Spyder Garage

Default Opinions on new Spyders RT and F3 Limited

I have been a Spyder owner for over three years, a 2013 RT-S SE5, and this is my first post. I love riding my Spyder. The bike was purchased used in 2015 with ~ 4,400 miles. In my first season, I did notice the very warm side panels on the bike. The service recall corrected the issue and the Spyder has been trouble free. I have put over 14,000 miles on the Spyder and feel great every time I'm out riding. With the discounted pricing available with 2018 models, I have a couple of questions for those who have moved on to an RT with the 1330 engine as well as the F3.
    Question 1) If you owned an RT with the 998 V twin and purchased a later RT with the 1330 triple, what are the significant pluses and minus you experienced with one versus the other?
    Question 2) If you owned an RT and switched to an F3 (preferably Limited), what are the significant pluses and minus you experienced with one versus the other?
    Next week I drop off the Spyder for its annual service and maintenance checkup. I'm going to take the time and look at the new spyders (Limited models). Having information from experienced Spyder owners will help.
    Thank you, William
    2018 RT Ltd , Asphalt Grey - Dark

Spyder Garage

Question 1: My first spyder was a 2012 RTS which was bought in the spring of 2013. I traded the 2012 RTS in on a 2015 RTS. I reason I traded up was the bigger engine 1330 over the 998 twin and the 6 speed trans. They also stated that the 2015 had less maintance cost over the V-twin. Plus in 2015 they came out with the intense red pearl paint which has always been a color I liked over all the others.

Question 2: I traded my 2015 RTS for a 2017 F3L in April of this year. The reason I traded the 2015 RTS in was I've always felt cramped on both the 2012 and 2015 RTS's. I have long legs, inseam of 34 inches I just thought that the U-fit system on the F3's would be better suited for me. I now have the U-fit system at position 5 and no long feel cramped riding. The only 2 negatives of the F3L has a little less storage capacity over the Rt's and I do miss the adjustable windshield. Other than that almost everything else is the same.

2017 F3 Limited in Intense Red Pearl

2008 Triumph Rocket (SOLD)

2002 Honda VTX 1800 C ( SOLD)

2014 Triumph Thunderbird Commander

Spyder Garage

I never had a 998 but have ridden some. I had a 15 RTS. The 1330 runs at much lower rpm and has more power and 6 speed trans. Smoother engine for sure. I liked it for it's touring smooth ride and large storage. But I sold it and got the 2018 F3L. Night and day difference. I was never comfortable on the RTS even with a Russell seat and tri-axe bars. I felt cramped and the way the floorboards tilt downward I felt like I was always falling forward. Had to always push myself back. The cruiser position on the F3L is awesome. I can spread out more. I feel more relaxed. I like sitting low in the seat and the handling is way better. The cons are less storage and no power windshield, but there are many choices for shields out there. Also with spyder pops trunk extender there is plenty of room for the passenger. I would take a long ride on both. Every person is different.
    2018 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Spyder Garage

Default 2 Spyder family

I never owned the 998 engine Spyder but do currently own 2 1330 engine Spyders - neither the newer models.

When I was looking for my initial Spyder I test rode the RTS at my local dealer for a few miles and liked it a lot. I also sat on the F3 in the showroom but never went for a test drive. I found a 2016 F3L at a good price w/500 miles so I purchased it - and have thoroughly enjoyed it.

This year I decided to purchase a 2nd Spyder so my daughter could ride with me and I went with a 2014 RTS - thinking it would work well especially with the extra storage. Unfortunately she doesn't like it and much prefers the sportier and more nimble (IMO) F3L so I will probably look to get a used F3 in the spring of 2019. My main complaint about the RTS is the hard steering from when parking or maneuvering in tight spots like my drive way - it is terrible at best.
    Love my Spyders
    2016 F3L Steel Black purchased 7/16/2016 Sold 3/11/2023 (22,500 mi)

2014 RTS Circuit Yellow purchased 3/2/2018

2020 RTL Petrol Blue purchased 1/27/2023

Girls on Spyders #3195

No more 2 wheels
    2020 RTL , Lamonster floor board riser Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by al0vely View Post
    I never owned the 998 engine Spyder but do currently own 2 1330 engine Spyders - neither the newer models.

When I was looking for my initial Spyder I test rode the RTS at my local dealer for a few miles and liked it a lot. I also sat on the F3 in the showroom but never went for a test drive. I found a 2016 F3L at a good price w/500 miles so I purchased it - and have thoroughly enjoyed it.

