Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Best ride E-V-E-R!

Having ascended Pikes Peak more times than I remember over the past 59 years, by car, rail, and on foot, I finally took the opportunity to travel the Pikes Peak Highway on my 2014 Spyder RT-S SE6 a couple of weeks ago. Without a doubt, this was the ride of my lifetime. I could not stress enough what a fantastic experience it was, and (in my humble opinion at least) the best way to travel to the summit. The sky was that intense blue, so characteristic of Colorado, and not a cloud in the sky. There was a very gentle breeze and the temperatures were mild at the base and at the summit. The Aspen trees had already changed to a brilliant yellow, providing a dramatic contrast to the deep green conifers. Plenty of switchbacks and hairpin curves kept things interesting. I soon found that I enjoyed manually operating the semi-automatic transmission in anticipation of changes in the road characteristics, especially when downshifting on the descent. It sounds cliche to say I felt "at one with the road", but that is the best way to describe my experience. The ride was thrilling, yet I felt very safe relying on my Spyder's three wheels and the technology that underlies it. Upon arriving at the summit house, I enjoyed one of their "world famous donuts", a cup of hot chocolate, and the view of America that inspired Katherine Lee Bate to pen the lyrics of "America The Beautiful" in 1895. It would be difficult to have a more positive experience on a motorcycle than that, but it was even more-so on my Spyder.

Spyder Garage

Great thread. Only complaint so far is not having enough hours in the day to ride. I need to retire. Also, need to wash the beast, but that’s on me not BRP.

I’ve lurked on this forum a long while before finally taking the plunge. I can’t plan on never having issues, but not gonna worry about it either.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Road-Kill View Post
    Some of you Guys with high mileage on them and with few problems
    Why not say "NO" problems.
    Why is that when people ride a lot they are expected to have problems.
    I had over 31,000 trouble free miles till I was towed.
    I haven't had any other problems since then...…….CUZ MY BIKE IS STILL IN THE FRIGGIN SHOP!

I'm not expecting another mechanical failure......CUZ I CANT RIDE A BIKE THATS BEING FRIGGIN REPAIRED
    Okay Road-kill: I'll bite because you are the only one bolstering a real complaint in this thread. Pray tell what is exactly wrong with your Spyder to create such discourse and how long has the dealer had your machine?

Rick H.

Spyder Garage

Default Great machine and great dealer in Wichita, Ks

I have had 2016 RTS couple years now, 13k miles, no problems whatsoever. Well, one minor one, the rear trunk was hard to latch. Took it to Marine World, Wichita, Kansas, where I purchased it new and they not only fixed the trunk but adjusted every lid on the machine. They have always given me great service and go out of their way to accommodate me. I have had both oil changes done there and had a new tire put on the rear.

Spyder Garage

I got that warm fuzzy feeling when I traded in my 2008 Spyder (purchased new) for a 2018 Jeep Wrangler, and was given $5000 trade in a few weeks back. How's that for positivity?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I bought my F3s new last year.
    So far I have 31,500 miles on it as I ride a lot.
    My front sprocket blew last year and had it replaced.
    A few days ago while on a ride it blew again requiring a tow.
    Currently my F3s sits at my dealer awaiting its return.
    Two epic failures in less then two years...………..yup, I'm an unhappy camper.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick H. View Post
    Okay Road-kill: I'll bite because you are the only one bolstering a real complaint in this thread. Pray tell what is exactly wrong with your Spyder to create such discourse and how long has the dealer had your machine?

Rick H.

Spyder Garage

I fully understand your unhappiness, but have they given your any reason for the two failures? Is it the sprockets themselves failing or the bolts holding them in place or?

Rick H.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

There are several threads associated with the notorious "sprocket failure".
    I could care less why the sprockets are failing.
    I just know that when they do fail you lose 100% of power in about 2 seconds.
    That makes it the equivalent of being sold MC tires that have a high incidence of going flat WHILE YOU ARE RIDING.
    So I'm not a happy camper because I bought an expensive machine sold as a "touring" bike and not a café racer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick H. View Post
    I fully understand your unhappiness, but have they given your any reason for the two failures? Is it the sprockets themselves failing or the bolts holding them in place or?

