Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    72
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default Rattle in my 2010 RT Spyder exhaust

    Hi All", I have a rattle noise inside my standard muffler 2010 RT Spyder and I look at it in aboput 30 minutes, however any ideas or similar experiences would be much appreciated,

    regards Peter

  2. #2
    RT-S PE#0060 Gordy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    neepawa manitoba ca
    Posts
    632
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    check all your clamps, found one loose on mine .could be baffles coming loose in muffler for $1100.00 i could listen to a little rattle

  3. #3
    Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Chardon, OH
    Posts
    546
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Hey Peter. Happened on my OEM muffler, too. Internal noise from a baffle or whatever is in there. Ended up finding a great price on an Akrapovic on eBay so I got it.


    Doug

    2012 Spyder RT LTD Lava Bronze, RT 622

    Original Owner

    Seal Pups, F4 Customs SWCV, Corbin, JT's Air Filter, Cat Bypass, Power Commander V, NBV, SpyderFlap, Rivco Dual Flag Holder, Lidlox, Baja Ron Sway Bar, links, plugs and wires, Adjustable Chrome Side Vents, Spyderpops Block Off Plate and Belt Guard, Bump Skid, Canisterectomy, Akrapovic, TricLed HL/FL, Spyder Cuff with X-Grip, S-Drive, Rock Armour, P238, Laser Alignment by Gray Ghost, Windshield Arm by Noboot, Vibration Dampener by Doc.

  4. #4
    Very Active Member Chupaca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    San Diego, CA.
    Posts
    29,464
    Spyder Garage
    1

    Default Tough one....

    Don't know if you can get in there to find the problem. Many live with it till it totally goes many just replace them. Should be some around from all those folks that change to aftermarket pipes. Ebay has some cheap ones but don't know about shipping up to you. I sent mine to your area for $130.00 US shipping ....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

    ​2012 RS sm5

  5. #5
    Very Active Member KX5062's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Central Coast, CA
    Posts
    852
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    I'd check all of the bolts and clamps first. On a 2010 model they can come loose due to age. However, it's not uncommon for the internal welds to break loose on mufflers, especially since the underneath muffler is also a catalytic converter which makes it soak up way more heat than a standard muffler. If that's it, then it doesn't hurt anything, but it sure can be annoying.
    2014 RT SE6

    Previously 2008 GS SM5



  6. #6
    RT-S PE#0412 TicketBait's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Santa Monica, CA. USA
    Posts
    2,069
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    I know The answer to your question if it sounds like pennies rattling in a tin can. If so I will answer this tomorrow as it is very late right now.

  7. #7
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    72
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    Don't know if you can get in there to find the problem. Many live with it till it totally goes many just replace them. Should be some around from all those folks that change to aftermarket pipes. Ebay has some cheap ones but don't know about shipping up to you. I sent mine to your area for $130.00 US shipping ....
    Thanks mate I think i get it replaced,

    regards Peter

  8. #8
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    72
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TicketBait View Post
    I know The answer to your question if it sounds like pennies rattling in a tin can. If so I will answer this tomorrow as it is very late right now.
    Hi mate", yeah it sounds like pennies rattling so it's time to replace the muffler,

    regards Peter

  9. #9
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    72
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KX5062 View Post
    I'd check all of the bolts and clamps first. On a 2010 model they can come loose due to age. However, it's not uncommon for the internal welds to break loose on mufflers, especially since the underneath muffler is also a catalytic converter which makes it soak up way more heat than a standard muffler. If that's it, then it doesn't hurt anything, but it sure can be annoying.
    Hi mate yeah its time to replace the muffler

    regards Peter

  10. #10
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    72
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    Don't know if you can get in there to find the problem. Many live with it till it totally goes many just replace them. Should be some around from all those folks that change to aftermarket pipes. Ebay has some cheap ones but don't know about shipping up to you. I sent mine to your area for $130.00 US shipping ....
    hi mate", yeah I think it's time to replace the muffler,

    regards Peter

  11. #11
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    72
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gordy View Post
    check all your clamps, found one loose on mine .could be baffles coming loose in muffler for $1100.00 i could listen to a little rattle
    Hi mate yeah I think it's time to replace the muffler,

    regards Peter

  12. #12
    RT-S PE#0412 TicketBait's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Santa Monica, CA. USA
    Posts
    2,069
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TicketBait View Post
    I know The answer to your question if it sounds like pennies rattling in a tin can. If so I will answer this tomorrow as it is very late right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by peterRT View Post
    Hi All", I have a rattle noise inside my standard muffler 2010 RT Spyder and I look at it in aboput 30 minutes, however any ideas or similar experiences would be much appreciated,

    regards Peter
    Ok, so it turned out to be a blown baffle on my 2010 RT

    I wanted to stay with the stock muffler
    as I had the chrome pieces I had paid
    an arm and a leg for. So I checked
    various dealerships to see if they had
    a used one where someone else had
    upgraded to a different muffler. And
    who came through was PitBull
    Powersports.( received for free)
    Cuz he likes me. And also Len
    brought the muffler with him in 2014
    to the Colorado Owners event, where
    I picked it up and had installed when
    I got back to California.

    fullsizeoutput_7c4.jpg

    fullsizeoutput_7b7.jpg

    fullsizeoutput_7bf.jpg

    hope this helps and let us know what you end up doing.

  13. #13
    Very Active Member safecracker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Stetson, Maine
    Posts
    724
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    My stock muffler has rattled for the past 20,000 miles. I just ignore it. 62,000 miles and going strong. Bruce
    RTS 2011 SM5


  14. #14
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    72
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default Rattle in my muffler

    Hi Mate", this is what I ended up getting done. I got a Walker stainless steel muffler fitted and it sounds better than before, but not to loud. I got cat delete done too. Sorry about the late reply,

    Regards Peter
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by peterRT; 11-12-2018 at 04:45 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •