Thread: Valve adj

Spyder Garage

Default Valve adj

2015 st sts bought new have 13k on it running mobil 1 10-40 croch rocket oil, no problems , book says valve adj time i do all svcs myself inc belt tens etc. oil change every 3k, should i ck valve adj or keep rollin?

Steve

Spyder Garage

There have been a number of threads about this subject and the consensus seems to be don't worry about it. Many have had them checked at 40,000 and needed no adjustment.
    Bob S

Spyder Garage

Just keep on rolling

Spyder Garage

YUP! I am one of the valve adjustment beta testers.

I did a valve check on my 2008 at 10K--before they changed it to 14K. Spent an extra $1K for the service (it's labor intensive). No adjustment needed.

I did the valve check on my 2010 at 28K. Another $1K spent. No adjustments needed. They failed to put in a new gasket. It leaked over the winter. They had to re-do it on their dime in the spring.

I am NOT going to do a valve check on my 2011 until at least 50K--if then. So far, at 30K miles no issues or indicators that it needs it.

In the beginning, it was thought to be overkill by BRP. I and others have also felt that "shady" dealers will charge for the work and not actually do it--because it usually results in a wasted effort. It is a quick $1K to add to the service bill.

There have been a few who do them religiously regardless. I usually say--its your spyder, its your money. Go for it.

Just my .02.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Good to hear!!! I did the valve check of my Vstrom and as easy as it is compared to the Spyder was still a PITA!! and the Strom is a shim under bucket also. I did all that work myself and yes, no adjustment needed.
    2012 RT A&C SE5
    2015 Victory Cross Country (Dyno tuned 118hp 116tq)
    2006 Triumph Rocket Dyno tuned 140hp 154tq)

Spyder Garage

Default Doning well at 40

I have 42,000 miles and alls well. I do ryde hard but it still depends. I have a mechanic's stethescope that I use to listen to the valves. Having done many a shim style valve adjustment I have stockpiled shims of various types and sizes...there in lies the problem when doing them yourself and you do need to adjust them. If you don't have a assortment of thicknesses on hand or your at the mercy of the dealer and they may not have them in stock for you though the shop will have them .... you need a friendly tech that will trade with you....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

What would be an indicator for needing this done?

Starting to hear a little more “popping” on deceleration?

Little more stumble when cold?

Trying to decide if valve clearance, dirty carb or something else?

Only at 16K miles, but 6 years.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SNOOPY View Post

Time is not a factor for valve issues - only hours on the engine ….. you don't have a CARB , it's a throttle body, but using a Quality injection cleaner would be my first step ……….if you have V-twin - hoses have been the biggest issue ( and time matters for hoses ). …..good luck ….Mike

Spyder Garage

I go with Blueknight911 on this. Pull the side panel off on the left side so you can see the throttle bodies. You will see to rubber hoses that come from the MAP sensor. Since these are rubber they are sensitive to time and heat and develop cracks. Easy to remove. Replace with silicone hose of the same diameter and length. You can buy the hose from NAPA in bulk and cut matching the original hose length. Give you plenty extra to share.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SNOOPY View Post

There is no indicator, If you get an indication it is doing damage usually. Generally if you hear something, it is loose which is likely caused by lack of lubrication or defective cam lobes. Generally under normal wear the valves sink into seats, which cause the lash adjustment to reduce (tighter clearance). The shim and bucket is a good system and usually accurate and durable. I personally don't think it would be a good idea do go beyond 30k without inspection and or adjustment under touring conditions. Just my .02c

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sputter View Post
    There is no indicator, If you get an indication it is doing damage usually. Generally if you hear something, it is loose which is likely caused by lack of lubrication or defective cam lobes. Generally under normal wear the valves sink into seats, which cause the lash adjustment to reduce (tighter clearance). The shim and bucket is a good system and usually accurate and durable. I personally don't think it would be a good idea do go beyond 30k without inspection and or adjustment under touring conditions. Just my .02c
    Spyderjockey checked His valves at 75,000 mi and they didn't need adjustment …… if you have the ability to check them yourself , do it ..… but to pay $650.00 for a dealer to CLAIM they did it, is well ………… JMHO …. Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sputter View Post
    I waited until 28K on my 2010. No adjustment was required. Cost me $1K to find that out.
    They also botched the job. Did not put in fresh gaskets. They had to re-do the job on their dime in the spring.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Ride, Smile and Enjoy! Valves will be just fine.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Time is not a factor for valve issues - only hours on the engine ….. you don't have a CARB , it's a throttle body, but using a Quality injection cleaner would be my first step ……….if you have V-twin - hoses have been the biggest issue ( and time matters for hoses ). …..good luck ….Mike

Yeah, meant throttle bodies. And I did replace the hoses a couple years ago, think I got them from BajaRon.

Still wondering why I think I hear a little extra “popping” than I’ve heard in the past.... maybe exhaust needing repacking? Lol

Spyder Garage

Snoopy,

When was your fuel filter last replaced? If never than I would start by replacing that. Also check your air filter to see if that is needing to be replaced.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PW2013STL View Post
    Snoopy,

When was your fuel filter last replaced? If never than I would start by replacing that. Also check your air filter to see if that is needing to be replaced.

We have a fuel filter? Lol I’ll check that thanks.

I have the aftermarket filter that was made by a member here. I’ll double check that too. Thanks