MetroAsian

Default Trailering Your Spyder- What Ramps Do People Have?

I bought a steel flatbed Zieman trailer Model F-812SL (http://www.zieman.com/docs/mc.pdf) with chrome rims to transport my Spyders around but the problem with it is that the ramp it comes with is not wide enough for the Spyder.

So...I decided buy three individual aluminum ramps for $150 each but wanted to see if anyone out there has a better solution or if they made wood planks / other contraptions to load a spyder onto their trailer.

I got the trailer off craigslist for a steel I think....$1,000. What do you people think? Just depressing to know that I paid close to $500 after taxes (CA tax in the bay area is 9.75%) which is half the value of the ramp and I can't even stowe the ramp away nicely like the original ramp it came with. tr

Spyder Garage

If this is a DIY project, you can buy three 2" x whatever floats your boat for less than $30 a board. You can get the ramp kit hardware at most auto parts stores.

One problem is that wood ramps are slipperier than snake snot when they are wet
    In order to find his equal, an Irishman is forced to talk to God. God looked down upon Ireland and said "Damn, I'm good!"

2009 POW*MIA SE5

Spyder Garage

Default THAT SLICK?

Quote Originally Posted by irish2themax View Post
    If this is a DIY project, you can buy three 2" x whatever floats your boat for less than $30 a board. You can get the ramp kit hardware at most auto parts stores.

One problem is that wood ramps are slipperier than snake snot when they are wet
    HOW ABOUT SNAKE SNOT ON A GUN BARREL? NOW THAT'S SLIPPERY...

Previous owner of a 2008 Spyder SM5.
    Current owner of a 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture

Spyder Garage

I got a three teer fold out ramp for 145.00 it opens up to the full with of trailer so easy on and off wide all alumemin 68lb give take spyder has no problem going in out and got a interstate trailed with ramp for 3,000.00
    inclosed single axel for long trips carry tools with me get fold out ramp bike shops sell them never wood to menny problems lost a bike once.Don ...

Spyder Garage

Default Ramps, RV

Ok, I have a problem also. Had to buy a new RV Toy Hauler to fit SPYDER and 2 Wheelers (good excuse, huh). Anyway, bought a 38FT, 5th wheel with a 14FT garage. New problem the ramp is steep, front of SPYDER hits ramp. I was told to jack the front of the camper up to get the ramp lower? I'm also wondering if any of you have resolved the low front end problem?

Spyder Garage
    In order to find his equal, an Irishman is forced to talk to God. God looked down upon Ireland and said "Damn, I'm good!"

2009 POW*MIA SE5

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I PURCHASED A TRITON AUT, WHICH IS ALL ALUMINUM AND IS 5 FT. 4 INCHES WIDE AND 10 FEET LONG, HAS A FOLD DOWN RAMP THAT IS PERFECT FOR THE SPYDER. IT COMES WITH ADJUSTABLE D-RINGS IN THE FLOOR SO YOU CAN MOVE THEM TO THE BEST POSSIBLE POSITION. TOWED MINE TO LAKE GEORGE WITH NO PROBLEM. DIDN'T EVEN KNOW IT WAS BEHIND MY FORD RANGER. COST OF TRAILER WAS $1570. STRONGLY RECOMMEND THEM BECAUSE THERE ARE NO ALTERATIONS NEEDED.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TwinPeaks View Post
    Ok, I have a problem also. Had to buy a new RV Toy Hauler to fit SPYDER and 2 Wheelers (good excuse, huh). Anyway, bought a 38FT, 5th wheel with a 14FT garage. New problem the ramp is steep, front of SPYDER hits ramp. I was told to jack the front of the camper up to get the ramp lower? I'm also wondering if any of you have resolved the low front end problem?
    Interested in which RV you found that would hold the Spyder and a two wheeler - we've an Ultra Classic and seems all of the garages in the Toy Haulers end up being too small. We got rid of our 14 ft v-nose trailer because both bikes wouldn't fit . Thanks for your input!
    HAPPY SPYDER OWNER
    BRP 1" riser, Trunk liner & Fog Lights. NMN Triple Play & Turn Signal LED, Double Play, Front Fender Tips Kit, Mudflap Light Kit, Center Tail Light. 3" Handlebar Riser Kit, Adj. Footrest Brackets & Axle Caps, and Chad Windshield. Kuryakyn Spider pegs & mounts, ISO Grips, & Throttle Boss. J&M radio (Custom Bracket). Evoluzione Power Bus. DEI Exhaust Wrap. AudioVox Cruise Control (Custom Bracket). Gerbing Electric clothing socket.

