Shocks - RonJon swaybar and links - BRP Comfort Seat - BRP Triaxis handlebars - Yokohama tires (26psi fronts 28psi back) - Centramatic wheel balancers - BRP belt tensioner - BRP Short windshield - CATdelete/Spyder1 attitude exhaust - Lamonster footpegs - sintered brake pads - LED TRYCLED lights - BumpSkid

2015 RT Limited , black

Spyder Garage

Default RLS

I've been running my RLS exhaust with original cat delete , it sounds amAzing and everywhere I stop people come and ask me about the muffler.

I recently put Rls cat delete pipe and dual Harley style mufflers on a F3 limited , and also had great sound .....Give RLS exhaust a try , great workmanship

2016 RT-S Pearl White

BRP Driver Backrest
    Lamonster Spyderdock, (2) Spydercuffs
    Magic Mirror w/Doc Humphreys tethers
    (2) Rokform phone mounts
    FOBO
    SpyderPops Bumpskid,missing belt guard,Rear strobe LEDs
    Lamonster LED headlights & foglights
    Spyder Pockets
    LED front fender kit -running & turn signals
    Custom Back off mudflap
    Vinyl nameplate & 1330 triple decals by New Image Signs
    Custom RLS exhaust
    Hogtunes speakers 5 1/4 front and back
    Memphis Powersports Amp
    Her name is "Purl"
    2016 RT-S , white

Spyder Garage

Default Spyderman exhaust

I have a system from spydermanexhaust.com. In my opinion it has a great deep tone and I believe the bike runs better and I get a bit better fuel mileage. Just throwing it out there.
    2016 RT-Ltd
    Bajaron swaybar
    Spyderpops trunk light
    Elka stage 2 front shocks
    Extra longbrake pedal
    brake modulator
    Centramatic wheel balancers on the front and rear.
    Rivco dual flag holder
    Tricled mirror turn signal indicators
    with American and Texas flags
    Lamonster Magic Mirrors
    missing belt guard
    Lambskin seat cover from Smokey mountain sheepskin.com
    Tricled 360 degree led Headlights
    Lamonster led fog lights
    Baker air wings
    2019 Silverado Duramax dually
    2019 Cyclone 4007 toyhauler
    Spyderpops bumpskid w led light
    Rivco brand footrest
    spydermanexhaust.com exhaust
    had my exhaust installed @ Spyder in the hills.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tehrlich View Post
    I'm on a serious quest to find out this very answer. I currently have 4 different exhausts and two different cat deletes. When I get time, I'm going to make a video showing the various combinations and sounds/levels. 2015 RT.

As far as CAT deletes...... I had the delete from Lamonster with stock muffler and it sounded ok but it was a LOT better (lower tone) when the Big City Thunder baffle was added into it. I used that combo for the last couple of years. You can't go wrong with it because it:
    1. isn't too loud
    2. has a lower tone

I also have two different RLS mufflers and a Spyder1 Attitude exhaust.

I just bought the RLS cat delete from Ricky at the Spyder in the Hills Rally. Installed it yesterday with the stock muffler back on just to see. NICE!!! His work is AWESOME. Great welds and perfect fit. In my opinion (after riding a couple hours yesterday and today), it sounds and looks better than the other cat delete. Not by a lot, but noticeable. His has a muffler component that is wide in diameter, so it helps with back pressure (which our 1330's need) and resonance. I don't think there is a need for the Big City Thunder baffle to go in it. It resonates much deeper on it's own.
    When you accomplish this shootout of exhaust components, will time allow you to get about 200 miles of varied riding in on each setup before you decide?

These machines, and the engine management computers need time and miles to fully learn the optimum setup for installed components and how tne bike is ridden.

My opinion is the exhaust tone is soft until some miles are put on the exhaust. Partially based on the computer and secondly with use the packing breaks in as it settles with heat and pressure.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ramrover View Post
    Any suggestions for a nice sounding (not too loud) muffler for a new 2018RT Limited.... I prefer one that I can listen to on youtube if possible...

