Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default F3 limited vs RT

If this has been asked before I apologize up front. Has anyone gone from an Rt to a F3 Limited and if so why and are you satisfied. Just thinking.
    Bob S

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

For us it was comfort. My wife and I both noticed our hips hurt on the RT. No problem on the F3L.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

This is basically 'what is the difference between the RT and F3. The best thing you can do is go to your dealer and look at them and take themfor a ride, see which you like best. They are both nice, and it depends on what you are looking for in a ride.

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you were?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GOZFST View Post
    If this has been asked before I apologize up front. Has anyone gone from an Rt to a F3 Limited and if so why and are you satisfied. Just thinking.
    I just traded in a Harley Davidson Ultra Classic for a 2018 F3 LTD.
    The dealer offered me a 2018 RT Limited, for a very "friendly" price. I sat on it, rode it a bit, then told him that I just couldn't get comfortable on it. My legs were cramping, the seat was squishy and it was not my cup of tea. Once I sat on the F3 Limited, I was in love. Very similar seating position to my Harley, with adjustable floor boards, a nicer and bigger top case, and just much sexier looking, to me, anyway.
    I am very happy with it!
    2018 F3 Limited , White pearl

Spyder Garage

I have owned 2 RT's, a 2012 and a 2015 and now have a 2017 F3L. There are pluses and negatives to both models. Both RT's I really felt cramped. I'm 6'2" with long legs, a 34 inch inseam. On the 2012, it had foot pegs and after a short ride my hips started to hurt some. I did purchase some web floorboards and that helped some, as I could move my legs forward and backward some. I reason I traded to the 2015 RTS was for the engine and trans upgrade. But I still felt cramped. I guess the pluses for the RT's were storage area and adjustable windshield. When I test rode a F3 in 2016 I fell in love with the bike because the adjustability in both the floor boards and handlebars. But in 2016 they didn't offer a rear trunk. Thank goodness in 2017 the F3L came with a rear trunk cause I need the storage capacity which was pretty close to the capacity on the RT's. But I do miss the adjusting windshield though. The F3 just fit my riding style more than the RT did.

2017 F3 Limited in Intense Red Pearl

2008 Triumph Rocket (SOLD)

2002 Honda VTX 1800 C ( SOLD)

2014 Triumph Thunderbird Commander

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I do prefer the RT for myself. BUT I am only 5' 7" tall and weight 155 pounds. I could see how someone 6 foot or so might be uncomfortable. I am riding an RT and have put 20,000 miles on it this year. I test road the F-3 on a real hot day and I sure noticed the heat off the engine. I really like the looks of them and won't say for sure that I won't trade for one when I do trade. I do think they are sporty looking.
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Lamonster Belt Tensioner w/ larger roller
    Spyderpops Missing Belt Guard
    Garmin's GPS

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the replies. I'm pretty short, so the current 2012 RT is not cramped at all for me. My interest is getting the new engine and trans. Was just wondering what are the reasons people went with one over the other. I've never been a fan of the feet forward riding position and that might be a deal breaker for me. I'm in no rush and make it a policy to never buy vehicles new.
    Bob S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Under 6'

F 3 killed my back, love the RT position. You must test drive. Also suggest the newer motor. Good luck.

Spyder Garage

I drove an RT for 2 days on a test run, it killed my hips. I’m 6’2” and I have an F3Ltd. It fits me like a glove and no hip pain. Nuff said.

2017 F3 Limited
    Position 5 brake rod and foot pads
    Garmin Zumo 396 GPS
    Lamonster bottle holder
    ShowChrome spiral antenna
    Lamonster 19” Freedom Shield Windshield

Spyder Garage

I'm 5'10" and my passenger is 5'2". The RT fits us well. We could not adjust the passenger foot rest for her to comfortably reach on the F3. The RT at it's highest setting is perfect and takes pressure of her legs.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Of course it is up to your preference. But.. I am 6'2 and a large build. I drove a 2016 RTS and loved it at the time. I traded it in at the beggining of this summer for a 2018 F3 limited.

RT- Better wind deflection. Easier to hear the radio. More comfortable for the passenger.
    F3- I have it in position 5, much more comfortable ride being able to stretch the legs out better. Stock windshield sucks, too windy. I upgraded to a 25 inch F4 customs windshied, does much better.
    not nearly as comfortable for a passenger especially on road trips. Storage on the F3 is terrible compared to the RT. Frunk holds nothing. I put my leather jacket in there, that was all it would hold.
    2018 F3 Limited , Intense Red

Spyder Garage

Default Lamonsters NBV Highway pegs let you stretch out on the RT

Lamonsters NBV Highway pegs let you stretch out Wife traded her RTS for a 15 F3T - she liked the "hot rod red" look and enjoys it. After about 8,000 miles on the 11 RT

(wife already had 70K) I traded up to the 15 RT with 1330 and SE6. Still happy with the RT ryde and the storage!

