Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default pulling a tow behind trailer

when towing my trailer i was wondering what the best cruising speed i should use when i 4th gear & 5th gear. my
    trailer with load is around 400lbs.

Spyder Garage

The speed isn't really an issue unless you get busted for speeding. Keep in mind that you need a fair bit more stopping room and on downhill turns it will push a bit.

Spyder Garage

Default Rpm seems to be the guahe

I tend to see best fuel mileage around the 3000 rpm range. Not always an option, but when we can I keep it around there.
    2022 RT Limited Dark Hyper Silver
    2014 RT-S Pearl White
    2010 BRP 622 Trailer Pearl White

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN View Post
    when towing my trailer i was wondering what the best cruising speed i should use when i 4th gear & 5th gear. my
    Is that a 2013? Which transmission?

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

yes i have a 2013 rt-s so the 3k rpm is not right for me

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

What other kind of trailer is there, besides a pull-behind? A push in front of?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Default pulling a tow behind trailer

I am so much happier pulling my Time out Trailer with my Gold Wing than with my 2014 RS-M. Starting from a complete stop is so much easier, no slipping the clutch to get going and as long as I stay around 60mph my gas milage stays @ ~ 36 mpg. Looking forward to extensive traveling in 2019 when retired.

Al in Kazoo
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

when towing my trailer i was wondering what the best cruising speed i should use when i 4th gear & 5th gear. my trailer with load is around 400lbs.
    In NYC ? Are you yanking our chain?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    What other kind of trailer is there, besides a pull-behind? A push in front of?
    a trailer that you load the bike into

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    In NYC ? Are you yanking our chain?
    i use my trailer on sunday mornings when heading out to the island. no way in hell could i go to manhattan with it.
    at 5:30am i cruise.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

With the 2013 RT I had maintaining speed was the controlling factor. I rode many miles in 4th at 70 mph because of wind & up hills and it wouldn't hold speed in 5th. My trailer was in the 400+ lbs range. I pretty much always dropped it into 4th while passing semis. I usually set my cruising speed by the signs along the side of the road! From speed limit to +5.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    With the 2013 RT I had maintaining speed was the controlling factor. I rode many miles in 4th at 70 mph because of wind & up hills and it wouldn't hold speed in 5th. My trailer was in the 400+ lbs range. I pretty much always dropped it into 4th while passing semis. I usually set my cruising speed by the signs along the side of the road! From speed limit to +5.
    thanks, that pretty much tells me what i wanted to know & THIS IS WHAT THE FORUM IS FOR.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

thanks, that pretty much tells me what i wanted to know & THIS IS WHAT THE FORUM IS FOR.
    My comment does disregard the impact on mpg. The heavier the trailer, the greater it's side to the wind, the faster you cruise, the lower the elevation where you're riding, the lower your mpg. My best mpg ever was w/ no trailer going over the Rockies!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)