If it matters, you need to be cautious when deciding by or comparing you tube video / sound clips. Sometimes in the video they sound great but in person are horrible, or on the videos sound horrible but are great in person.

Also, and I may be wrong saying this, there just seems to be a wide variation of what owners here prefer and why they prefer what they have.

All that said, we have a 14 RTS, back when first introduced I bought a Lamonster cat delete. Back then there was no baffle available or included. Our bike does not have that deep tone or rumble. Rather it has more of the high end sports car sound with rpm. Add in the paddle shift setup, with ignition cut to allow the shifts, and it does get the upshift bang and downshift burble.

Spyder Garage

With the triple engine they all sound like tuner cars or the teenager who throws a coffee can exhaust on his civic to sound cool. I prefer the quite of my RTL but do wish it looked better as I don't really care for the black with chrome heat covers of the stock unit, it just looks cheap. That would be why I will change my exhaust. Chris

2021 RT Limited
    2021 Spyder RT Liminted , Marsala Red in Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    When you accomplish this shootout of exhaust components, will time allow you to get about 200 miles of varied riding in on each setup before you decide?

These machines, and the engine management computers need time and miles to fully learn the optimum setup for installed components and how tne bike is ridden.

My opinion is the exhaust tone is soft until some miles are put on the exhaust. Partially based on the computer and secondly with use the packing breaks in as it settles with heat and pressure.

Yes, of course: need miles through them.

I've been using this setup since buying at the Deadwood rally in July. It's from Spyder 1 Attitude. Go here. In my opinion it looks AWESOME! I just have a few issues with it. I've had to rework the baffles that go into the pipes. This is NOT a big deal. I can't believe people complain about replacing the packing. I did this and got the sound to neighborhood tolerable levels and a nice deeper sound, in my opinion. I also do not like how it does not have the support posts. It vibrates at the junction and I'm afraid it will eventually wear out the gasket and it hangs lower with the lack of support posts/hanger. It also only has two of the three springs hooks. That avoids the harder spring, but still, it should be there. It is also painted and not ceramic coated. So, the paint is already coming off. When I replaced it to try the RLS cat delete, I just repainted it. Not a big deal, but a lower level of quality.

It is still my favorite setup, but I need to get it more stable before using it again.

I think if someone was just looking for a better tone and not loud the RLS cat delete is the way to go.
    exhaust 3.jpg

2015 RT Limited , black

Spyder Garage

Yes, of course: need miles through them.

I've been using this setup since buying at the Deadwood rally in July. It's from Spyder 1 Attitude. Go here. In my opinion it looks AWESOME! I just have a few issues with it. I've had to rework the baffles that go into the pipes. This is NOT a big deal. I can't believe people complain about replacing the packing. I did this and got the sound to neighborhood tolerable levels and a nice deeper sound, in my opinion. I also do not like how it does not have the support posts. It vibrates at the junction and I'm afraid it will eventually wear out the gasket and it hangs lower with the lack of support posts/hanger. It also only has two of the three springs hooks. That avoids the harder spring, but still, it should be there. It is also painted and not ceramic coated. So, the paint is already coming off. When I replaced it to try the RLS cat delete, I just repainted it. Not a big deal, but a lower level of quality.

It is still my favorite setup, but I need to get it more stable before using it again.

I think if someone was just looking for a better tone and not loud the RLS cat delete is the way to go.
    exhaust 3.jpg
    You mentioned repacking the muffler. Did you use simple fibreglass or actual glass packing material, or did you go more exotic and longer life with a different fibre?

As for quality, yes not inexpensive, but our bypass pipe from Lamonster, actually it came from Pitbull back then, is very sweet and high quality.

Curious how everything else you have compares.

Long ago I was wanting more but soon realized an RT with hop ups is essentially like hot rodding moms station wagon. Yes, the station wagon can be made to get up and go, but why when there are easier ways and better platforms to build on.

