Hybrid View

Spyder Garage

Default Best sounding muffler

Any suggestions for a nice sounding (not too loud) muffler for a new 2018RT Limited.... I prefer one that I can listen to on youtube if possible...

thanks for any information

Spyder Garage

Default Ah yes....

Much like beauty is in the eye of the beholder muflers are in the ear of the listener... I do not have an RT but from the ones I have heard I am partial to the Yoshimura R77 with optional baffle. Many have found that removing the cat is often enough...do think they have all of it on youtube...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default OEM

OEM.......
    QUIET is BEST....
    and your neighbors will love you for it....

Spyder Garage

Check out RLS Exhaust. Ricky Sutton makes a great sounding muffler that slips right on in place of the stock one. Easy Peasy. I paid $380 for it at Spyderfest with a Firefighter discount. The cat stays on the bike. Gives it a nice low tone with a little rumble, and a bit of "attitude" on the down shifts Not tinny or Harley sounding....not too loud either. It looks and sounds great. I think he has some sound bites on YouTube.
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

I'm on a serious quest to find out this very answer. I currently have 4 different exhausts and two different cat deletes. When I get time, I'm going to make a video showing the various combinations and sounds/levels. 2015 RT.

As far as CAT deletes...... I had the delete from Lamonster with stock muffler and it sounded ok but it was a LOT better (lower tone) when the Big City Thunder baffle was added into it. I used that combo for the last couple of years. You can't go wrong with it because it:
    1. isn't too loud
    2. has a lower tone

I also have two different RLS mufflers and a Spyder1 Attitude exhaust.

I just bought the RLS cat delete from Ricky at the Spyder in the Hills Rally. Installed it yesterday with the stock muffler back on just to see. NICE!!! His work is AWESOME. Great welds and perfect fit. In my opinion (after riding a couple hours yesterday and today), it sounds and looks better than the other cat delete. Not by a lot, but noticeable. His has a muffler component that is wide in diameter, so it helps with back pressure (which our 1330's need) and resonance. I don't think there is a need for the Big City Thunder baffle to go in it. It resonates much deeper on it's own.
    2015 RT Limited: Fox Shocks - RonJon swaybar and links - BRP Comfort Seat - BRP Triaxis handlebars - Yokohama tires (26psi fronts 28psi back) - Centramatic wheel balancers - BRP belt tensioner - BRP Short windshield - CATdelete/Spyder1 attitude exhaust - Lamonster footpegs - sintered brake pads - LED TRYCLED lights - BumpSkid

2015 RT Limited , black

Spyder Garage
    2015 RT Limited: Fox Shocks - RonJon swaybar and links - BRP Comfort Seat - BRP Triaxis handlebars - Yokohama tires (26psi fronts 28psi back) - Centramatic wheel balancers - BRP belt tensioner - BRP Short windshield - CATdelete/Spyder1 attitude exhaust - Lamonster footpegs - sintered brake pads - LED TRYCLED lights - BumpSkid

2015 RT Limited , black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tehrlich View Post
    I'm on a serious quest to find out this very answer. I currently have 4 different exhausts and two different cat deletes. When I get time, I'm going to make a video showing the various combinations and sounds/levels. 2015 RT.

As far as CAT deletes...... I had the delete from Lamonster with stock muffler and it sounded ok but it was a LOT better (lower tone) when the Big City Thunder baffle was added into it. I used that combo for the last couple of years. You can't go wrong with it because it:
    1. isn't too loud
    2. has a lower tone

I also have two different RLS mufflers and a Spyder1 Attitude exhaust.

I just bought the RLS cat delete from Ricky at the Spyder in the Hills Rally. Installed it yesterday with the stock muffler back on just to see. NICE!!! His work is AWESOME. Great welds and perfect fit. In my opinion (after riding a couple hours yesterday and today), it sounds and looks better than the other cat delete. Not by a lot, but noticeable. His has a muffler component that is wide in diameter, so it helps with back pressure (which our 1330's need) and resonance. I don't think there is a need for the Big City Thunder baffle to go in it. It resonates much deeper on it's own.
    When you accomplish this shootout of exhaust components, will time allow you to get about 200 miles of varied riding in on each setup before you decide?

These machines, and the engine management computers need time and miles to fully learn the optimum setup for installed components and how tne bike is ridden.

My opinion is the exhaust tone is soft until some miles are put on the exhaust. Partially based on the computer and secondly with use the packing breaks in as it settles with heat and pressure.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    Much like beauty is in the eye of the beholder muflers are in the ear of the listener... I do not have an RT but from the ones I have heard I am partial to the Yoshimura R77 with optional baffle. Many have found that removing the cat is often enough...do think they have all of it on youtube...
    I agree , I thought the Yoshimura sounded the best for me and I’m glad I got it . I have had a few Spyder owners approach me and ask what it was

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ramrover View Post
    Any suggestions for a nice sounding (not too loud) muffler for a new 2018RT Limited.... I prefer one that I can listen to on youtube if possible...

If it matters, you need to be cautious when deciding by or comparing you tube video / sound clips. Sometimes in the video they sound great but in person are horrible, or on the videos sound horrible but are great in person.

Also, and I may be wrong saying this, there just seems to be a wide variation of what owners here prefer and why they prefer what they have.

All that said, we have a 14 RTS, back when first introduced I bought a Lamonster cat delete. Back then there was no baffle available or included. Our bike does not have that deep tone or rumble. Rather it has more of the high end sports car sound with rpm. Add in the paddle shift setup, with ignition cut to allow the shifts, and it does get the upshift bang and downshift burble.

Spyder Garage

With the triple engine they all sound like tuner cars or the teenager who throws a coffee can exhaust on his civic to sound cool. I prefer the quite of my RTL but do wish it looked better as I don't really care for the black with chrome heat covers of the stock unit, it just looks cheap. That would be why I will change my exhaust. Chris

2021 RT Limited
    2021 Spyder RT Liminted , Marsala Red in Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by C. Lee View Post
    With the triple engine they all sound like tuner cars or the teenager who throws a coffee can exhaust on his civic to sound cool. I prefer the quite of my RTL but do wish it looked better as I don't really care for the black with chrome heat covers of the stock unit, it just looks cheap. That would be why I will change my exhaust. Chris
    ^^^ EXACTLY!

IMHO, loud mufflers on anything other than a V-Twin or V8 sounds like crap.

Spyder Garage

I wanted something a bit throatier but not obnoxiously loud. I wound up putting on just the RLS cat delete with stock muffler. The cat delete seemed to be of excellent quality, it does sound a bit better and is certainly not loud enough to worry about neighborhoods at nights, etc. Any maybe its my imagination but I'm not willing to put the cat back on to compare, but it seems much peppier. So far I am very pleased with and would recommend the RLS cat delete.
    NEW/CURRENT (Wife's Bike, I ride Goldwing/Africa Twin)
    2023 RT Limited Petrol Blue Metallic
    Working on the upgrades... so far... Show Chrome Isolator Fuse Block, Tackform Adventure Wireless charger phone mount

OLD/TRADED
    2015 RT Limited Intense Red Pearl
    Farkles: Ultimate Tallboy seat, FOBO, JT Dash Mount, Lamonster Spyder Cuff, Kradellock, TricLED lighting - fenders, A-Arms, saddlebags, run/brake, Custom Dynamics high brake light, brake modulator, Drink2Go passenger, MUTH turn signal mirrors, Bajaron sway bar, Kuryakyn ISO grips, SpyderTV front grilles & rear trunk organizer, homemade trunk light
    Pending: Elka shocks, Yokohama S Drive rear tire, EVO 595 front tires, Centramatic balancers, Neutrino black box

Spyder Garage

Hi,

We had a full length replacement put in at Maggie Valley by SpyderAttitude.com. Turned it into (like said above) a teenager with a "fart can", but not too awful loud with the baffle. What struck me the most was putting the old "cat" and muffler into our pull behind trailer - the WEIGHT of those two items! Like around 30lbs or so!? Could definitely feel a bit zipper with the weight removal, and after about 5K miles seeing a 2-3MPG increase, sometimes 3-4MPG on the highway. ECU has by now has re-tuned itself, no pops on deceleration. I put it on due to far too many times cars deciding they wanted my lane and apparently not seeing or hearing me. For $450, it was worth it, as I feel a tiny bit safer and the better gas mileage & zippiness is nice.

Steve

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ramrover View Post

I like the way it is originally from factory. Quiet and smooth. Also to many residental neighborhoods are prohibiting motorcycles because of noisy bikes.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by joekeys View Post
    I like the way it is originally from factory. Quiet and smooth. Also to many residental neighborhoods are prohibiting motorcycles because of noisy bikes.
    Oh, I agree with this. I go out in the middle of the night and take a lot of Milky Way pictures. There has been a couple of times that I had to put my stock setup back on because my experimented exhaust was like a cannon! That isn't so appealing at 2am!

2015 RT Limited , black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default 09RS and 15RS

ive had hindle, 2bros, leo vince, Yoshi, and now akrapovic and best sounding was Yoshi. nice deep tone but not too loud.
    akrapovic is nice too with baffles out but some may prefer to be little quieter. I do have the cat delete out so it is quite loud but with baffles in place, I don't think you will get ANY complaints but still sounds decent.
    when I first put the akrapovic on and turned the Spyder on, I felt it was too loud but after a ride, it felt perfect. loud enough to get noticed but not enough to get pulled over.

akrapovic takes top place for quality. it just says "high quality" and no need for repacking.
    you can still find some bargain on eBay.
    Last edited by aka1004; 10-23-2018 at 09:57 PM.
    6 states down 42 states to go

Spyder Garage

Two Brother, with a cat Delete has a deep sound and gets loud enough for the cagers to hear you, some might not like it but I do so it must be a preferred sound.
    Last edited by MSa1956; 11-27-2018 at 07:32 AM.

Add On’s

2017 Pearl White RTL
    SPYDER RAM Multi Mount
    Ram Mount Drivers cup holder
    Ram Mount passenger Cup Holder
    TRICELED Bar/Circle
    Brake Light/RGB LED
    Ground Effects Lighting
    Airhorn/compressor
    LED Head Lights
    LED Fog Lights
    K & N Air filter
    Two Brothers SR1
    Cat Bypass Pipe
    Easter Beaver Accessorie block
    USB pwr plug
    Removable hitch assembly

Spyder Garage

I've used/got Two Brothers Racing slipon system on both my old 2012 RSS and my current F3 S. Fit and finish on both systems was first rate, and installation was easy. The system on my '12 RSS was way too loud out of the box, so I installed one of TBR's P1X power tips to knock some dbs off the sound level. It was still too loud for my taste.

On my F3 S I ordered the P1X power tip at the same time as the system itself, and an accessory can opener baffle to slip into the S pipe (the can opener baffle is a universal fit and comes in 3 different diameters--so you have to be sure and order the one that matches your replacement S pip inside diameter). As an aside some claim the can opener baffle helps regain/maintain any mid range torque lost by the installation of the after market exhaust; based on my seat of the pants dyno---they are correct!

VERY satisfied with both the tone and volume level of this system. Nice and low/throaty, and just barely audible at cruising speed (55-60 MPH).

https://www.twobros.com/collections/...stem-2014-2015

https://www.twobros.com/collections/...ips-db-killers If you read the text descriptions below the images it's the P1X tip

https://www.motosport.com/Bikers-Cho...st-Pipe-Baffle This add only lists 2 of the 3 sizes

Good luck with whatever you do/choose!

2018 F3 S, BRP SS Grill, Spoiler, Attitude Bars, #1 linkage kit, Chopped R Fender, TBR S1R slip On exhaust, Elka Stage 2 R Shock, Shad saddlebags

Spyder Garage

Lamonster Garage has a video on their website so you can hear their system on the RT and F3. I like the sound of their product, but everyone is different. At least you can hear it before you buy and hopefully you can compare that sound to other manufacturers. Good luck.

2018 RT Limited Metalic Champagne
    US Spyder Ryders Long Island NY Chapter
    2018 RT Limited , Metallic Champagne

Spyder Garage