Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Knowing when to run!

Last year I had the evil red dusted front sprocket but noticed it in time and had it replaced at 18,778 miles.
    Today while out riding my 2nd front sprocket ground out but this time it left me stranded at 31,500 miles.
    No red dust, no warning........just 2 seconds of grinding then coasted a few feet.
    I called BRP customer care and matters got a whole lot worse.
    When I informed customer care that my bike was dead and in need of tow he "barked" at me that BRP will only reimburse $200!
    This customer rep sounded like he had no idea what he was doing.
    BRP then transferred my call to supervisors who had tow at my location within 1.5 hours.
    This sprocket failure, and I'm assuming its another sprocket failure, could have been a serious accident if it failed on a highway.

So here is a lesson...…
    knowing when a bike is down for the count.....
    Knowing when to get off the bike...…
    Knowing when to run like hell....

Spyder Garage

Maybe a Ryker would make you smile......
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Default stranded also

same issue with my wife's 2015 rt limited. We replaced a drive belt last fall due to Pa.'s wonderful oil & chip road repair program. about 2,000 miles later front sprocket failed on a 2 lane road in rush hour traffic..had the bike back around 3 weeks went on a benefit mda ride & the group had to stop on a uphill grade. the harley trike in front of my wife had issues pulling out & stalled twice-second time drifted back & collided with the spyder-requiring new frunk pieces. left the dealer & had a barke failure warning...back to the dealer to top off the brake fluid..2 rides later the parking brake would not engage...back to the shop..buds report failed switch. mechanic cleared the code & "all is well again" ..did not go over well with us..still in the shop...wife does not want to ride alone for fear of something else going wrong..also we are headed to Tennessee tomorrow with out the spyder..a week in the smokies wasted due to a faulty can am product.... any ideas????

Spyder Garage

Sorry, couldn't resist, but don't follow Harley trikes too closely....
    Forgive me in advance, I know I'm not adding anything productive to the conversation And I'm sorry your Spyder isn't taking you to the twisties.
    It is very strange how some Spyders have issue after issue and others do 10's of thousands of miles with hardly a problem.
    Again, I apologize...
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

That's why I'm Trading/Selling my F3 for the Ryker- Have 13,600 and already have the New Sprocket Bought so the Dealer can use it when I trade in. I had No damage at 10,000 when I replaced the bolt and have my tension at 125 and No more red dust when I take the cover off and check. I think High belt tension Really contributes to the problem?

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DGoebel View Post
    Maybe a Ryker would make you smile......
    Why would I buy another Can Am product when my current Can Am product has failed me twice in less then two years?
    Quote Originally Posted by daviszoo1 View Post
    same issue with my wife's 2015 rt limited. We replaced a drive belt last fall due to Pa.'s wonderful oil & chip road repair program. about 2,000 miles later front sprocket failed on a 2 lane road in rush hour traffic..had the bike back around 3 weeks went on a benefit mda ride & the group had to stop on a uphill grade. the harley trike in front of my wife had issues pulling out & stalled twice-second time drifted back & collided with the spyder-requiring new frunk pieces. left the dealer & had a barke failure warning...back to the dealer to top off the brake fluid..2 rides later the parking brake would not engage...back to the shop..buds report failed switch. mechanic cleared the code & "all is well again" ..did not go over well with us..still in the shop...wife does not want to ride alone for fear of something else going wrong..also we are headed to Tennessee tomorrow with out the spyder..a week in the smokies wasted due to a faulty can am product.... any ideas????
    MC rallies are always attended by too many riders with little or no riding experience and why I disdain them now as a routine.
    Had my failure occurred on a highway with no shoulder this would have been life threatening.
    BRP has NOT upgraded their front sprocket (apparently) and now I know what's in store for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by DGoebel View Post
    Sorry, couldn't resist, but don't follow Harley trikes too closely....
    Forgive me in advance, I know I'm not adding anything productive to the conversation And I'm sorry your Spyder isn't taking you to the twisties.
    It is very strange how some Spyders have issue after issue and others do 10's of thousands of miles with hardly a problem.
    Again, I apologize...
    This was my first tow and I have over 31,000 miles on it.
    Buy your definition I also have tens of thousands of miles on my F3s without "hardly a problem".
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarge707 View Post
    That's why I'm Trading/Selling my F3 for the Ryker- Have 13,600 and already have the New Sprocket Bought so the Dealer can use it when I trade in. I had No damage at 10,000 when I replaced the bolt and have my tension at 125 and No more red dust when I take the cover off and check. I think High belt tension Really contributes to the problem?
    As stated above to DGoebel, I'm not looking into another Can AM product when the beast I have has issues.
    You can fool me once but twice? No thanks.
    So far I have had two issues with my Spyder with one being serious enough requiring a tow.
    That sprocket failure could have caused a major accident just like a flat tire at highway speeds.
    Rethinking my whole Can Am experience just like I did with my Harley (sh*tbox) Ultra-Classic many years ago.