Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bikerbillone View Post
    Egads, who among us is gonna fork out $40K for this machine? For the few who can and will, not worth the production for BRP.
    There is another post where they claim BRP said it was going to cost about $70K. I guess I was being very generous with my $40K guess.

SEE Post #20
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 10-10-2018 at 01:43 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Even the top of the line Zero E-motorcycle costs roughly $14k
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    There is another post where they claim BRP said it was going to cost about $70K. I guess I was being very generous with my $40K guess.

SEE Post #20
    None of those numbers mean anything: they're just guessing about what it might have cost to develop, and press releases are notoriously unreliable anyway...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DaveZinAz View Post
    They need to talk to Elon over at Tesla. You can buy 2 model 3's for that price! (maybe not 2 but still...)
    Try more like one new Model 3. Then again you can buy a lot of cars for cheaper than a loaded RT. I know I drive one. Lol
    You can't compare the prices for a Spyder to an automobile.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

But what kind of car get you get for 30K?
    At least when you buy a Spyder: you've bought the best!

Spyder Garage

From post #26:

SEE Post #20

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    None of those numbers mean anything: they're just guessing about what it might have cost to develop, and press releases are notoriously unreliable anyway...
    I respectfully disagree. The $70K figure came from BRP and look at the prices for electric cars that use the same technology.

Adding a $10K battery pack to the current technology--will easily bump the price of an RT through the $40K estimate.

If BRP were to use the Ryker platform--we might end up with a $20 - $25K package. I am not a buyer for that--or for an electric. My information was given with the intent to get people thinking in favor or not.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Back in 2012: I got to road-test one of the first ST models... (an ST-Limited...)
    The BRP rep told me that it was a $250,000 bike!
    The urge to flee on it was...….. very strong!

Spyder Garage

Back in 2012: I got to road-test one of the first ST models... (an ST-Limited...)
    The BRP rep told me that it was a $250,000 bike!
    The urge to flee on it was...….. very strong!
    Through the magic of "cost accounting" they were probably right on. They have to save those numbers for their R & D tax deductions. I don't know if the Canadians have to "capitalize" or if they can "expense" those numbers the same year.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DaveZinAz View Post
    They need to talk to Elon over at Tesla. You can buy 2 model 3's for that price! (maybe not 2 but still...)

Quote Originally Posted by Culpjp View Post
    Try more like one new Model 3...
    OK, like I said in the parentheses, "maybe not 2 but still..." , however, based on the 70K price mentioned elsewhere in this thread AND the as of yet unreleased standard battery Model 3 that has been touted as being in the 35K price range, I was somewhat close.

https://electrek.co/2018/08/14/tesla...module-design/
    Last edited by DaveZinAz; 10-11-2018 at 03:02 PM.
    2017 RT-S. F4 Customs Wind Shield.

Spyder Garage

Once they embed induction chargers in the roads everywhere, then I would be interested in an electric vehicle.... always charging even while moving and no stopping for fuel. Of course the quick stops will have to institute a "facilities" charge to make up for it...
    2017 Can Am Commander Limited
    2012 Cadillac CTS-V Black Diamond
    2020 F3 Limited Magma Red (miss the 2011 Viper red)
    2010 RT622 - Black

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I sort of disagree...
    This Country is just too large, and the electric grid itself isn't robust enough...
    When it takes four or five long days to traverse the Continent with our current gas-powered vehicles; how long will it take to manage the same trip using battery power?
    Your travel range is too short...
    Your recharge times are too long...

While electrically powered vehicles may prove to ultimately be the future: it's HOW the power is generated, that will be the breakthrough.
    But most traveling is less than 200 to 500 miles in a single trip. Even OTR trucks have mostly short trips. That's why Tesla is pursuing all electric OTR trucks. Supposedly UPS has several hundred pre-ordered.

You're dead on about the power generation bit. It would be better to generate the power and use it to separate water into hydrogen and oxygen and use fuel cells in vehicles. That way generation would not have to occur simultaneously with consumption.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default ?????

70k for an electric spyder when currently the price of a low millage used spyder is below 20k, and falling. Just how much gas do you think you can buy for 50k and how long would it last you and how far could you go. Most of us won't likely live that long. So what's the point, just wishful thinking I guess. Anyway, I'd hate to be stuck in late fall somewhere between "nowhere and where am I," in desperate need of a 110 outlet. The way I'd prefer to travel, for short trips anyway, is by using a personal jet pack.