Spyder Garage

Default Stripped crankcase threads

Well dummy-ass me, was changing the oil on my wife's ST, and stripped the threads on the crankcase at the drain bolt. I was trying to loosen a Dimple hex bolt, and lost the orientation of the ratchet being on my side and overtightened.
    A Major Duh.

Now the bolt head just spins and won't come out. (Good luck drilling this heavy duty bolt out!) Now I have to take it in to a dealer, I guess unless you experts have some good advice

I've always done my own service on both Can Am's and plenty of it to avoid the dealer and save $$. Now I'm probably break-even.

Appreciate any advice, thanks

garageguy

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default RACHET ORIENTATION

Quote Originally Posted by garageguy View Post
    Well dummy-ass me, was changing the oil on my wife's ST, and stripped the threads on the crankcase at the drain bolt. I was trying to loosen a Dimple hex bolt, and lost the orientation of the ratchet being on my side and overtightened.
    A Major Duh.

Now the bolt head just spins and won't come out. (Good luck drilling this heavy duty bolt out!) Now I have to take it in to a dealer, I guess unless you experts have some good advice

I've always done my own service on both Can Am's and plenty of it to avoid the dealer and save $$. Now I'm probably break-even.

garageguy
    Been there done that ( but not to your extant ) .... I posted a while back my surefire way of never doing it again ... before I put the socket on the plug or whatever ... I set the ratchet to loosen or tighten the object depending on my purpose ........... good luck with the problem .. Mike

Spyder Garage

Careful riding your Spyder to the dealer with a stripped out drain plug. Probably not likely. But if it were to blow out of there you'd be in a world of hurt. A lot of oil right in front of your only rear tire and nothing left to lubricate your engine. I know it's a real hassle. But I'd consider trailering it.

Sorry for your issues. We've all done bone headed stuff. But the sympathy doesn't help all the much. I know.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member cyclelover63's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Sometimes,if you can get a box end or open end wrench on it,and pry it out with a screwdriver from under the head while you are turning it out,sometimes you can catch a thread to start it out. Did I say sometimes?...Good luck..

Spyder Garage

Default been there

Quote Originally Posted by garageguy View Post
    A Major Duh.

garageguy
    sounds like your DIMPLE PLUG may have snapped in half like mine did, but mine was just getting snug when it happened on my RT.
    had to replace the clutch cover, $800.00 + and I was back on the road and I REMOVED THE OTHER DIMPLE PLUG
    LEON
    2022 marsala red RTL
    AND

2014 RT S SE-6 COGNAC, 2010 RT 622 TRAILER TIMELESS BLACK
    BRP trailer hitch, Utopia back rest, Baja Ron sway bar , heim links. Elka stage 2 shocks front and rear.
    TricLed fender lights, saddlebag lights and mirror lights. LED headlights and fog lights, Wide vu mirrors.
    spyderpops LED bumpskid ,zippered cargo bag linings, Laser Alignment by Netzleys Tire, Stebal air horn
    stant gas cap,( Dimple oil plugs REMOVED ) JT dash mount.
    (Onboard) Lamonster Garage air compressor and intelliboost charger.

Spyder Garage

Default Depends....

How much work your willing to do. I would hold the bolt with an open end wrench, drill a small hole in the center, thread it and screw in a small bolt. This will give you a point with which to apply downward pressure as you turn the bolt. This worked for me on more than one occasion.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default Concur with Gene

If you are confident you can, drill a hole and drive in a screw or easy out. Turn the plug while pulling out, or, put a screwdriver on the edge while turning. If not, have it trailered to a dealer or machine shop. Once plug is removed, a timesert or the hole welded shut and drilled, and tapped to the proper size and pitch.
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

So what was the outcome?

Spyder Garage

If you decide to drill, use left hand drill bits. That way if it does catch it will unscrew instead of running the remaining part of the plug on up into the crankcase.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

Well, as others have said, you need to apply downward pressure while turning the bolt. Instead of drilling, I'd suggest using a pair of vise grips to pull down on the bolt while you turn.
    In either event, please keep us posted on how you make out.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by splake0 View Post
    So what was the outcome?
    over 2 years old. OP hasn't posted since July 2018. He probably won't be answering your question.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)