Hybrid View

Spyder Garage

Default Hand Brake not fully working

Hello, I'm a new rider, I bought a 2014 ST-Limited and it came with a icsi hand brake That's a big reason I got this one. After riding and learning I've noticed the hand brake does not give consistent braking power on every pull. It definitely doesn't give the braking power that the foot brake does, and sometimes it gives almost no brake. The spyder has 1600 miles and was in great condition and I see there is plenty of fluid in the brake lever tank. I know these were an after market add on. Shouldn't this work just as well as the foot brake? Any ideas what to check?

Before people say just use the foot brake here's my problem. The position of how your legs come down and feet rest on the foot pad make the break pedal not work for me. I just can't seem to lift my foot up in that position to brake easily. I'm guessing due to some minor injury I had years ago, that might be making this hard/not work for me.

Thanks for any help

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I think you are going to have to contact the manufacturer?
    2014 RTL Platinum

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default ISCI Breke

The ISCI hand brake is the only one on the market, there are no others.
    If you are having problems with it call "JEFF" at ISCI he is the mfg. owner.
    334-277-2224
    Industrial Specialty Co. Inc.
    50 Forest Hills Drive
    Montgomery, AL 36109
    Ride Safe
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Green1 View Post
    Hello, I'm a new rider, I bought a 2014 ST-Limited and it came with a icsi hand brake That's a big reason I got this one. After riding and learning I've noticed the hand brake does not give consistent braking power on every pull. It definitely doesn't give the braking power that the foot brake does, and sometimes it gives almost no brake. The spyder has 1600 miles and was in great condition and I see there is plenty of fluid in the brake lever tank. I know these were an after market add on. Shouldn't this work just as well as the foot brake? Any ideas what to check?

Before people say just use the foot brake here's my problem. The position of how your legs come down and feet rest on the foot pad make the break pedal not work for me. I just can't seem to lift my foot up in that position to brake easily. I'm guessing due to some minor injury I had years ago, that might be making this hard/not work for me.

Thanks for any help

Spyder Garage

Default Well....

There have been those that have said it is not what it should be. By all means check with the Mgft but you could also modify your foot brake to maybe suit your situation. There are extensions and many , myself included, that have made their own.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the info everyone. Thanks for the phone number and name. I'll call them tomorrow.

Spyder Garage

Jeff & Robert at ISCI are great guys to work with, very customer friendly!
    It may just be that the hand brake needs to be bled. They can be a little finicky.
    Even with a good setup, the braking power from the hand brake won't be as good as with the foot brake...
    2014 RT-Ltd , Cognac