Rick H.

Spyder Garage

Wow, so the "positive comments" thread has quickly gone negative, lol. I currently own two Spyders and have owned a total of 3 over the last 4 plus years. All three bikes were or are great machines that perform well and deliver many, many enjoyable and carefree miles. Owning a Spyder has changed my wife's and my life for the better and we cant imagine not having them. Ok, maybe there have been a few issues but, we dealt with them, and in our case, BRP always supported their product. Therefore, as proud Spyder owners, we speak positively about BRP, the Can Am family, and our extended Spyder family to the constant interest that we receive while riding. I am very sorry that others have experienced problems and wish them well in seeking an acceptable remedy. However, I think the biggest threat to growing our Spyder community in the future is from the very vocal, and relentless, minority of owners who have had problems and not the majority of us who are out there having a blast! See you all on the open road!

Spyder Garage

I still have my 08 Premier Edition GS with 53,000, only replaced the DPS and an $12 oil sender.
    Also a 15 F3S with 34,000 miles.
    Neither have been to the dealer for anything, knock on wood.
    I feel positive but fortunate also.

Spyder Garage

We have a 2011 RT. Sold our 2003 honda goldwing and bought the spyder a few years ago and never looked back. We really have had only a couple of issues and that was the drive belt went bad at 41,000 miles and a fouled out spark plug. Other than regular maintenance we are really happy with the bike. If it blows up today I can say I got my money's worth out of it. Then go get another one to replace it. I thought they we the ugliest things on the road till I test drove one and just had to get an RT. There's a lemon in every basket of oranges at times, You just hope for the best when you buy something at times and deal with it when the time comes. Happy Trails To All.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default I do disagree

Both Motorcycle Consumer News and Consumer Reports both have Can-Am & Harley Davidson has dead last in reliability (year after year!). This was even a topic of discussion on a previous thread. Everything depends on how much you ride, your riding style and how your machine is maintained. Those who speak up about Spyder issues are not the "biggest threat".....we are the voice that gets Can-Am to address both the reliability issues and creature comforts we enjoy. Unlike you, I will let BRP know that they have two choices, either produce a quality product or lose me as a customer. My mechanic called me yesterday to let me know he has ordered another front sprocket and even has BRP tech on the phone as well. He wants to keep me as a customer and so should BRP. Also note that we are not a "minority" of owners, most owners both on this site as well as people I personally know (even from this site) have had "problems". I laugh when Spyder owners say they "never" had a problem yet after a few minutes of conversation they say they were once towed, coolant leaks, sensor issues, sprocket failures etc. Funny how that always comes out the mouths of those who say they "never" had any problem. As previously stated, 31,500 miles and the "only" issues I've had have been two front sprocket failures (and a tow). So people like you can thank people like me for helping to light the fire under BRPs *ss.

Quote Originally Posted by Centurion View Post
    Wow, so the "positive comments" thread has quickly gone negative, lol. I currently own two Spyders and have owned a total of 3 over the last 4 plus years. All three bikes were or are great machines that perform well and deliver many, many enjoyable and carefree miles. Owning a Spyder has changed my wife's and my life for the better and we cant imagine not having them. Ok, maybe there have been a few issues but, we dealt with them, and in our case, BRP always supported their product. Therefore, as proud Spyder owners, we speak positively about BRP, the Can Am family, and our extended Spyder family to the constant interest that we receive while riding. I am very sorry that others have experienced problems and wish them well in seeking an acceptable remedy. However, I think the biggest threat to growing our Spyder community in the future is from the very vocal, and relentless, minority of owners who have had problems and not the majority of us who are out there having a blast! See you all on the open road!

Spyder Garage

Default "Other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?"

