Thread: 2015 st 998

Spyder Garage

Default 2015 st 998

I like running in the tow mode with out towing bike downshifts quicker and I don't have to.It is a se 5 any opinions?

Spyder Garage

Default As I see it....

You can downshift yourself if you want to do it before the autoshift does it for you. Being an se you have no clutch to mess with. If you do like shifting at all the ryker does not have any shifting. There may be other things involved in running tow mode....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I believe Tow mode also changes the braking parameters & front/rear balance... but it shouldn't really be a significant issue if you leave it in tow mode; even if do you let the 'fail-safe downshift to protect the driveline from operator errors' make the changes instead of initiating them yourself; all it's really doing is making sure that the shifts aren't going to put too much torque thru the centrifugal clutch before it's fully engaged, & it's going to do that regardless of who initiates the changes, you or the fail-safe limits built into the computer!

But it is worth remembering that the SE gearboxes are NOT autos!! The SE's are all manual boxes that're basically identical to the SM's except for the addition of Operator initiated computer controlled electronic shifting & a Centrifugal clutch (for the SE5's anyway, it's Electro-hydraulic for the SE6's where it works on oil pressure rather than rotational speed) and some extra 'save them from missing necessary downshift' features.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-13-2018 at 02:19 AM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!