Again, very curious to watch how this comes together.

Spyder Garage

I know it’s expensive, but how about the Akropovic slip-on? I’m reluctant to remove the cat.

David

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ramrover View Post

I like the way it is originally from factory. Quiet and smooth. Also to many residental neighborhoods are prohibiting motorcycles because of noisy bikes.

Spyder Garage

You mentioned repacking the muffler. Did you use simple fibreglass or actual glass packing material, or did you go more exotic and longer life with a different fibre?

As for quality, yes not inexpensive, but our bypass pipe from Lamonster, actually it came from Pitbull back then, is very sweet and high quality.

Curious how everything else you have compares.

Long ago I was wanting more but soon realized an RT with hop ups is essentially like hot rodding moms station wagon. Yes, the station wagon can be made to get up and go, but why when there are easier ways and better platforms to build on.

Again, very curious to watch how this comes together.
    I cheated and bought a baffle set through Dennis Kirk. Go here. It already had the fiberglass packing and internal metal lumen. They just slid right in and restricted the flow better. The two baffles were $16. I also added a couple restrictors on both ends. I don't think this is ideal for someone to have to do all of this to get better sound. The product has a long way to go, but it is almost there for me. The long 3" pipes at least have better physics of resonance than my RLS exhausts.

Pitbull/Lamonster's bypass is great. I've used one for over two years. Ricky at RLS has a much better one: the black one in the above picture. It also comes in chrome.

Your analogy to a station wagon is very true! However, there is an improvement with switching out the two stock mufflers to something that flows better. You can easily feel the acceleration, but the trick is to get the noise to a tolerable level and that sounds good. I'm 90% there!

2015 RT Limited , black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJS View Post
    I know it’s expensive, but how about the Akropovic slip-on? I’m reluctant to remove the cat.

David
    I don't think it sounds that much different from stock. In my opinion you would be MUCH better off by doing the CAT delete and keeping your stock exhaust. It is NOT hard to do, except getting the inner spring off. Go buy a spring hook at your local auto parts store. You have to muscle that off. It's not that hard but the accessibility makes it difficult. I've done it countless times now.

2015 RT Limited , black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by joekeys View Post
    I like the way it is originally from factory. Quiet and smooth. Also to many residental neighborhoods are prohibiting motorcycles because of noisy bikes.
    Oh, I agree with this. I go out in the middle of the night and take a lot of Milky Way pictures. There has been a couple of times that I had to put my stock setup back on because my experimented exhaust was like a cannon! That isn't so appealing at 2am!

2015 RT Limited , black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default 09RS and 15RS

ive had hindle, 2bros, leo vince, Yoshi, and now akrapovic and best sounding was Yoshi. nice deep tone but not too loud.
    akrapovic is nice too with baffles out but some may prefer to be little quieter. I do have the cat delete out so it is quite loud but with baffles in place, I don't think you will get ANY complaints but still sounds decent.
    when I first put the akrapovic on and turned the Spyder on, I felt it was too loud but after a ride, it felt perfect. loud enough to get noticed but not enough to get pulled over.

akrapovic takes top place for quality. it just says "high quality" and no need for repacking.
    you can still find some bargain on eBay.
    Last edited by aka1004; 10-23-2018 at 09:57 PM.
    6 states down 42 states to go

Spyder Garage

I cheated and bought a baffle set through Dennis Kirk. Go here. It already had the fiberglass packing and internal metal lumen. They just slid right in and restricted the flow better. The two baffles were $16. I also added a couple restrictors on both ends. I don't think this is ideal for someone to have to do all of this to get better sound. The product has a long way to go, but it is almost there for me. The long 3" pipes at least have better physics of resonance than my RLS exhausts.

Pitbull/Lamonster's bypass is great. I've used one for over two years. Ricky at RLS has a much better one: the black one in the above picture. It also comes in chrome.

