Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Introvert or Extrovert - which are you?

Might explain a lot of the miscommunication going on these days ...?

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine...?utm_source=eb

Personally, I'm very much an introvert. Overbearing extroverts and bullies I tolerate only just so much before blowing up.
    Last edited by UtahPete; 10-14-2018 at 10:57 AM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Also introvert but I don't think introvert/extrovert has anything to do with being overbearing or a bully.
    2017 RTS , Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default I must be an introvert also....

But, if Jonathan is an introvert he's sure full of himself.

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post

Personally, I'm very much an introvert. Overbearing extroverts and bullies I tolerate only just so much before blowing up.

Pete------ please don't blow up.

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Introvert. Now leave me alone.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 10-14-2018 at 01:27 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Git off mah lawn!
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

I don't want the world to know so I can't answer the question. Meanwhile, let me just sit here in peace and quiet.
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Good read, Pete.
    Also enjoyed the article it highlighted at the bottom - pc culture - food for thought.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm neither: I'm just friendly, and full of questionable humor!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I'm neither: I'm just friendly, and full of questionable humor!
    I'd say this avatar is introverted, but others have been just off-the-charts extroverts as I recall
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Is this one of those Trolling threads Firefly was talking about ??????? I'm still on the lookout for those little buggers..........

#trollpolice

Spyder Garage

Life can be a lot more simple when you place labels ................however there is a draw back for doing such. Communication is where the breakdown occurs through labeling ideas and attaching them to people. Hence, People stop listening to opposing views, even though they may have so much else in common. I am sometimes an introvert, and sometimes an extrovert. And also too many more labels to list. So I disagree with much of what the article implies.

More to say....but ran out of time. Will revisit to see what others have to say.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TicketBait View Post
    Life can be a lot more simple when you place labels ................however there is a draw back for doing such. Communication is where the breakdown occurs through labeling ideas and attaching them to people. Hence, People stop listening to opposing views, even though they may have so much else in common. I am sometimes an introvert, and sometimes an extrovert. And also too many more labels to list. So I disagree with much of what the article implies. More to say....but ran out of time. Will revisit to see what others have to say.
    I think of labeling as what some people do to others in order to denigrate them (e.g. redneck, liberal, religious fanatic, heathen, un-American, etc). I don't think of identifying oneself as a certain type of personality trait as 'labeling' but rather as a way of better understanding ourselves and others.

But, I accept that some folks find that offensive or counter-productive or whatever.
    Last edited by UtahPete; 10-14-2018 at 11:24 PM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

I think of labeling as what some people do to others in order to denigrate them (e.g. redneck, liberal, religious fanatic, heathen, un-American, etc). I don't think of identifying oneself as a certain type of personality trait as 'labeling' but rather as a way of better understanding ourselves and others.

But, I accept that some folks find that offensive or counter-productive or whatever.
    So, if I call you Dr. Freud, am I denigrating you? Or, am I saying you always seem to have an opposing view to get into a discussion to keep it going? I don't think either question is denigrating you. Or, they are not questions, but statements, and I am denigrating you.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    So, if I call you Dr. Freud, am I denigrating you? Or, am I saying you always seem to have an opposing view to get into a discussion to keep it going? I don't think either question is denigrating you. Or, they are not questions, but statements, and I am denigrating you.
    I'm not sure how to respond. I think if you were to draw simplistic conclusions about me from my introverted orientation, that would be labeling and denigrating.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Okay, so here's my theory as it relates to behavior on the off-topic forum.

I think a lot of participants who get caught up in heated arguments are introverts who would not engage in the same way if it were to take place in a social setting. They either would not be in that social setting in the first place, or would keep their thoughts to themselves rather than engage in verbal combat with the extroverts. But the distance, both virtual and actual, created by the online forum, provides the opportunity for introverts to engage, disengage and reflect as they wish. There is no immediacy or social pressure as there would be at a real gathering.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

I'm not sure how to respond. I think if you were to draw simplistic conclusions about me from my introverted orientation, that would be labeling and denigrating.

I'm not talking about the introvert/extrovert label that you may have placed on yourself due to self-denigration. I'm talking about reading your posts here and how you seem to react.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    Okay, well this is getting a little off-topic, but maybe not...

I think I impulsively question the accepted conservative viewpoint. I'm very much a contrarian and skeptic. It served me well as a management consultant but in most social situations it does not, probably because I am an introvert.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You're not a "contrarian"; you're just a miserable old S.O.B.!

But I say it with pure love in my heart!

Very Active Member Fatcycledaddy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I don't think an introvert would have started this thread, much less have 4,251 post in 34 months, or almost 95 post per month.
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Fatcycledaddy View Post
    I don't think an introvert would have started this thread, much less have 4,251 post in 34 months, or almost 95 post per month.
    Then I think you misunderstand about introverts. Please read the article again, as well as my post this morning.

Introverts aren't necessarily unsocial or uncommunicative.
    Last edited by UtahPete; 10-15-2018 at 12:51 PM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Then I think you misunderstand about introverts. Please read the article again, as well as my post this morning.

Introverts aren't necessarily unsocial or uncommunicative.
    I read the article, I agree with your statement, but most do not go out of their way to be social and communicative.

You thrive on posting, getting people to, as you call it, have stimulating conversations, I call it arguing.
    You let everyone know your opinion on every topic that comes up, whether they want it or not.
    I am not saying all of that it bad, but I don't see that as the dominate characteristics of an introvert.

As stated below.

Introverts and conflict

by Michaela | 9 comments

It’s no secret that introverts dislike conflict. We would rather stay silent than rock the boat. We tend to favor avoidance over confrontation. If the choice is between fight or flight, we usually choose the latter. Some of us will even go hungry trying to dodge a potential clash (I’ve dropped entire dress sizes while avoiding angry roommates).

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

There's this thing out there (and it's NOT on the internet); called "Tact".
    Used it properly: you can tell somebody to go to Hell, and actually have them looking forward to the trip!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    There's this thing out there (and it's NOT on the internet); called "Tact".
    Used it properly: you can tell somebody to go to Hell, and actually have them looking forward to the trip!
    I am still working on that, being tactful I mean!!
    Last edited by Fatcycledaddy; 10-15-2018 at 03:04 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Fatcycledaddy View Post
    You thrive on posting, getting people to, as you call it, have stimulating conversations, I call it arguing. You let everyone know your opinion on every topic that comes up, whether they want it or not. I am not saying all of that it bad, but I don't see that as the dominate characteristics of an introvert.
    And you are being judgmental, I think. You don't know me at all but you're ready to draw conclusions about me based on my activity on this forum. Introvert is only part of who I am. Another part is someone who learned long ago that I need to speak up and be counted if I want to get anywhere in life.

So, although my preference is to avoid open conflict in social situations, and I avoid social situations where conflict is likely or inevitable (thankfully I don't have to go to work in an office anymore), that doesn't mean I am unwilling to exchange ideas in a meaningful debate.
    2014 RTL Platinum