I also have had a few problems with my Spyder, but the good times have overshadowed the performance problems, so I continue to ride. Current problems aside and having ridden 31,500 miles on your Spyder in the last year, I suspect you have had some really positive experiences on
    your F3. Perhaps you could share some of those with us.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If it wasn't for those two failures I would have been having a blast on my Spyder.
    If it wasn't for those two failures I would be telling everyone they should consider buying a Spyder.
    Because of those two failures...………….

Quote Originally Posted by aHermit View Post
    I also have had a few problems with my Spyder, but the good times have overshadowed the performance problems, so I continue to ride. Current problems aside and having ridden 31,500 miles on your Spyder in the last year, I suspect you have had some really positive experiences on
    your F3. Perhaps you could share some of those with us.

Very Active Member Fatcycledaddy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Both Motorcycle Consumer News and Consumer Reports both have Can-Am & Harley Davidson has dead last in reliability (year after year!). This was even a topic of discussion on a previous thread. Everything depends on how much you ride, your riding style and how your machine is maintained. Those who speak up about Spyder issues are not the "biggest threat".....we are the voice that gets Can-Am to address both the reliability issues and creature comforts we enjoy. Unlike you, I will let BRP know that they have two choices, either produce a quality product or lose me as a customer. My mechanic called me yesterday to let me know he has ordered another front sprocket and even has BRP tech on the phone as well. He wants to keep me as a customer and so should BRP. Also note that we are not a "minority" of owners, most owners both on this site as well as people I personally know (even from this site) have had "problems". I laugh when Spyder owners say they "never" had a problem yet after a few minutes of conversation they say they were once towed, coolant leaks, sensor issues, sprocket failures etc. Funny how that always comes out the mouths of those who say they "never" had any problem. As previously stated, 31,500 miles and the "only" issues I've had have been two front sprocket failures (and a tow). So people like you can thank people like me for helping to light the fire under BRPs *ss.
    Well I have NEVER been towed, have NEVER been stranded, and LOVE the dependability of my 2015 RTL in 35000 miles.
    Does that mean I have never had a problem, NO. I had to have an air compressor replaced, but I had it done under warranty in the off season. I unplugged the dump valve, aired up the rear bag, and rode for a few weeks with a manual air ride.
    I had a leak in the frunk and had to have the seal replaced under warranty also.

So, has my Spyder been trouble free? the answer would be NO, but neither has any other motorized vehicle or any other product I have owned.
    Has it been dependable? Absolutely, I am not afraid to jump on it and ride it anywhere. In fact will be doing that this coming riding season to remote places in Wyoming, Utah, and Colorado.
    Does that mean that other Spyders might not have or be problems? NO, sometimes things are built that just do not work, but that doesn't mean that all the others do or will have problems just because one does.

I had a Ford Ranger that was in the shop more than it was out, but yet the ranger was said to be one of the most dependable small trucks on the road. I disagreed because mine was a lemon, but that doesn't mean all of them were. I did not try to discourage others from buying one because of my experience, I knew that the normal was not what I had occur.

The problem that I see is that if all we do is tell everyone about the negative experiences that we have, and never let anyone tell of the positive experiences they have had without the negative comments being added back in, we are spoiling future buyers, limiting sales, thus lessening the companies chances of survival.
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

If you don't like the Spyder or Spyderfolk then, in my humble opinion, you don't know Spyders.

The demographic, that sadly BRP seems to want to run away from. is pretty homogeneous.
    We are a group of folks that like it or not are linked by our common history.

And we linked by a common desire to wrench out the most of what life has to offer.
    We are a motorsports generation.

Hot Rods, DIY, and active enough to want to enjoy the sheer joy of a solid twist on the throttle.

Yep, Spyders have brought us to together and it's our common heritage that keeps us together,

Oh, and BTW I wouldn't give a second thought to the reliability or dependability of my Spyder to hop on and travel for a good meal or a good time anywhere.