Your analogy to a station wagon is very true! However, there is an improvement with switching out the two stock mufflers to something that flows better. You can easily feel the acceleration, but the trick is to get the noise to a tolerable level and that sounds good. I'm 90% there!
    I was under the impression the RLS stuff needed you to paint the exhaust since it is not stainless like the Lamonster. Is the resonator on the RLS why you say its better or is it tone or something else.

Spyder Garage

I was under the impression the RLS stuff needed you to paint the exhaust since it is not stainless like the Lamonster. Is the resonator on the RLS why you say its better or is it tone or something else.

The tone is much better. I didn't like the straight cat delete until I put the Big City Thunder baffle in it. Then, I loved it.

The RLS cat delete makes the stock exhaust sound better than that even.

2015 RT Limited , black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by C. Lee View Post
    With the triple engine they all sound like tuner cars or the teenager who throws a coffee can exhaust on his civic to sound cool. I prefer the quite of my RTL but do wish it looked better as I don't really care for the black with chrome heat covers of the stock unit, it just looks cheap. That would be why I will change my exhaust. Chris
    ^^^ EXACTLY!

IMHO, loud mufflers on anything other than a V-Twin or V8 sounds like crap.

Spyder Garage

I wanted something a bit throatier but not obnoxiously loud. I wound up putting on just the RLS cat delete with stock muffler. The cat delete seemed to be of excellent quality, it does sound a bit better and is certainly not loud enough to worry about neighborhoods at nights, etc. Any maybe its my imagination but I'm not willing to put the cat back on to compare, but it seems much peppier. So far I am very pleased with and would recommend the RLS cat delete.
    NEW/CURRENT (Wife's Bike, I ride Goldwing/Africa Twin)
    2023 RT Limited Petrol Blue Metallic
    Working on the upgrades... so far... Show Chrome Isolator Fuse Block, Tackform Adventure Wireless charger phone mount

OLD/TRADED
    2015 RT Limited Intense Red Pearl
    Farkles: Ultimate Tallboy seat, FOBO, JT Dash Mount, Lamonster Spyder Cuff, Kradellock, TricLED lighting - fenders, A-Arms, saddlebags, run/brake, Custom Dynamics high brake light, brake modulator, Drink2Go passenger, MUTH turn signal mirrors, Bajaron sway bar, Kuryakyn ISO grips, SpyderTV front grilles & rear trunk organizer, homemade trunk light
    Pending: Elka shocks, Yokohama S Drive rear tire, EVO 595 front tires, Centramatic balancers, Neutrino black box

Spyder Garage

Hi,

We had a full length replacement put in at Maggie Valley by SpyderAttitude.com. Turned it into (like said above) a teenager with a "fart can", but not too awful loud with the baffle. What struck me the most was putting the old "cat" and muffler into our pull behind trailer - the WEIGHT of those two items! Like around 30lbs or so!? Could definitely feel a bit zipper with the weight removal, and after about 5K miles seeing a 2-3MPG increase, sometimes 3-4MPG on the highway. ECU has by now has re-tuned itself, no pops on deceleration. I put it on due to far too many times cars deciding they wanted my lane and apparently not seeing or hearing me. For $450, it was worth it, as I feel a tiny bit safer and the better gas mileage & zippiness is nice.

Steve

Spyder Garage

Two Brother, with a cat Delete has a deep sound and gets loud enough for the cagers to hear you, some might not like it but I do so it must be a preferred sound.
    Last edited by MSa1956; 11-27-2018 at 07:32 AM.

Add On’s

2017 Pearl White RTL
    SPYDER RAM Multi Mount
    Ram Mount Drivers cup holder
    Ram Mount passenger Cup Holder
    TRICELED Bar/Circle
    Brake Light/RGB LED
    Ground Effects Lighting
    Airhorn/compressor
    LED Head Lights
    LED Fog Lights
    K & N Air filter