This year I decided to purchase a 2nd Spyder so my daughter could ride with me and I went with a 2014 RTS - thinking it would work well especially with the extra storage. Unfortunately she doesn't like it and much prefers the sportier and more nimble (IMO) F3L so I will probably look to get a used F3 in the spring of 2019. My main complaint about the RTS is the hard steering from when parking or maneuvering in tight spots like my drive way - it is terrible at best.
    I agree the steering on my 15 RTS was hard to turn in parking lots or at stand still. Had to start moving first. The 2018 RT has the new power steering like the F3 models have. So they are easier to steer.

Very Active Member sealfloorboards's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I understand those who feel cramped on the RT. That's why I designed the Seal Floorboard. I needed to stretch out more and be able to flex my knees and hips. I have RT floorboards that will fit all RT models, including those with BRP floorboards. Contact me directly and I will drop the $45. shipping charge.
    Ride in comfort,
    John

Spyder Garage

Default Passenger room and comfort

Quote Originally Posted by JP58 View Post
    I never had a 998 but have ridden some. I had a 15 RTS. The 1330 runs at much lower rpm and has more power and 6 speed trans. Smoother engine for sure. I liked it for it's touring smooth ride and large storage. But I sold it and got the 2018 F3L. Night and day difference. I was never comfortable on the RTS even with a Russell seat and tri-axe bars. I felt cramped and the way the floorboards tilt downward I felt like I was always falling forward. Had to always push myself back. The cruiser position on the F3L is awesome. I can spread out more. I feel more relaxed. I like sitting low in the seat and the handling is way better. The cons are less storage and no power windshield, but there are many choices for shields out there. Also with spyder pops trunk extender there is plenty of room for the passenger. I would take a long ride on both. Every person is different.
    Does the passenger have as much room and comfort with the 2018 F3 as compared to 2015 RTS?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

One you've ridden a Triple: it'll all become clear to you.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Demo Ride - Purchase

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    One you've ridden a Triple: it'll all become clear to you.
    Took a 2018 out for a demo ride. You are correct. I was really surprised (shocked is more like it) at the difference between the Triple and V-twin. The engine operation and shifting was much smoother; a lot less vibration and transmission clunking. Signed a sales order yesterday for a 2018 RT LTD, Ashphalt Gray Dark. Should pick-it-up in about a week. I enjoyed three seasons of riding the 2013 RTS, but the difference in the two RT's was unmistakable.
    I did sit in a F3 LTD and felt very comfortable. The problem was the passenger seat; it is smaller. I did not want to put my wife on a smaller seat. She was comfortable on the 2013 RT and will be equally (or more so) on the 2018.
    A huge Thank You to Pat, Sales Advisor, at Leaders RPM for taking the entire afternoon yesterday to work with me. He displayed the knowledge and patience that I needed with this purchase/trade. Also, a Thank You Lance and the service team at Leaders for the way they took care of the 2013 RT. The 2013 RT was trouble free and never let me down (and one hell-of-a lot of fun!).

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default New Spyder

on the new Spyder.
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Default Congrats on the new!

Out with the old and in with the new.

Love my Spyders
    2016 F3L Steel Black purchased 7/16/2016 Sold 3/11/2023 (22,500 mi)

2014 RTS Circuit Yellow purchased 3/2/2018

2020 RTL Petrol Blue purchased 1/27/2023

Girls on Spyders #3195

No more 2 wheels
    2020 RTL , Lamonster floor board riser Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Default Picked up New Spyder RT Ltd

Quote Originally Posted by al0vely View Post
    Out with the old and in with the new.

Took delivery of a new 2018 RT Ltd last Friday. The MI cold could not stop me; I put 197 miles on new trike. I wish it was spring and the start of a new riding season. But then again, at my age you do not wish time by. I have been able to get the BRP Connect to work. It's neat, but you have to remind yourself to keep your eyes up.IMG_20181102_151712998[1].jpgIMG_20181102_151750951[1].jpgIMG_20181102_151657203[1].jpg

Spyder Garage

Here, we have one of each. Both just passed 30,000 miles and both were purchased new.

I have had four 998's and one 1330.

I prefer the 1330. Lower torque--its happy spot is 3500 rpm as opposed to 5500. Quieter. About 10 mpg more than the 998. Less maintenance, and NO valve jobs required.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ColomaSpyder View Post
    Does the passenger have as much room and comfort with the 2018 F3 as compared to 2015 RTS?
    The trunk extender is close to 4 inches back. My wife has more room between my backrest and her. On the RT my backrest was just touching her so I had to cramp myself and adjust forward. The F3L she has more than an inch space and I have the backrest where I like it.