The NBV highway pegs make it easy to roll on down the highway--45,000 and counting.
    07 Shadows, Aero, Spirit gone but not forgotten
    03 Harley Sportster, 07 RK moved on
    11 RT- 76,000 mi, 15 RT-S- 44,000 mi, traded for current 15 base RT and 16 F3T
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss

Spyder Garage

Default To each their own

I'm 5'11. I have an F3-T. When I ryde, I absolutely enjoy it and always try to find a roundabout way of getting to my destination, or simply ryde around without a destination.
    For me, it is so comfortable. I have my pegs at the middle position and usually put my legs over them so my Achilles tendon is resting on the pegs.
    Anyway, I had to bring it into the shop for its 9300 mile service and the shop gave me an RT for a loaner. Absolutely hated it and if they were the only model available, I do not think I would be a Spyder owner. For me, sitting upright like you have to on the RT, was not only uncomfortable, I felt kinda silly looking, looking like I was sitting at attention. (To each their own and I'm not knocking anyone that has an RT) The throttle response was not as quick as the F3-T. I really felt like I was ryding a 3 wheel scooter and that I would only ryde it for commuting and nothing else. The ONLY thing I did like better on the RT is that it is SO much more smoother than the F3-T.
    SpyderSkeets
    Ashburn, VA
    2017 F3-T SE6

Spyder Garage

Did not make the actual move from RT to F3. Was considering it a couple years ago. Wanted that red F3 without the travel trunk on the back.

I got as far as a test sit. To me it felt like a Tri Glide. I did not like the ergonomics.

So...I still have two RT's. I like the "sofa" effect better.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default RT to F3 limited

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post
    For us it was comfort. My wife and I both noticed our hips hurt on the RT. No problem on the F3L.
    I agree, I had to go to F3 Limited from an RT Limited to keep my hips from hurting me! Love the F3 Limited, had two RT Limited's before!

Spyder Garage

This may be a contrary viewpoint but as others have said, it's up to each individual. I am 6'-4" with a 35" inseam. I don't feel cramped on the RT, I like the upright "in control" posture, and I find the seat quite comfy although comfort is especially subjective. I do not like the seating position of the F3 but more importantly to me, there is a plastic ridge on the F3 that was already digging into the side of my knees as I sat on it in the showroom. That was a big turnoff for me and should be considered if you have long legs - it wouldn't affect anyone with shorter legs. Last, I like sitting up high on the RT vs. down low on the F3 - sitting high isn't as sporty but does make you more visible to cars and that is IMO a safety consideration. Again, you may have a completely different opinion and that's perfectly okay.
    2017 RTS , Blue

Spyder Garage

December of 2017 I bought a RTS (2017). I was very happy with it. Then I started riding with a group and started to pay more attention on the F3. Eventually rode one. Sitting on both, just sitting, I felt like the RT is more comfortable but when I rode the F3, it was more fun. Took my wife's F3L for long rides. What a difference. Riding... F3 was more comfortable for me than my Rt. I traded my RTS for a F3L (2018). I couldn't be happier. I enjoy more. I think its preference. Sitting on both machines its not enough. You actually have to ride it. They ride different. Their style its different.

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I switched because the 16 F3 limited is just a bad ass ryde. Not so much the 17 18 and 19 though. JMHO!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate looks at -- View Post
    I switched because the 16 F3 limited is just a bad ass ryde. Not so much the 17 18 and 19 though. JMHO!
    I have a 16 f3t also love the gearing.

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Yes the T maintained the Large Sprocket while the 17,18,19 Limited got the old slow RT smaller rear sprocket! Loads of fun!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chefex View Post
    Of course it is up to your preference. But.. I am 6'2 and a large build. I drove a 2016 RTS and loved it at the time. I traded it in at the beggining of this summer for a 2018 F3 limited.
    RT- Better wind deflection. Easier to hear the radio. More comfortable for the passenger.
    F3- not nearly as comfortable for a passenger especially on road trips.
    This is why we are sticking with our '15 RT Limited. Happy Wife, Happy Life. PLUS, the lid on the F3T/L top case is the flimsiest POS. Most owners have added a luggage rack to stiffen the lid so it closes correctly. I'm not a fan of the F3 "stretched out" riding position, and the additional pieces of the U-Fit system aren't free(they should be).
    Mike
    2021 Marsala Red Metallic RT Limited

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Old,slow.........

My " old slow RT..." is just fine for my wife and I. It's long legged gearing make running along (or flying low ) in hinterlands of Nevada a breeze ( literally ). Some of the truckers and others like to do well over the limit, so I'm not spinning the motor so tight. It's speed up or get blown off the road. But in the fun factor, I'm seriously looking at the ECU flash.

It's like my old slow V-Max ( which I couldn't leave stock ) ------ I ride like an old man---- just try to keep up. Please feel free to substitute ski for ride also.

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

F3 mort comfortable for me a short ryder. I had no adjustment on the RT. Wife likes back seat says she's just as comfortable traded in a 2010 rt for the 2021 F3

Spyder Garage

Not that it really hurts to add to the collected info in this case, but you probably shouldn't expect too many of the posters from back in 2018 to respond. . Some maybe, just not all!

But welcome to posting anyway! It's always good to finally get that first one up!

Cheers!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

I know, old thread, but the info is still valuable. I am 5'9". I came from decades of riding Harleys (most recently a TriGlide), so no surprise I like the F3 riding position much better. I recently finish a 3600+ mile road trip on my 18 F3L. Great Spyder for the road. Only limitation for me was it would be nice if there was a little more storage.

AND ALL SPYDERS SHOULD COME WITH A HANDBRAKE!!!!!
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2018 F3 Limited - Intense Red Pearl . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .