Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    Well all the codes are Can Bus communication errors of some kind. Multiple modules involved. So damaged or shorted Can Bus wires. That could come from some recent work being done. If nothing done recently. Then I would look for water in one of the connectors.
    Last work was on the shock and its rubber cushion, front tires. Living in AZ...water/rain is not an option!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lew L View Post
    From the you tube vids after the Eagles , about strange lonely cities:

We were in Tonopah last week on our way to Vegas.

The "Clown Motel" is a must see.

Lew L
    I've stayed there! Motorcycle trip.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by prmurat View Post
    Last work was on the shock and its rubber cushion, front tires. Living in AZ...water/rain is not an option!!
    So,where did you take the bike? Have they diagnosed the problem?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    So,where did you take the bike? Have they diagnosed the problem?
    It is now at the Peoria Ridenow shop...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    I've stayed there! Motorcycle trip.
    That " Clown Motel" stay may have changed you forever!!!! .

LewL
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Good luck with your repair. I don't want to speak negatively about anyone I have not dealt with and I have not dealt with the Peoria RN shop. I have NEVER had good experiences with the RN shops in the East Valley. Hope it works out for you.....
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    Good luck with your repair. I don't want to speak negatively about anyone I have not dealt with and I have not dealt with the Peoria RN shop. I have NEVER had good experiences with the RN shops in the East Valley. Hope it works out for you.....
    Last time my RT was at the RN Phoenix, they did not find the problem for 2 months, broke a mirror spring and finally took it to Peoria... half of the body bolts were not fixed and they lied about it during all the time. Peoria at least has a Gold certified mechanic... last time he installed the new shock rubber, forgot the new shock in the frunk and broke the seat mounting. I really miss my dealer in Livermore CA ( and a lot of things from the Bay!!); part of the sh... living in AZ I guess!!

Spyder Garage

For what it's worth, looks like they're consistent.
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Default WOW !

For what it's worth, looks like they're consistent.
    that took me by surprise ! if any need to go too a shop , and I have the means , ( as in the cycle is at my home ) I will take off the skins myself , save money , and kind of know where the bolts are at , and where they will go back on ... ( just picked - up this 2011 , and it had been opened at the battery area couple times and I noticed the lower skin at the foot rest position , the tabs were on the out side of the lowest portion of body work ( if not correct , will rub nice wear marks at both tab areas , also a couple rubber grommets missing , and a smaller under seat bolt missing , easy fixes just something I have seen quite a bit from other folks getting in a hurry )

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Some news

Last time my RT was at the RN Phoenix, they did not find the problem for 2 months, broke a mirror spring and finally took it to Peoria... half of the body bolts were not fixed and they lied about it during all the time. Peoria at least has a Gold certified mechanic... last time he installed the new shock rubber, forgot the new shock in the frunk and broke the seat mounting. I really miss my dealer in Livermore CA ( and a lot of things from the Bay!!); part of the sh... living in AZ I guess!!
    So it looks like the problem can be in 2 places: the VCM or a wire in the wiring loom... both of them are expensive and I must admit I have no trust in changing the entire wiring.... too much work to be done perfectly. Dealer is talking with BRP, testing here and there and at a loss!!!
    just when the riding season is here in AZ!! And... should do a valves adjustment too... and a rear tire!! Time to sell a kidney???

Spyder Garage

Default What valve adjustment????????

So it looks like the problem can be in 2 places: the VCM or a wire in the wiring loom... both of them are expensive and I must admit I have no trust in changing the entire wiring.... too much work to be done perfectly. Dealer is talking with BRP, testing here and there and at a loss!!!
    just when the riding season is here in AZ!! And... should do a valves adjustment too... and a rear tire!! Time to sell a kidney???
    Ther is no requirement to do a valve adjustment on a ACE 1330 engine as it has hydraulic lifters.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Today's new... " can we bill you another 1/2 hour to wire the VCM directly (to the battery??) to make sure it either the VCM or the wire loom..." Basically 10 days in the shop and still no clue!!
    Looking now for the BRP customer service...any contacts there? Edit...just called the general line at BRP: "the dealer escalated the problem to BRP..." I feel better now (sarcasm!).
    Thks!

Last edited by prmurat; 10-10-2018 at 01:38 PM.

Spyder Garage

If the dealer is trying to push a valve adjustment on you...it is time to RUN and run fast.

1330 does not have shims that need adjusting.

