Spyder Garage

Default Rear Wheel vibration

I purchased a used 2012 RTS with 2400 miles. I raised the rear wheel to check/adjust the belt tension. There is vibration and what appears to be a bad bearing in the rear wheel. I pulled the wheel and checked the bearings. All seems OK. Don't detect any rough bearing issues while checking the bearings. The wheel was reassembled with proper torque settings. The belt tension was set to 160 Lbs and belt tracking is good. Still have vibration and wheel rotation is not smooth. I pulled the front pulley and the splines in the pulley and trans main shaft are good. Rotating the main shaft felt normal. Any suggestion?

Spyder Garage

Hows your brake rotor? If a little warped it could be causing the vibration. The other thing could be an out of round wheel.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Default Little checking.....

along with other things to consider....tire seated properly, balance, defective tire and who knows what might be inside the tire....like balancing beads, slime of some sort etc. could also be the swingarm bushings/bearings. To bad you didn't run the wheel over to your local tire store and have them check it out....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Six-year-old bike ridden 400 miles a year and you probably have the OEM tires. That likely could be the problem. Some of the Kenda tires are bad to begin with and some go bad with use. You've eliminated bearings, belt and brakes.....? Time to look at the tire.....
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Default probably ....

could you possibly be feeling the drive belt vibration ? even at tension , there is some vibrations , the under side /or lower part of the belt is most likely giving the vibration sensation ... are you feeling it in the foot pegs more than else where on the cycle ? { a lot of folks getting the belt dampening gismo , a spring loaded roller , holds tension on the lower section of the drive belt }

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If it is a vibration noise you are hearing with the rear tire jacked up and turned by hand, it is normal. I dont know where the sound comes from, but mine and my dad's make a vibration noise turning it by hand. All good bearings. No vibration while riding. I would guess it has something to do with the belt.
    2021 Sea to Sky RT , Highland green

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Since you have the rear wheel off try putting the axle through the bearings and set the ends of the axle on 2 jack stands or something equivalent. Give it a spin. You will see quickly if there is a heavy spot (out of balance) or an out of round tire.
    Last edited by Highwayman2013; 10-22-2018 at 08:55 AM.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Default Rear Wheel vibration

Thanks for the responses. I will see if the tire is out of balance, easy enough to do.
    Let me add that while the wheel is rotating in first gear it acts like a stone might be in the belt but both pully and belt are ok.
    The wheel shutters but not all the time.

Spyder Garage

Default rear wheel vibration

Quote Originally Posted by aldo View Post
    Thanks for the responses. I will see if the tire is out of balance, easy enough to do.
    Let me add that while the wheel is rotating in first gear it acts like a stone might be in the belt but both pully and belt are ok.
    The wheel shutters but not all the time.
    With the wheel on stands it doesn't stop in the same spot. I marked the tire each spin and never the same spot.
    I reassembled the rear and dropped the belt tension to 150 lbs which seemed to have little effect. I have all the bearings but need to make trip to grandson house to get my bearing driver tools. Will end here for now. Thanks for all input.

Spyder Garage

Good Luck. Keep us posted.....
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi