Spyder Garage

Default What happened when I took the Spyder in for and alignment.

I was excited to find out that our local dealer did the true track laser alignment. When I went to pick it up this is what I found.
    IMG_1514.jpgIMG_1513.jpg

It is on both sides of both tie rods. It looked like he used a pipe wrench or channel locks. I went and got the service manager and showed him. He went and got the mechanic. He said that he used the same wrench that he had been using for alignments for years. Supposedly some fancy snap-on wrench. I was not happy and told them they needed something better than that. I can now look down on either side while I am driving and see some nice big scratches. Kind of like taking your car in to get an oil change and they put a big scratch in your hood. The gouges are fairly deep. I guess I am going to try to find some paint that matches and touch it up.
    Last edited by kdp1308; 09-30-2018 at 09:01 PM.

Spyder Garage

I would be making the dealer replace them with new ones. They damaged them so they should be the ones fixing them.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

The mechanic admitted he used the same wrench. He didn't deny it. He could have used a cloth to protect finish

Spyder Garage

You should tell them they need to replace the parts they damaged. There is no way the mechanic has been doing alignments on other customer bikes and none of them have noticed scratches. He may have used the same wrench but maybe on all the others he used a cloth or something and just forgot this time. That would drive me nuts to look down and see those scratches all the time.

Spyder Garage

Default Bummer.....

Did they even offer to touch it up or replace the rods...?? We always used a wrench a size larger and a rubber or nylon strap.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default Wow!

Insist on new tie rods. We have done a few alignments, and never did that! OK, I lied; more than a few. He used a vise grips. No 16mm box end wrench would crush a tie rod!
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Very Active Member BoilerAnimal's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I'm a pretty easy going guy but if I had damage like that done from a supposedly experienced mechanic I would have had a high speed come-apart! There is no way that something like that should be deemed acceptable.

And what's worse is when they hand you a bill and expect to be paid for sub-standard work!
    On the road again...........and forever young!

2013 RT-S SE 5

Yesterday is a cancelled check.
    Tomorrow is a promissory note.
    Today is cash.......spend it wisely.

Spyder Garage

you can say the dealers name, this is America. I am betting you
    are talking about Marine World in Wichita ?
    I see by your pictures the type of tool that was used.
    There should certainly some "no mar" jaws for something like that.
    I have had up and down service there, but they are like the nearest
    dealer, before Omaha. But those are stories for another day.
    Plus I just had a very pleasant experience with a tire change a couple days ago.
    Good luck with the cosmetics.
    Flatlander, Navy Veteran, Widower
    Loved my 2014 RTS SE6 Pearl white
    but have a new love now,
    my 2017 RTS SE6 Champagne metallic (Champ)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PW2013STL View Post
    I would be making the dealer replace them with new ones. They damaged them so they should be the ones fixing them.
    Exactly right they said they did now fix it!! I'd be pissed!

Spyder Garage

It was Marine World in Wichita. To be fair the service manager did offer to do whatever I wanted to make it right. I really did think about asking for new tie rods but they would be the ones replacing them and aligning it again. I would end up with the same thing all over again. If he would have used a wrench and put a bunch of torque on it the rods would only have 2 corners rounded or partly rounded not all four and it wouldn't have dug into the aluminum like that.
    They look like they are powder coated. They don't look flat or gloss, maybe a semi-gloss?

Spyder Garage

Throw another log on the fire for dealer replacement of the tierods. Insist that the technician use a 16 mm open end wrench as Joe mentioned. If they have to buy a "new" wrench, TS!
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

I've never wrenched on the tie rods, but would they even be that tight if the jam nuts were loosened first? Good grief, even a good Crescent wrench would have been a better choice....What kind of Spyder dealer doesn't have metric wrenches? Tell 'em you want new tie rods
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Another card on the pile for new parts.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'll bet BRP specs the wrench to use for that and it isn't a vice grips! I think the idiot forgot to loosen the nuts first and just used a big enough wrench to turn it anyway!
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kdp1308 View Post
    It was Marine World in Wichita. To be fair the service manager did offer to do whatever I wanted to make it right. I really did think about asking for new tie rods but they would be the ones replacing them and aligning it again. I would end up with the same thing all over again. If he would have used a wrench and put a bunch of torque on it the rods would only have 2 corners rounded or partly rounded not all four and it wouldn't have dug into the aluminum like that.
    They look like they are powder coated. They don't look flat or gloss, maybe a semi-gloss?
    Tell the service manager you want a BRP-certified mechanic working on your bike. There is no excuse for this kind of sloppy work.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

In all my years of using the wrong tool, I have had my share of vice-grip episodes. With a good degree of certainty, I can see vice-grip teeth marks on your tie-rods. Time for new ones and having the job done correctly. Don't let the dealer and his mechanic get by with this sloppy work.
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kdp1308 View Post
    He needs to get rid of his pipe wrench and buy an adjustable with nylon jaws
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Did they offer to replace those tie-rods yet?

They certainly should...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member SteveLaoyster's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cptjam View Post
    Insist on new tie rods. We have done a few alignments, and never did that! OK, I lied; more than a few. He used a vise grips. No 16mm box end wrench would crush a tie rod!
    ViseGrips with curved jaws!
    AKA Jud Smales, Four Year Spyder Ryder!
    "Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati"

The Critter 2016 RT-S
    Cat Bypass from Lamonster
    BajaRon Sway Bar
    Hella dual horns with relay
    BRP Hitch with trailer module
    Foam Grips
    Adjustable Air Deflectors
    Driver & Passenger Gel Pads in Seat
    Shorty antenna
    Ultraguard half cover
    Gremlin bell from my son
    Break Stripe Kit from Wrap My Spyder
    2016 RT-S , stock not yet Pearl White

Spyder Garage

And the saga continues! I am going thru the Spyder over the winter and while installing new brake pads I figured out that some of the A-arm bushing are shot. I wondered why it didn't seem to handle a whole lot better after the alignment. I had a good 1/8" play on the lower right A-arm. I know when you take a car in for an alignment the first thing they check is the condition of all of the front suspension components. I am doing a lot to my Spyder over the winter because I bought it used this fall. The only thing I had the dealer do is the alignment because they had the proper tools to do it right (I thought). To get it done right I will have to do it myself or maybe take a drive to visit Lamont in the spring. After all new A-arm bushings, of course. It looks like some bolts and sleeves also. I don't think they were ever greased and on at least one the bolt was not tight enough. I haven't got them all apart yet.