Spyder Garage

Default Hope this isn't out of range of discussion

Just got my wife through the three wheel rider training that Can Am has been subsidizing. Unsurprisingly, it looks like we will be becoming a 2 Spyder family. Joyce has suggested that it might be a good idea to get helmets with some type of communication device. Neither of us are real tech types, so I'm asking what kind of communication type stuff is available for motorcycle helmets? I keep seeing Bluetooth, but all my teeth are a dingy white. Suggestions/opinions please?
    Pat
    Burp(Gone, but not forgotten) - Viper Red 2012 RT-S SE5
    B-2 - Intense Red Pearl 2016 RT-S SE6
    GP - Phoenix Orange 2019 F3 LTD

Spyder Garage

You cannot go wrong with Sena. This appears to be the brand of choice among a lot of SL members.

Motorcycle Dave is your go-to person.

I have owned Cardo, N-com, Chatterbox, and Sena. Sena is OUR favorite communication device. We have the 10's. Communication about a quarter mile--direct sight. The new 20's are supposed to be good for a mile. Least noise interference amongst the brands listed above.

Good luck in your hunt and on your two spyder decision.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    You cannot go wrong with Sena. This appears to be the brand of choice among a lot of SL members.

I have owned Cardo, N-com, Chatterbox, and Sena. Sena is OUR favorite communication device. We have the 10's. Communication about a quarter mile--direct sight. The new 20's are supposed to be good for a mile. Least noise interference amongst the brands listed above.

Good luck in your hunt and on your two spyder decision.
    Is Sena Bluetooth? Do I need a phone with Bluetooth to operate this kind of communicator?
    Pat

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post

Bluetooth (wireless) is pretty much the standard these days. Sena are definitely high-end and if you're not all that techie, may be more than what you need. Basic bike-to-bike communication doesn't have to be all that expensive or complicated. Good luck with your search.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

My wife & I have owned Sena for years. Our old SMH 5 is just fine 4 us ( but not made any more).

You DO NOT need a phone ----- all Senas will answer your phone, let you listen to GPS, and music from the phone. I don't know about bike to bike, but Sena' s will do that as good as any other.

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by LLSailor View Post
    Is Sena Bluetooth? Do I need a phone with Bluetooth to operate this kind of communicator?
    To address your question, no, you do not require a phone with Bluetooth enabled to use a Sena unit -- my wife and I use the 20s and it works great for us. Everything you need to do from a headset to headset communications standpoint is available on the unit itself.

Mind you, you'll get a lot more benefit out of it if you have a Bluetooth-enabled smartphone -- I connect my smartphone to it for playing music and for turn-by-turn navigation, and the occasional call to the kids to ask them if they're hard at work while I'm out playing -- but it's not a requirement.

(Nice picture of the Mitscher -- it was about a decade after my time in Norfolk, but I enjoy seeing where people serve(d).)
    Regards,

Bret

2017 RT-S Orbital Blue
    BajaRon Anti-Sway Bar
    SpyderPops LED Bumpskid, Spyclops II LED, Full View Turn Signals & Belt Guard
    Sena 20S Bluetooth Headsets
    Brake Free Helmet Light
    FOBO Bike for Trike
    Rugged Geek RG1000 Safety Plus Jump Starter/Air Compressor
    Lamonster RAM mount/Techmount TechGripper
    Drink2Go Cup Holders
    UltraGard Half Cover
    2017 RT-S , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lew L View Post
    My wife & I have owned Sena for years. Our old SMH 5 is just fine 4 us ( but not made any more).

You DO NOT need a phone ----- all Senas will answer your phone, let you listen to GPS, and music from the phone. I don't know about bike to bike, but Sena' s will do that as good as any other.

Lew L
    I had the Sena 10S. They work great but you cannot listen to music, etc... and have intercom at the same time. You have to press the button on the unit to change back and forth. I returned them and got the Sena 20s because with the 20S this is automatic and you can do both. If you're listening to music, when someone talks, the music volume reduces until the conversation is over. It cost a little more, but it's worth it for us.

Rick

Spyder Garage

I am currently using the Sena 10S and had a Cardo Teamset before. Both are very good. The Sena I have is a bit more feature basic than my old Cardo. It will not read texts to me...but there are higher level Senas that do all that. Just research the feature lists of the various models from Sena. I know Cardo just introduced a new model too.

I use my comm gear to communicate with my wife and also with my son in bike to bike communication. Was really beneficial when we do roadtrips to disuss scenary, alert to road hazards and route information...and when he whines for a bathroom stop like when he was 10 years old (he's 30 now). :-)
    2012 RT-SE5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bhern View Post
    To address your question, no, you do not require a phone with Bluetooth enabled to use a Sena unit -- my wife and I use the 20s and it works great for us. Everything you need to do from a headset to headset communications standpoint is available on the unit itself.

Mind you, you'll get a lot more benefit out of it if you have a Bluetooth-enabled smartphone -- I connect my smartphone to it for playing music and for turn-by-turn navigation, and the occasional call to the kids to ask them if they're hard at work while I'm out playing -- but it's not a requirement.

(Nice picture of the Mitscher -- it was about a decade after my time in Norfolk, but I enjoy seeing where people serve(d).)
    Thanks for the info. Not Mitscher, FFG-57 was Reuben James, precommed her in 85 and went to her decom in 2012.
    Pat

Spyder Garage

My wife and I use the Uclear and like them , they are fairly easy to set up and they work without a boom mike, you just need to position them correctly in your helmet.
    2014 RTL , Black Currant

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We have used the Sena 20S since 2014, we are on our 3rd set but we probably use them more than most people. The intercom feature is great for bike to bike communication. Just like American Express -don’t leave home without them.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Hello, We use the Sena momentum lite helms for most our longer trips or freeway riding. 0930180731.jpg
    Wife has a large and I use the XL, these are a size larger then our other helms.

They sound great no wires, long battery, clean looking nothing hanging off.
    I removed the nose guard and lower pad till winter its the helm on the right.

I use a half helm for short trips, wife has a modular also.
    2017 RT , Asphalt Grey / Chrome

Spyder Garage

Another thumbs up for Sena. This was my third brand after two other brands lasted me only a year or two each. Very happy with the Sena sound quality, device quality, price, etc.

Spyder Garage

Default I highly recommend this bluetooth communication system

First, congrats on joining the girls who ride spyders movement, Joyce!

I've been using Sena for years, when I ride I like to stay in constant communication with my husband. Sena is very intuitive and easy to use, and it works with very few issues. However, there is always popping and crackling on the comms which bother my ears.

We found this new and amazing Bluetooth system, that is completely silent when we are not speaking, and when we do, the sound is crystal clear. It was very easy to install and sync. I highly recommend it:

http://www.zoozmc.com/bluetooth-intercom

SPYDERGAL

Spyder Garage

Default We also have these

Quote Originally Posted by CA-SPYDR View Post
    First, congrats on joining the girls who ride spyders movement, Joyce!

I've been using Sena for years, when I ride I like to stay in constant communication with my husband. Sena is very intuitive and easy to use, and it works with very few issues. However, there is always popping and crackling on the comms which bother my ears.

We found this new and amazing Bluetooth system, that is completely silent when we are not speaking, and when we do, the sound is crystal clear. It was very easy to install and sync. I highly recommend it:

http://www.zoozmc.com/bluetooth-intercom
    We have used ZooZ for over 3 years now. Easy to use and set up. But we use it for talking to each other only. I installed everything
    myself in the helmets work great for us. Bob
    900 Ryker Wifes

Spyder Garage

Default COMMO

We also use Zooz. If it's a long day, we plug them into the usb ports ( that I put in) during lunch. One of us tends to talk a lot.....
    Bob, k7xi. 2013 RTL

Spyder Garage

I used uClear for a number of years, and appreciated their good customer service and didn't want to have a mic in my face. My new helmet, a Neotec 2, was designed to integrate a Sena, and I do prefer it and would recommend it.
    2020 RT Limited in the ultra cool Deep Marsala Dark edition.

Baja Ron Anti-Sway Bar, LED reflectors, Lamonster USB Charger (and phone mount), Can-Am Low Windshield, X-Creen Tour Variable Windscreen Spoiler Blade, Power Commander, Dilithium powered Flux Capacitor (not yet fully functional).
    Maintained by Lou at Pirate Powersports.

Spyder Garage

Hello,
    The wife and I have “Scala Packtalk” communicators that are great.

Spyder Garage

Default Sena 30k

Quote Originally Posted by LLSailor View Post
    Just got my wife through the three wheel rider training that Can Am has been subsidizing. Unsurprisingly, it looks like we will be becoming a 2 Spyder family. Joyce has suggested that it might be a good idea to get helmets with some type of communication device. Neither of us are real tech types, so I'm asking what kind of communication type stuff is available for motorcycle helmets? I keep seeing Bluetooth, but all my teeth are a dingy white. Suggestions/opinions please?
    If you’re looking to speak w your wife while riding, look into Sena 30K. If u get the dual pack, they already come intercom paired to each other. And even simpler, it has the new “mesh” technology. So all u do is flip up the mesh antenna and it will automatically connect to anyone using mesh. I love mine, really easy set up and great features. Good luck, I did tons of research before choosing Sena 30K...but that’s part of the fun for me.

2018 RT Limited Metalic Champagne
    US Spyder Ryders Long Island NY Chapter
    2018 RT Limited , Metallic Champagne