Most people find valve adjustments unnecessary anyway. Like a good little boy--I did two of them on two different 998's. Both a thousand dollars and no adjustments needed. Shady dealers like to play this game so they can collect another $1K for doing no work. Caveat Emptor.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Looking now for the BRP customer service...any contacts there?
    For reference: BRP.Care@brp.com

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Things are moving

Today's new... " can we bill you another 1/2 hour to wire the VCM directly (to the battery??) to make sure it either the VCM or the wire loom..." Basically 10 days in the shop and still no clue!!
    Looking now for the BRP customer service...any contacts there? Edit...just called the general line at BRP: "the dealer escalated the problem to BRP..." I feel better now (sarcasm!).
    Thks!
    Looks like even at BRP they do not agree on the causes/effects... so dealer decided to choose one of the solution (the wire loom tested OK for him): the VCM will be changed. In between the 2.1/2 hours of testing, the VCM and the 5 hours of work...$1800!!
    Dealer is trying to get BRP to make an effort on the VCM price and/or a deal in case they have to go for anything else if it does not work. Almost BMW prices!!!

Spyder Garage

One thousand eight hundred dollars of experimenting and guessing...... so far. That is unacceptable
    Semper Fi

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

And... what is your solution?

One thousand eight hundred dollars of experimenting and guessing...... so far. That is unacceptable

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

And... what is your solution?
    Philippe, have you tried contacting BRP Care yourself yet? I agree the way the dealer is going about this is flat wrong, considering it may have been their suspension air repair that caused the current problem in the first place.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default And some people.....

Wonder why Spyders are gaining a poor reputation. It's not the bike itself, or the owner. It's the company and their dealer network.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The service manual describes how to test the VCM, but it also says the VCM is built very rugged and a failure would be extremely rare. I have never heard of the diesel sound you describe either. Curious to hear what the solution is and hope you dont end up just throwing money at dead ends. This kind of stuff is definitely what hurts the Spyder's reputation. I have always been a believer that a shop should not charge a customer for a repair that did not fix the problem. Why should you have to open your wallet while they take guesses at the solution. Good luck my friend!
    2021 Sea to Sky RT , Highland green

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

When I talked to BRP, even choosing French to sound more "local", the young lady just told me that the dealer did escalate the request within BRP...end of the story! Rugged or not the VCM can have a "dry" weld in one of the circuit or have been badly put together 4 years ago. When a vehicle has more electronic than a basic car these things have to happen!? My car has its ABS light on for a while, it is a known problem within the ABS module... has to re-weld a contact in it etc etc.
    What I do not get is the absence of definite diagnostic like if it was black magic!! Hope Bombardier' trains & planes are not built with the same attitude!!
    Last edited by prmurat; 10-12-2018 at 03:19 PM.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

When I talked to BRP, even choosing French to sound more "local", the young lady just told me that the dealer did escalate the request within BRP...end of the story! Rugged or not the VCM can have a "dry" weld in one of the circuit or have been badly put together 4 years ago. When a vehicle has more electronic than a basic car these things have to happen!? My car has its ABS light on for a while, it is a known problem within the ABS module... has to re-weld a contact in it etc etc.
    What I do not get is the absence of definite diagnostic like if it was black magic!! Hope Bombardier' trains & planes are not built with the same attitude!!
    Well.... 2 weeks, over $2000... and limp home from the dealer to home!!! Usual codes: C0063, C006C, U0073, U0155, U0122.... nothing changed in spite of all the parts changed!!! I do not want to jump to any conclusions, but what a POS @ 29000 miles!!!

Spyder Garage

Well.... 2 weeks, over $2000... and limp home from the dealer to home!!! Usual codes: C0063, C006C, U0073, U0155, U0122.... nothing changed in spite of all the parts changed!!! I do not want to jump to any conclusions, but what a POS @ 29000 miles!!!
    WHAT A DEALER!!!!! They don't know what's wrong, they don't know how to fix it, they just take your money and send you out the door the same as you came in. Your experience (and mine) are exactly why my bike will NEVER see a RideNow shop ever again. I hope they returned all the good parts they took off your bike while doing their experimenting...... Sad tale indeed.
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Stories like this leave me scared ****less to take my bike anywhere
    2015 RTL , Yes Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by LeftCoast View Post
    Stories like this leave me scared ****less to take my bike anywhere
    Don't let it discourage you. The vast majority of Spyders are very reliable. I know Pierre and what he has been through with this bike. I think the dealer screwed up an earlier repair to the air suspension system, which led to this current issue.

The weakest part of the Spyder support system I think is the dealers who make more money off the ATV's, snowmobiles and PWC's and don't want to invest in the necessary training for a master mechanic for the Spyder (just not enough volume). Motorcycle dealers like Sierra Cycles in Sierra Vista have a better track record.
    2014 RTL Platinum