Hybrid View

Spyder Garage

Default Factory/Extended Warranty..what really voids it?

Most of us on here have added all sorts of farkles from horns, lights, suspension, car tires, trailer hitches...etc...I have done all of the above plus some...Has anyone ever been in a situation where a farkle voided your warranty, be it factory or BEST or other? I ask because our 2016 Rt is at the end of its factory warranty and I'm considering extending it with the BEST warranty. If there are farkles that void it anyway, then I won't purchase it, but if there hasn't been anything that has voided warranty, then I'll go ahead with it. So, what kind of experiences have you run into with farkles and warranty?

Thanks,
    Rick
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

When I purchased my BEST warranty a couple of months ago my dealer told me anything altered that effects the system in need of repair voids that portion of the warranty. In BRPs defense, I've seen people do really less then intelligent things to their bike and when a problem starts they blame BRP. If you are altering, playing or whatever you want to call it with your ride then stay away from BEST. Every other manufacturer does the same thing because as stated.....too many geniuses out there think they know better.

Hope this helps.

Spyder Garage

Amen to the above post!

Rick H.

Spyder Garage

Unless the farkle you installed cause the failure they will warranty your bike. They have to prove it caused the problem. I've never been turned down on a warranty claim and I add a lot of farkles.
    2018 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Spyder Garage

If you go into ANY dealership for ANY make of vehicle, you will see that they all sell farkles and accessories. If dealers (any of them) started voiding warranties due to add-ons, they would lose a big part of their sales and soon be out of business. If an offending farkle caused a system failure then a warranty claim could be denied. But then could you have recourse against the farkle manufacturer.....?
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    If you go into ANY dealership for ANY make of vehicle, you will see that they all sell farkles and accessories. If dealers (any of them) started voiding warranties due to add-ons, they would lose a big part of their sales and soon be out of business. If an offending farkle caused a system failure then a warranty claim could be denied. But then could you have recourse against the farkle manufacturer.....?
    My dealer has both BRP and aftermarket items available for installation. As an example, they seem to like Baja-Ron and Tric-led and will recommend installing those over the factory upgrades for mods. I think in general, we're good to go farkling.
    2017 F3-L Intense red "Wings"
    Spyderpops Spyclops Light
    Tric LED Headlights and Fog lights
    Madstad Windshield
    Phoenix - Wrap My Spyder
    Lamonster Highway Pegs
    BajaRon Sway Bar
    Rich's Custom Seats
    2017 F3-L , Red/Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JP58 View Post
    Unless the farkle you installed cause the failure they will warranty your bike. They have to prove it caused the problem. I've never been turned down on a warranty claim and I add a lot of farkles.
    Agreed. I never had any warranty claim denied on my 2013 RT-L, factory or BEST, and I had a lot of farkles. I would go with the BEST warranty.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

OEM warranties are covered by the Magnuson Moss Act.
    However, separately purchased extended warranties often do NOT need to adhere to it.

From Wikipedia:

A "service contract" is different from a warranty because service contracts do not affirm the quality or workmanship of a consumer product. A service contract is a written instrument in which a supplier agrees to perform, over a fixed period or for a specified duration, services relating to the maintenance or repair, or both, of a consumer product. Agreements that meet the statutory definition of service contracts, but are sold and regulated under state law as contracts of insurance, do not come under the Act's provisions.

And you have to be careful; the contract you purchase as an "extended warranty" may in fact be a "service contract".
    2014 RT - SE6 , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mazo EMS2 View Post
    Most of us on here have added all sorts of farkles from horns, lights, suspension, car tires, trailer hitches...etc...I have done all of the above plus some...Has anyone ever been in a situation where a farkle voided your warranty, be it factory or BEST or other? I ask because our 2016 Rt is at the end of its factory warranty and I'm considering extending it with the BEST warranty. If there are farkles that void it anyway, then I won't purchase it, but if there hasn't been anything that has voided warranty, then I'll go ahead with it. So, what kind of experiences have you run into with farkles and warranty?

Thanks,
    Rick

Nothing you do to your Spyder can just 'void' your warranty.. at least here in the USA. The Magnusen-Moss Warranty Act protects us.
    What CAN happen is if you perform a modification and a related part was to fail, BRP can choose not to cover that particular failure.
    If you did a bunch of electrical modifications and then had your front driveshaft go bad, they can't use your electrical mods as an excuse not to cover the driveshaft. But if something electrical was to fail, then they could refuse to cover that area.

So the 'failure' has to be related to the modification you did in order for them to legally not cover the repair. I've yet to hear of anyone having a big issue with this kind of thing on a Spyder.

I recommend getting the BEST extension to cover expensive items like the computers, sensors, cluster, etc....

It's also best when installing modifications to do it in a manner that can be easily reversed back to original factory condition.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!