Thread: First service

Spyder Garage

Default First service

According to the owner's manual, the first service should be performed at 3,000 miles, yet I am reading posts where people are saying that it should be at 600 miles. That's quite a difference. What is the advantage of having it done at 600 miles vs 3,000 miles?
    Also, do you HAVE to have the first service done by the dealer, for warranty purposes?
    I have always done my own maintenance on my Harley (which I traded in for a 2018 F3 LTD), and see no reason why I cannot do the same with the Spyder.
    What is your opinion?
    2018 F3 Limited , White pearl

Spyder Garage

Default the difference might be the older twin vs...

dont hold me to it, but i believe that the smaller twin was called for an earlier first service than the triple/1330--im sure i will be corrected if im wrong..

Quote Originally Posted by hrdware101 View Post
    According to the owner's manual, the first service should be performed at 3,000 miles, yet I am reading posts where people are saying that it should be at 600 miles. That's quite a difference. What is the advantage of having it done at 600 miles vs 3,000 miles?
    Also, do you HAVE to have the first service done by the dealer, for warranty purposes?
    I have always done my own maintenance on my Harley (which I traded in for a 2018 F3 LTD), and see no reason why I cannot do the same with the Spyder.
    What is your opinion?

Spyder Garage

Default Confusing....

The first service for the 1330 is 3,000 miles. Now you do see the 600 mile mark tossed about which is the first service for the 998 engines. Some are doing an oil change at 600 and the first service at 3,000. but I do recommend the first service be done by the dealer and then you can do your own and the manual tells you all the things needed besides the oil change which if done at 600 seems a waste as the oil changes are, after the first, 9,300 or a year. I don't have a triple so those that do can fill in the blank....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

First service for the 1330 three is around 3500 miles. Then--9300 miles later OR once a year.

The 600 mile service was for the 998 twin.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Gene is correct. I have personally discussed with a very attentive representative from BRP Care the large back eye that ignorant and/or unscrupulous Can Am dealerships give the brand when they recommend 600 mile first service to owners of ACE 1330 engine Spyders. I also agree with Gene about having a dealer do the first service and then shifting to the DIY mode if it's within one's capabilities. Live by the recommendations in YOUR operator's guide and you can't go wrong. FWIW, I document all DIY work with dated memoranda and coppies of receipts.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Default Re first service

Quote Originally Posted by hrdware101 View Post
    What is your opinion?
    Don't waste your money just follow the BRP recommended oil change intervals I would recommend using Amsoil full synthetic 10/40 or 20/50 up to you

Spyder Garage

I am a mech ,and do my own work .But i had the dealer do the first service ,as i do not want the the dealer telling me i missed something for warranty. .
    2018 RTL , dark blue

Spyder Garage

Being an old fart, I could not go with the 3000 mi. on my F3 for the first service.
    Did an oil change at 1200 and then 4000 mi. thereafter.
    Don't claim to know more or better than the engineers but can't get my head around service intervals as far apart as called for.
    And, since it's my Spyder and my money so I can do what I want regarding service intervals..

2017 F3, SM6-basic black, plain and simple

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Before I bought my F3s I investigated the dealer I was not only going to purchase from but have it serviced at.
    I looked up their Google review, Dept of Consumer Affairs complaints and friends I knew frequented their business.
    I also went to other Can-Am dealers and checked them out as well as how competitive their pricing was.
    After my purchase I decided for the first time that my dealer was going to do 100% of my servicing.
    I do this with the confidence that he (my tech) will not rip me off, do a good job and is even tipped.
    I could not be happier.
    I suggest you do an investigation of your dealer like I did and if they fare well then trust them.