MetroAsian

I found this build your own ramp kit while browsing in the wee hours of the morning.....

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...4487_200304487

They are based out of MN and when I called they said that each wooden plank when installed with their kit can hold up to 750 lbs. Since you have to buy two kits it would be $120, plus shipping, plus the wood. For about $400 for the aluminum ramps I bought, I think I'll stick with the aluminum ones for piece of mind and in case I do have to load the Spyder in the rain and the hassle of returning the ramps.

If anyone decides to go the DIY ramp kit from Northern Tools, let me know...I'm interested in seeing!

Spyder Garage

How about 2 sets of the 5 foot steel ramps from harbor Freight? Work good for me.

john

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by retread View Post
    How about 2 sets of the 5 foot steel ramps from harbor Freight? Work good for me.

john
    They were on sale for as little as $39.95 with a coupon (9 footers) for the pair. I didn't like the straight ones so I decided to wait for the tri-fold to be on sale later.
    Silver SM5 PE# 1274, Hindle Exhaust, Touring Windshield, Caliper Trim, B.E.S.T. 3 Year Ext, Nuvi 255 GPS, Fog Lights, Sport Rack, Back Rest, 12V Outlet, Talon 3300p Alarm, NMN Mud Flap and TipZ LEDs, SpyderLovers Emblems, Kuryakyn Widow Pegs and Axel Trim, Luimoto seat skin, Evo Air Filter and O2 Mod, Cranker Tank Bag, Blue Sea fuse block, MAD/AMS/MBG, Oddyssey battery, IPS.

Service Bulletin Applied: Gen II parking brake, 2nd SW patch, evap can/hose update, Gen II DPS

Spyder Garage

You either need longer ramps (slower rise) or a shorter middle ramp so the nose gets a chance to rise before contacting the middle ramp.
    Silver SM5 PE# 1274, Hindle Exhaust, Touring Windshield, Caliper Trim, B.E.S.T. 3 Year Ext, Nuvi 255 GPS, Fog Lights, Sport Rack, Back Rest, 12V Outlet, Talon 3300p Alarm, NMN Mud Flap and TipZ LEDs, SpyderLovers Emblems, Kuryakyn Widow Pegs and Axel Trim, Luimoto seat skin, Evo Air Filter and O2 Mod, Cranker Tank Bag, Blue Sea fuse block, MAD/AMS/MBG, Oddyssey battery, IPS.

Service Bulletin Applied: Gen II parking brake, 2nd SW patch, evap can/hose update, Gen II DPS

Spyder Garage

Thanks, I can't do anything about the RV ramp, it's a Toy Hauler-38FT, 5th wheel camper (here we come ride to the Smokies). I'm looking at getting some metal ramps to basically do what you said "lengthen the climb", just didn't know which kind is best. We thought we had the hauling problem solved with a 14ft garage versus the standard 10-12FT but the ramp climb was a new issue.

Spyder Garage

Thanks, I can't do anything about the RV ramp, it's a Toy Hauler-38FT, 5th wheel camper (here we come ride to the Smokies). I'm looking at getting some metal ramps to basically do what you said "lengthen the climb", just didn't know which kind is best. We thought we had the hauling problem solved with a 14ft garage versus the standard 10-12FT but the ramp climb was a new issue.
    An easy way out for you is to simply add 2 boards (5 foot each .... you can cut a 2x10 in half) on your existing ramp for your two front tires. Cheap and easy .... a $20 fix.