Spyder Garage

Default F3 limited Paddle shifter will not shift into reverse or neutral

My new F3 Limited will not shift into neutral or reverse when I stop! It wants to stay in 1st gear! No problems shifting forward, but hard time getting it to shift into neutral when I stop for gas or a rest break! Help, any suggestions?
    I appreciate your answers, love the F3, but need to backup or stop!

Girard OH (summer) Greenville SC (winter)
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by south GA Farm Boy View Post
    My new F3 Limited will not shift into neutral or reverse when I stop! It wants to stay in 1st gear! No problems shifting forward, but hard time getting it to shift into neutral when I stop for gas or a rest break! Help, any suggestions?
    I appreciate your answers, love the F3, but need to backup or stop!
    It won't shift to neutral unless you shut off the bike and it will default to "N" when you start up again. To make any other shifts, you must press the brake pedal or it won't. My "T" has been shifting from "N" into "R" without the brake pedal, but I know it won't go into first without.
    Last edited by Rattlebars; 10-22-2018 at 11:48 AM.
    to see my 2016 F3-T and many how to's
    2016 F3-T SE6 Roadster , Extended brake pedal for which I drilled out the brake rod yolk to lower it and added spacers to lift it slightly Black/Grey

Spyder Garage

You need to shift the negative downshift paddle to go into neutral. Than from neutral push down reverse button and hold it while hitting downshift button for reverse. Then hit upshift button to go back to 1st.
    2018 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Spyder Garage

If your F3 is a 2018, read pgs 15, 25, 46 of your operator's guide; it explains everything about Neutral and Reverse and, to the best of my knowledge appplies to all 1330 engine SE6 Spyders.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

You did not say, but is your new F3L a 2018 model? If so. BRP has issued a warranty service bulletin 2018-5 about this issue. Call your dealer and make an appointment and they will replace the left multifunction handlebar control.

PS The only difference I found in shifting going from the ST SE5 to the F3L was the dumbass requirement to have your foot on the brake to shift from neutral to first. If it was for safety reasons. Why do you not need to have your foot on the brake to shift from neutral to reverse.
    Last edited by billybovine; 10-22-2018 at 04:20 PM.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Default shifter paddle on 2018 F3 Limited

Quote Originally Posted by JP58 View Post
    You need to shift the negative downshift paddle to go into neutral. Than from neutral push down reverse button and hold it while hitting downshift button for reverse. Then hit upshift button to go back to 1st.
    That's the problem, you can't shift into neutral from 1st gear! You can stop, put your foot on the brake pedal and push on the back of the shifter until you are blue in the face, it will not go into neutral! Will not shift into reverse either! It won't down shift to a lower gear while riding either, you have to let it do it's own downshifting! I have owned 3 Spyders with the SE transmission, so reading a book is not going to help me, I think the dealer is going to have to change out the left hand shifting switch! Many thanks to all of you for your answers, that is what makes this a great site!

Spyder Garage

Sounds like you got one of the bad shift paddles. No problem with mine yet.

Spyder Garage

Default Bad shifter

Sounds like you got one of the bad shift paddles. No problem with mine yet.
    Yes, I got a bad shifter on my 2018 F3 limited! I have contacted the dealer and he is working on a time for me to bring it in, it is only 4 or 5 weeks old, so it will be a warranty issue. BRP knows we are have problems with the 2018 model shifters, I am not the only one. You can look at this forum, and find others, It is just sad that for a Spyder to cost this much, and we have quality problems right out the gate! I feel sure the Dealer and BRP will solve the problem, It just that my dealers are over 100 miles away. It will not go in neutral or reverse no matter what you do to it! If you switch it completely off while it is in 1st gear, the computer will put it in neutral when you crank it up holding down the brake petal, but it still will not go into reverse, and if you put it in 1st, then you are back where you started with no neutral or reverse! You can't down shift while riding it either! I hope yours don't come up with this issue!
    Many thanks for all the answers!

Spyder Garage

Default bad shifter module

Guys, now I can brag on getting my Shifter module replaced! I had lost the ability to put my 2018 F3 Limited in neutral, reverse or to down shift if I needed too! I contact Byron Powersports in Byron, Georgia, yesterday and shared the problem I was having with my F3 Spyder gear shifter. They checked and had the correct part to fix it, so I took it in (about 230 mile round trip) this morning and they changed out the shifter module in about 2 hours or so, and now I am proud to say everything is working correctly! I guess since I had purchased it there only a few weeks ago, they went our of their way to get me back riding while we still have pretty weather down here! Thanks to Bryon Powersports, and to the Spyderlovers Forum for your quick suggestions on how to fix the problem!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by south GA Farm Boy View Post
    Guys, now I can brag on getting my Shifter module replaced! I had lost the ability to put my 2018 F3 Limited in neutral, reverse or to down shift if I needed too! I contact Byron Powersports in Byron, Georgia, yesterday and shared the problem I was having with my F3 Spyder gear shifter. They checked and had the correct part to fix it, so I took it in (about 230 mile round trip) this morning and they changed out the shifter module in about 2 hours or so, and now I am proud to say everything is working correctly! I guess since I had purchased it there only a few weeks ago, they went our of their way to get me back riding while we still have pretty weather down here! Thanks to Bryon Powersports, and to the Spyderlovers Forum for your quick suggestions on how to fix the problem!
    Was the shift lever replaced or a module. And where is that located.

Spyder Garage

Default Paddle shift module

Was the shift lever replaced or a module. And where is that located.
    They replaced the complete left side module (everything that is connect to that side). They had to take off a lot of tuffer ware up front to run the new wire that comes hooked to the new module to the main connecting point!
    Everything work good now! I hope BRP is reading the article about the problems we are having with all the 2018 models (F3 and RT)! They need to hunt a new supplier for this item! My Spyder is only a few weeks old
    and only has 1070 miles on it! BRP, I hope this new module lasts longer than the first!!!

Spyder Garage

As stated earlier this is a known problem. See Warranty Bulletin 2018-5.
    Stated solution - replace left hand multifunction switch.

Girard OH (summer) Greenville SC (winter)
    Spyder Garage

I did not know that. never had occasion to use it cuz if i push it it's in 1st or off.
    Last edited by Rattlebars; 10-25-2018 at 02:18 PM.
    to see my 2016 F3-T and many how to's
    2016 F3-T SE6 Roadster , Extended brake pedal for which I drilled out the brake rod yolk to lower it and added spacers to lift it slightly Black/Grey

Spyder Garage

I have never had to engage neutral before shifting into reverse from 1st, JP, or am I misreading your post? On my 2016 F3-L, every time I come home the tranmission auto downshifts to 1st as I slow for my driveway. I swing my nose away from the driveway to reverse in, hold down the R button while pressing the - paddle and it shifts past neutral, straight into reverse and I back in and park. Once stopped, I hit the + paddle and it shifts past neutral into 1st, and I then hit the - paddle to move it into neutral in case I want to move the F3 around the garage without actually starting it.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    I have never had to engage neutral before shifting into reverse from 1st, JP, or am I misreading your post? On my 2016 F3-L, every time I come home the tranmission auto downshifts to 1st as I slow for my driveway. I swing my nose away from the driveway to reverse in, hold down the R button while pressing the - paddle and it shifts past neutral, straight into reverse and I back in and park. Once stopped, I hit the + paddle and it shifts past neutral into 1st, and I then hit the - paddle to move it into neutral in case I want to move the F3 around the garage without actually starting it.

Pete
    You are also correct it will work ethier way. I always put my bike in neutral when I park it. Then you do not need to push brake pedal in to start. Without getting on bike I just turn key on, push mode, then start button. If you park in 1st you have to push brake pedal to start.

Spyder Garage

Default Replace it ....

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    You did not say, but is your new F3L a 2018 model? If so. BRP has issued a warranty service bulletin 2018-5 about this issue. Call your dealer and make an appointment and they will replace the left multifunction handlebar control.

PS The only difference I found in shifting going from the ST SE5 to the F3L was the dumbass requirement to have your foot on the brake to shift from neutral to first. If it was for safety reasons. Why do you not need to have your foot on the brake to shift from neutral to reverse.

I had had the same problem, dealer replaced the entire shift module and it works fine now. I spoke with several people at M/V who had the same issue.

Spyder Garage

I have a 2019 F3 limited and my gearshift module is acting up exactly as you guys are describing will not downshift on the fly hard to get in reverse apparently they didn’t fix the 19s either??!!
    SNOWMOBILING ON PAVEMENT!!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by FIRECAT View Post
    I have a 2019 F3 limited and my gearshift module is acting up exactly as you guys are describing will not downshift on the fly hard to get in reverse apparently they didn’t fix the 19s either??!!
    A limited run of 2018s had a defective left handlebar controls with a Can-bus commination problem and often showed up as a gear shift issue but could also show up as a problem on any function on the that control. That is different then the gear change floppy switch going bad.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    A limited run of 2018s had a defective left handlebar controls with a Can-bus commination problem and often showed up as a gear shift issue but could also show up as a problem on any function on the that control. That is different then the gear change floppy switch going bad.
    Well regardless is this considered a recall or is this going to be a warranty claim? I’m into my third year of extended warranty but if this is a recall there should not be a deductible on the repair what’s the story on this what can I expect to deal with with the dealer?
    SNOWMOBILING ON PAVEMENT!!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by FIRECAT View Post
    So you're doing the Fred Flinstone eh....

2018 F3 Limited , Black/Chrome

Spyder Garage

This weakness in the left hand module is well known and well denied by those responsible. My 2020 F3L has had a warranty replacement on order for months with Can Am stating (in writing) that no replacement is available 'in the world'. Unbelievable!!

This solution has worked in mine: after soaking the switch block in WD40 and another brand the result was good for a short time then back to zero down shifting. Next I soaked the block with a lanolin base spray and problem fixed. No shifting problems at all now. That was 4k km ago.

I simply held a rag beneath to catch any drips, and there were many with WD40 but very little with the lanolin spray. Liberally squirt the can into every switch orifice ... lots of it. Paddle switching problem was completely gone after a few rydes through the hills with lots of gear changing. In Australia the product is called Lanox or Inox MX4.
    There is usually another way. 2020 F3Ltd.
    2020 F3 Ltd , Brake Pedel lowered. Liquid Titanium