Spyder Garage

Default Tire report offered and needed

I spent last winter researching an automotive rear tire for my 2017 F-3L. I settled on a General Altimax, pumped it to 18 psi cold, and rode it two up all summer, mostly in dry weather. The tire worked great. After 6,000 miles, it shows very little wear and has performed perfectly.

Now, with 16,000 total miles on the bike, l’m looking for front tire recommendations. I would like to hear from you if you’ve run car tires on the front for a season. I’d like to know what you bought, what psi you use, and how the bike handles. Does it steer well? Does it hold the road on curves? Does it shed water or hydroplane?

I would appreciate hearing from the voice of experience.

Spyder Garage

Default Front car tires

2016 RTL- I am running Yokohama Avids S34FA on the front 2 wheels. (175/55/15) 18 PSI
    They stick like glue, are great in rain and wet roads. Stick to road going around curves. Brake clean and straight. Right now I have probably 5,000 to 6,000 miles on them and they look almost new. I expect I won't get as many miles on them as I did on my Kenda's because the Yokohama tire is a softer rubber.

My first set of post OEM Kenda's were Federal Formoza. The tires were not sticky but did brake clean and straight. I had an issue with them pushing me sideways on the wet roads. After about 1,000 miles I took them off and installed the Yokohama Avids. In my opinion I do not want to risk my life for just an okay tire. My tires have to do what I want them to do and still be the kind of tire I need them to be.

I am running a Yokohama S Drive on my front tire with the same kind of performance as I get from the Yokohama Avids.

If I decide to try another tire it will be the Vredestein tires.
    2016 RTL , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Default Re front tires

Quote Originally Posted by Jambo Creek View Post
    I spent last winter researching an automotive rear tire for my 2017 F-3L. I settled on a General Altimax, pumped it to 18 psi cold, and rode it two up all summer, mostly in dry weather. The tire worked great. After 6,000 miles, it shows very little wear and has performed perfectly.

Now, with 16,000 total miles on the bike, l’m looking for front tire recommendations. I would like to hear from you if you’ve run car tires on the front for a season. I’d like to know what you bought, what psi you use, and how the bike handles. Does it steer well? Does it hold the road on curves? Does it shed water or hydroplane?

2014 RTS Continental Procontact 175/55/15 overall great in every aspect over 23000 miles so far tread depth at 8/32 running 16lbs stick like glue in corners hope this helps

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Federals. Two seasons now on them and still are like new

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

2016 F3 Limited. Federal Formoza on the front in stock size, much smother and better handling than stock 20 psi. 14,000 on the rear General Altimax at 22 psi.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Vredestein all around. Only 70 miles, dry road. The ride is awesome! Like riding on a cloud, very cushioned. Easier steering, excellent braking. Running 22 lbs in all three. Will experiment on that. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Spyder Garage

laugh if you want but 2 years ago i bought 2 weatherguard 175/65/14 winter tires from walmart and they installed them on the front of my 2010 rts .Not sorry that i put them on now have 28000 klms 0n yhem ,no wear showing and steering is much improved, wind doesnt bother as much on road .got them as a spring sale ,tires installed and balanced for under $100.00

Spyder Garage

..... that’s me laughing, Gordy
    Seriously though, this just goes to prove that there is no “right” tyre for everyone. The suggestions on here are great as they give you a selection and an idea of performance, but we all need to find our own solution for our personal needs, including the much maligned Kendas. There are so many factors involved here like road surfaces, cambers, riding styles, weather etc etc etc, that the perfect tire for one rider may not work for another simply because of where they live. Unfortunately, that may mean writing off a fairly new tyre that you thought would work for you, but since it’s possibly your life you are risking, I believe that’s a small price to pay.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Gordy View Post
    laugh if you want but 2 years ago i bought 2 weatherguard 175/65/14 winter tires from walmart and they installed them on the front of my 2010 rts .Not sorry that i put them on now have 28000 klms 0n yhem ,no wear showing and steering is much improved, wind doesnt bother as much on road .got them as a spring sale ,tires installed and balanced for under $100.00
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

I am running the Federal Formoza on my 17 F3T and with 40,000 miles on them they are still great. They handle perfectly in the rain, and I’ve been riding in some real frog floaters lately. They have a better wet traction rating than the Yokohama too. I also ran them on my 14 RT and liked them as well on that model.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tango View Post
    Vredestein all around. Only 70 miles, dry road. The ride is awesome! Like riding on a cloud, very cushioned. Easier steering, excellent braking. Running 22 lbs in all three. Will experiment on that. Tom
    I am sorry but 70 miles isn’t enough to give a review. That’s not even half a tank of gas or an hour of riding.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Federal Formoza & General Altimax.....

Formoza's with 8k+ and Altamax with 7k+ all with 18 psi cold and no issues so far.

Spyder Garage

Federal Formozas for me. Don't know about them in the rain as I haven't been in rain. (Live in AZ) They have 12K on them and I can't tell any wear. They look new to me. Keep them at 18PSI. Traction is like riding on rails.....
    Last edited by canamjhb; 10-11-2018 at 09:46 PM.
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    ..... that’s me laughing, Gordy
    Seriously though, this just goes to prove that there is no “right” tyre for everyone. The suggestions on here are great as they give you a selection and an idea of performance, but we all need to find our own solution for our personal needs, including the much maligned Kendas. There are so many factors involved here like road surfaces, cambers, riding styles, weather etc etc etc, that the perfect tire for one rider may not work for another simply because of where they live. Unfortunately, that may mean writing off a fairly new tyre that you thought would work for you, but since it’s possibly your life you are risking, I believe that’s a small price to pay.

Pete
    by the way i run a general altimax on the back this is my second one, run 24 lbs .No one seems to be able to balance our rear tires so I built my own balancer but the general only needs maybe about 1/2 an ounce

Girard OH (summer) Greenville SC (winter)
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jambo Creek View Post

What size Altimax? I can't find an Altimax 225/50R15 or Vredestein tires in the stock rear size on tire rack.
    Last edited by Rattlebars; 10-13-2018 at 03:44 PM.
    to see my 2016 F3-T and many how to's
    2016 F3-T SE6 Roadster , Extended brake pedal for which I drilled out the brake rod yolk to lower it and added spacers to lift it slightly Black/Grey

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rattlebars View Post
    What size Altimax? I can't find an Altimax 225/50R15 or Vredestein tires in the stock rear size on tire rack.
    215/60/15 General Altimax RT-43

Spyder Garage

Default Like Peteoz says - everyone rides different

"There are so many factors involved here like road surfaces, cambers, riding styles, weather etc etc etc, that the perfect tire for one rider may not work for another simply because of where they live."

The fronts seem to be getting better on the OEM Kendas, so no worries for us until we get the wear out of them at about 30,000 miles plus.

Since then we have had 3 sets of Kumho Solus KH16s in the 155/60R15 size and have been very pleased with the handling, roll and grip in dry and wet conditions. We run them at 17 psi on the F3T and 19 psi on the RT making sure to keep them equal side to side.

However on our last trip I hit a rock and blew the sidewall on the right Kumho and couldn't get a Kumho at the Show Low AZ Discount tire shop (nearest supply was either Nevada or Dallas TX). I do feel that the heavier sidewal and carcass of the Kumho prevented damage to the wheel and allowed me to roll about two miles to a wide spot where I could pull over safely.

The Discount tire shop had a set of Nankang AS-1 tires in the same 155/60R15 size at $61 a piece so I now have run them about 1000 miles with good roll and balance, but am not as pleased with their grip. They seemed to drift a little too much on the curves. I may need to to play with the pressures as I still have them at about 20 psi. But they were a godsend when you're stranded on the road.

I guess that I'm open to most suggestions on a front car tire replacement but will be looking also at what Walmart might carry so that I can secure a replacement if needed while on the road..BlownKumhoafterRock.jpg
    Last edited by AeroPilot; 10-14-2018 at 09:32 AM. Reason: add pic
    07 Shadows, Aero, Spirit gone but not forgotten
    03 Harley Sportster, 07 RK moved on
    11 RT- 76,000 mi, 15 RT-S- 44,000 mi, traded for current 15 base RT and 16 F3T
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss

Spyder Garage

For the front, I'll also give another vote for the Federal Formoza. Stock sizing is a nice bonus, since you don't have to wonder whether it'll fit your fender or not.

This is my fourth set of front tires over 2 different models with a collective about 75k miles and they're the best I've found so far.
    Thanks to Ann and Joe for the recommendation.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    I am sorry but 70 miles isn’t enough to give a review. That’s not even half a tank of gas or an hour of riding.
    No need to get snarly. My post said it was only 70 miles. Hour and a half of riding back roads. Our speed limits are no where near yours. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gordy View Post
    by the way i run a general altimax on the back this is my second one, run 24 lbs .No one seems to be able to balance our rear tires so I built my own balancer but the general only needs maybe about 1/2 an ounce
    Really I have the same tire General Altimax I run 18lbs 24000miles at 4/32 also use a centramatic wheel balancer runs perfect

Spyder Garage

Another vote for Continental Contiprocontac 175/55/15 size. Running 15lbs and has transformed the Spyder to a much better handling machine than stock, both wet and dry weather. 10,000 miles and still look like new.
    2016 F3L , Big Bike Parts Black