The Power of Logic.
    Start Thinking.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Fatcycledaddy View Post
    Well I have NEVER been towed, have NEVER been stranded, and LOVE the dependability of my 2015 RTL in 35000 miles.
    Does that mean I have never had a problem, NO. I had to have an air compressor replaced, but I had it done under warranty in the off season. I unplugged the dump valve, aired up the rear bag, and rode for a few weeks with a manual air ride.
    I had a leak in the frunk and had to have the seal replaced under warranty also.

So, has my Spyder been trouble free? the answer would be NO, but neither has any other motorized vehicle or any other product I have owned.
    Has it been dependable? Absolutely, I am not afraid to jump on it and ride it anywhere. In fact will be doing that this coming riding season to remote places in Wyoming, Utah, and Colorado.
    Does that mean that other Spyders might not have or be problems? NO, sometimes things are built that just do not work, but that doesn't mean that all the others do or will have problems just because one does.

I had a Ford Ranger that was in the shop more than it was out, but yet the ranger was said to be one of the most dependable small trucks on the road. I disagreed because mine was a lemon, but that doesn't mean all of them were. I did not try to discourage others from buying one because of my experience, I knew that the normal was not what I had occur.

The problem that I see is that if all we do is tell everyone about the negative experiences that we have, and never let anyone tell of the positive experiences they have had without the negative comments being added back in, we are spoiling future buyers, limiting sales, thus lessening the companies chances of survival.
    I agree with everything you have quoted. I also have a 2015 RT which I purchased with 10,000 miles with no warranty. I now have about 30,000 miles on it. Again I have had minor problems which I have taken care of myself. I would not be afraid to take off with it for anywhere. It runs great never has ever let me down. I plan to ride it another year and will probably have 50,000 miles on it and will trade it for a new one and someone will get a good Spyder for many more miles.
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Lamonster Belt Tensioner w/ larger roller
    Spyderpops Missing Belt Guard
    Garmin's GPS

Spyder Garage

Default Over 200 K on 4 Spyders

My wifes 2011 RT SM5 got us started and logged 76000 miles before we became a 2 spyder family with her 15 RTS and shortly thereafter my 15 base RT both SE6s. She now has her 16 FE3T with 39000 mi and my base RT has 50000 mi. My RT has been towed to the shop twice and although the wiring harness was replaced last November and the DESS module replaced this September we just finished our Trip to Tucson and back without trepidation.

Driving over from Albuquerque we did however log the last 20 miles in slushy snow getting into Show Low AZ and didnt freeze to death. The next day I blew a tire when I hit a 6" rock that washed down to the road in a driving cloudburst south of Show Low. The RT was stable on the blown tire and I was able to roll on the flat for another couple of miles until I found a wide spot to pull over safely. I appreciate that the RT kept us safe and that although it took another day back in Show Low to get new tires for the front, we were able to complete our trip to Tucson and back.

Never an engine or driveline problem, just happy for the days in the wind.
    Last edited by AeroPilot; 10-11-2018 at 09:20 PM. Reason: 16 FE3T
    07 Shadows, Aero, Spirit gone but not forgotten
    03 Harley Sportster, 07 RK moved on
    11 RT- 76,000 mi, 15 RT-S- 44,000 mi, traded for current 15 base RT and 16 F3T
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm happy that everyone loves their mechanical failures.
    I also have that warm fuzzy feeling knowing that Can-Am is dead last in reliability as per both MCM & CR.
    I'm ecstatic that people think mechanical failure and reliability are the same thing.
    To think the "demographic" (code for elderly) is being "threatened" ……..by the 60+ crowd.....is wonderful.
    The last thing the dinosaurs need are a younger generation enjoying themselves as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Fatcycledaddy View Post

Quote Originally Posted by spyderCodes View Post
    If you don't like the Spyder or Spyderfolk then, in my humble opinion, you don't know Spyders.

The demographic, that sadly BRP seems to want to run away from. is pretty homogeneous.
    We are a group of folks that like it or not are linked by our common history.

