Spyder Garage

Unhappy My Yoshimura went boom, 2012 Can Am Spyder RS SM5

Friday 09/28/2018 was an interesting day, after a long day working it was 1:30pm and time to head home. I entered the I17 heading south to the 101 here in AZ, as I passed Thunderbird RD, and near Northern I felt something fairly hard hit the back of my right leg then a bit of a shudder lots of vibration and increased noise. I thought maybe the spring holding my Yoshimura pipe may have somehow dislodged and came off, when I got home it was gone and I wasnt so worried local hardware store and I can get a new spring for it. Then for the hell of it I looked back at the bikes exhaust and there was a fist size hole, it detonated literally exploded while I was driving. I'm lucky though the plastic guard kept the metal from penetrating the rear tire and deflected it away from my leg. I have never heard of a Yoshi let alone most if any exhausts exploding, it was crazy but now im shelling out some $300+ for a Two Brothers exhaust which I had on my old Dual Sport Honda 650 which i loved. Goes to show that no matter how strong or well made, once in a while things can go bad. Also this exhaust was on the bike when i purchased it from the dealership last year with 1150 miles on it, guess its a good excuse to upgrade lol.Yohsi is gone 2.jpgYoshi is gone.jpg

Spyder Garage

Default Yikes...!!!

Never heard of such a thing. I have the same pipe R77 and had the baffle shoot out, foutunately at home, so I drilled a hole in the holding screw and put in a cotter key to keep it form backing out.That would have to be some kind of pressure... sure someone didn't toss in a live round of ammo.....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default I suggest you contact Yoshimura in California

Quote Originally Posted by The Ancients View Post
    Friday 09/28/2018 was an interesting day, after a long day working it was 1:30pm and time to head home. I entered the I17 heading south to the 101 here in AZ, as I passed Thunderbird RD, and near Northern I felt something fairly hard hit the back of my right leg then a bit of a shudder lots of vibration and increased noise. I thought maybe the spring holding my Yoshimura pipe may have somehow dislodged and came off, when I got home it was gone and I wasnt so worried local hardware store and I can get a new spring for it. Then for the hell of it I looked back at the bikes exhaust and there was a fist size hole, it detonated literally exploded while I was driving. I'm lucky though the plastic guard kept the metal from penetrating the rear tire and deflected it away from my leg. I have never heard of a Yoshi let alone most if any exhausts exploding, it was crazy but now im shelling out some $300+ for a Two Brothers exhaust which I had on my old Dual Sport Honda 650 which i loved. Goes to show that no matter how strong or well made, once in a while things can go bad. Also this exhaust was on the bike when i purchased it from the dealership last year with 1150 miles on it, guess its a good excuse to upgrade lol.Yohsi is gone 2.jpgYoshi is gone.jpg

I suggest you call Yoshimura 800-634-9166 in California.
    Email them your photo of Yoshimura muffler blowing out the side.

Spyder Garage

Default Thank you for the phone number

Oh man i thought someone had done something to the bike, possibly put a live round lol the bike did have a tendancy to pop and backfire a bit like a super bike would. I actually asked the dealership about that, they said it was normal for the bike to pop a lot as i slowed down this though didnt seem quite normal. I will indeed be sending a picture to them by mail Jim, and give them a call, this is definitely a unique situation but i found a two bros exhaust for $327 with free shipping im getting withdrawals from not riding it will be here by the 11th then back on the road again. I will probably send yoshi the pipe to let them see what happened, maybe give me an idea of what may have caused it.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Default Called Yoshimura

I did call Yoshimura up, explaining the situation and they were happy to give me a quoste and shipping. I have already purchased and received the exhaust within 2 days of ordering (wasn’t expecting it until the 11th), I will use the box from the 2 Brothers Exhaust and send back the Yoshi pipe to have it rebuilt. More so to have a spare part in the hopefully unlikely case it happens again, the customer service st Yoshimura is very good I do like how they are more than willing to help and give a the information and I can say the turn around time of 3-5 days is quick.

Spyder Garage

Good luck with the 2-brothers pipe. They used to be good but the quality has really gone down on them. Know plenty of people who had them fall apart.

I always had good luck with HMF pipes and loved the one I had on my 2008 GS.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

Default Yoshi

I have blown out 2 Yoshimura R77 slip ons. I am now running a Megacycle made in Melbourne. The v-twin produces a lot of exhaust heat which causes the R77's to blow out. The Megacycle has extra packing to cope with heat. Cheers Paul Sent from
    2013 RS S , Baja Rons plugs and wires Green

Spyder Garage

Can you share where you found the Two Brothers for that price?

Spyder Garage

This is recent activity, may still be available...the twin can is the one you want, it usually holds up better.

https://m.facebook.com/groups/313629...56678484796904
    In the twisties I was playing the tart...
    2009 GS SM5 , Red/Black

Spyder Garage

Default Two brothers exhaust

Quote Originally Posted by achamb7 View Post
    Can you share where you found the Two Brothers for that price?
    Sorry for this late reply, I found it on EBay I know eBay has a lot of fakes but in this case it was a great deal and came in within a few days.

Spyder Garage

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

So is Yoshi replacing it at no cost? Just curious how great their CS is.
    2016 RT Limited
    Tri-Axis bars
    BajaRon Sway bar
    1970 Honda Trail CT70 fully restored
    2016 RT , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

I tried a number of exhausts with my 2008 GS and finally settled on the Yoshimura RS3 Carbon. Love the look and the sound. I have been running it for most of the miles on my Spyder and it's been bullet proof. I just re-packed it this winter. If the packing goes away it creates a hot spot where the exhaust concentrates on a small portion of the can. This fatigues and weakens that particular spot. If you get a backfire it can blow out right there. This will happen to any exhaust.

X001-Y032.jpg
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...