Thread: Valve adj

Spyder Garage

Default Valve adj

2015 st sts bought new have 13k on it running mobil 1 10-40 croch rocket oil, no problems , book says valve adj time i do all svcs myself inc belt tens etc. oil change every 3k, should i ck valve adj or keep rollin?

Steve

Spyder Garage

There have been a number of threads about this subject and the consensus seems to be don't worry about it. Many have had them checked at 40,000 and needed no adjustment.
    Bob S

Spyder Garage

Just keep on rolling

Spyder Garage

YUP! I am one of the valve adjustment beta testers.

I did a valve check on my 2008 at 10K--before they changed it to 14K. Spent an extra $1K for the service (it's labor intensive). No adjustment needed.

I did the valve check on my 2010 at 28K. Another $1K spent. No adjustments needed. They failed to put in a new gasket. It leaked over the winter. They had to re-do it on their dime in the spring.

I am NOT going to do a valve check on my 2011 until at least 50K--if then. So far, at 30K miles no issues or indicators that it needs it.

In the beginning, it was thought to be overkill by BRP. I and others have also felt that "shady" dealers will charge for the work and not actually do it--because it usually results in a wasted effort. It is a quick $1K to add to the service bill.

There have been a few who do them religiously regardless. I usually say--its your spyder, its your money. Go for it.

Just my .02.

Currently Owned: 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium), 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow), 2015 Vulcan 900 LTD

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) Pictures of 2008 and 2009 Spyders are in Alaska Albums 2009 and 2010.
    5 Spyders, 10 years, 145,375 miles

Moderating in moderation vindex1963's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Good to hear!!! I did the valve check of my Vstrom and as easy as it is compared to the Spyder was still a PITA!! and the Strom is a shim under bucket also. I did all that work myself and yes, no adjustment needed.
    2012 RT A&C SE5
    2015 Victory Cross Country (Dyno tuned 118hp 116tq)
    2015 Suzuki V-Strom 650 (work commuter)

Spyder Garage

Default Doning well at 40

I have 42,000 miles and alls well. I do ryde hard but it still depends. I have a mechanic's stethescope that I use to listen to the valves. Having done many a shim style valve adjustment I have stockpiled shims of various types and sizes...there in lies the problem when doing them yourself and you do need to adjust them. If you don't have a assortment of thicknesses on hand or your at the mercy of the dealer and they may not have them in stock for you though the shop will have them .... you need a friendly tech that will trade with you....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5