And we linked by a common desire to wrench out the most of what life has to offer.
    We are a motorsports generation.

Hot Rods, DIY, and active enough to want to enjoy the sheer joy of a solid twist on the throttle.

Yep, Spyders have brought us to together and it's our common heritage that keeps us together,

Oh, and BTW I wouldn't give a second thought to the reliability or dependability of my Spyder to hop on and travel for a good meal or a good time anywhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by AeroPilot View Post
    My wifes 2011 RT SM5 got us started and logged 76000 miles before we became a 2 spyder family with her 15 RTS and shortly thereafter my 15 base RT both SE6s. She now has her 16 FE3T with 39000 mi and my base RT has 50000 mi. My RT has been towed to the shop twice and although the wiring harness was replaced last November and the DESS module replaced this September we just finished our Trip to Tucson and back without trepidation.

Driving over from Albuquerque we did however log the last 20 miles in slushy snow getting into Show Low AZ and didnt freeze to death. The next day I blew a tire when I hit a 6" rock that washed down to the road in a driving cloudburst south of Show Low. The RT was stable on the blown tire and I was able to roll on the flat for another couple of miles until I found a wide spot to pull over safely. I appreciate that the RT kept us safe and that although it took another day back in Show Low to get new tires for the front, we were able to complete our trip to Tucson and back.

Never an engine or driveline problem, just happy for the days in the wind.

Spyder Garage

I noticed this also and it kept me from pulling the trigger for awhile. I finally did buy my RTL and have put a lot of trouble free miles on it so far. I should have purchased it a long time ago when I first started looking at them, instead I waited almost 2 years. Spyders aren't perfect but it is far better then the bike I was riding. I love it, my wife loves it so there's nothing else to say at this point. Chris

2021 RT Limited
    2021 Spyder RT Liminted , Marsala Red in Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I agree.
    I waited almost 6 months after my test ride.
    Can-Am was as new as seeing the F3s for the first time.
    I do not regret buying my F3s as this bike has caused me to ride a lot more.
    I'm getting my bike back either today or Monday and plan on riding through the winter till snow/ice says no.
    I'm still going to beat up Can-Am till they correct the flaws though.
    My thoughts.
    Quote Originally Posted by C. Lee View Post
    I noticed this also and it kept me from pulling the trigger for awhile. I finally did buy my RTL and have put a lot of trouble free miles on it so far. I should have purchased it a long time ago when I first started looking at them, instead I waited almost 2 years. Spyders aren't perfect but it is far better then the bike I was riding. I love it, my wife loves it so there's nothing else to say at this point. Chris

Spyder Garage

Default Nice try on being positive.

Quote Originally Posted by south GA Farm Boy View Post
    Guys,
    We need some good positives Threads about Spyders put on this site sometimes! Each time I get on it, everyone has problems, and bashing occurs about their Spyder or BRP. Some of you Guys with high mileage on them and with few problems, please let us know! New people reading our site will not want to buy a Spyder after seeing all the bad problems we are writing about on here! Hopefully we can have a blend of some good and some of the bad! I am not bashing anyone, because I have ask for help several times and all of you came to my rescue! Thank you so much for sharing your experiences with me and others!
    I appreciate your attempt to elicit positive comments about our Spyders over concern about what new or potential owners may think after reading many of the postings on this site. Perhaps they will learn as much about Spyder owners from this thread, and other threads, as they will learn about Spyders themselves. Clearly, there are those for whom the "glass is full" (i.e., they never had a problem with their Spyder and they love it). It appears some owners are "the glass is half full" types, willing to overlook a few mechanical issue and enjoy their machines in spite of a few flaws. Still others appear to be "the glass is half empty" types, perhaps seeking support in their grievance(s) from others with similar problems (i.e., "misery loves company"); not to imply their grievances are in any way unjustified, it's just their way of dealing with their frustrations. And, I suspect a very few may be "the glass is completely empty" types who have allowed one or more serious problems with their Spyder to negatively color their opinion of Spyders in general, or perhaps of the manufacturer. In a few instances, I have read these folks sell their Spyder and move on.

I don't know if the glass is half full or half empty. I just want to know whether or not the "glass" is, in reality, a specimen cup (i.e., did I really get what I thought I was getting). To that end, positive and negative postings both serve their purposes helping all of us sort it out. We will just have to trust the new owners or prospective owners to have the intelligence to figure it out for themselves.

You might consider reposting this thread as a request for only positive comments and see if that works out any better. I hope you do.

Spyder Garage

Default Spyder X3

I am on the third RTL, 2012 &2-15s. Had 37000 on the 12 and really wanted the triple. That and the color made the deal. Nary an issue with #1😇. #2, well some over zealous cager took care of the Special Series. #3 is also a 15. 24000 mi and again only a minor issue, the air pump died. 😤. They all have been great and should something happen to #3 or I get the itch to buy there will be #4!!!! Great ride to say the least 😄🏕I am!!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by C. Lee View Post
    And the bike you were riding?

Spyder Garage

I'm happy that everyone loves their mechanical failures.
    I also have that warm fuzzy feeling knowing that Can-Am is dead last in reliability as per both MCM & CR.
    I'm ecstatic that people think mechanical failure and reliability are the same thing.
    To think the "demographic" (code for elderly) is being "threatened" ……..by the 60+ crowd.....is wonderful.
    The last thing the dinosaurs need are a younger generation enjoying themselves as well.
    Ya know Road Kill I don't think it is a matter of anyone enjoying their break downs on a Spyder and I certainly can't speak to it as I don't own a Spyder. In fact today I stopped at the nearest Spyder dealer and looked at the left over RT's they have on sale. I like the grey dark version, but something in the back of my mind just won't let me pull the trigger and buy one while they are on sale. It could be your comments, which are quite vocal, or other issues I have read about. I am a confirmed BMW owner who came from Harley. I have had 5 BMW's and over 12 new Harleys before the Beemers. Almost every one of my bikes has at some point required going back to the shop for something, but only one broke down on me and left me stranded. That was a 2002 Road Glide that made it about 14 miles from the dealership before it broke down due to a bad stator. That Road Glide, although it was the nicest Harley I ever owned was also the last I would ever own. It listed for about 15K and after I got done putting another 5K into it to turn it into a Road Glide Ultra, which they didn't make back then, I tried to trade it in a year and a half later and could only get 14.5K on trade. Bye-Bye Harley along with their crap about 10 cents on every dollar back on accessories at trade-in time.

Went over to the Dark Side and bought a BMW 1200LT and switched to the K1600 series and they have made great strides in refining that bike since my first one in 2012. Unfortunately for me K1600's don't bring back a lot of trade-in value in my area, so switching to a Spyder RT is going to be a costly affair. The saving grace is that the sale price now offered on Spyder's makes up for some of the monetary shock. Even with the savings I am having a hard time convincing myself that a Spyder is a worthwhile purchase. I have read about the dreaded DESS issues and a few other glitches and actually making the switch is difficult for me. Reliability aside on a Spyder, the lack of horsepower concerns me as my K1600 pushes out quite a bit more, but I almost never use it which is rather sad. In retrospect though I have to ask myself if I really need that much horsepower at 67 years old? Part of me says yes and part says no, not anymore. But will I miss it on a Spyder? I don't know....decisions, decisions. Your posts certainly don't make my decisions any easier. So in some respects you have accomplished one of your underlying goals of keeping potential customers away from buying a Spyder.

I have a few more days to think this through and hopefully I will make the right call for me. From a personal standpoint though if I suffered two similar breakdowns on my K1600 I would certainly find a common thread as to what is taking place. If a drive belt pulley or bolts are breaking there has to be a reason and just replacing the parts and waiting for it to break again isn't repairing the underlying problem. So all I can say is good luck finding the real cause of your pulley problem and quite possibly you saved me from making a decision I may regret later on.

Rick H.