Spyder Garage

Default phone overheat with BRP connect

My wifes 2018 F3L has been working fine with BRP connect and the GPS. The other day it was a very nice day (not hot) and while we were out for a ride her GPS quit and she got a overheating notification on the phone?
    I thought I had seen some posts here on the forum but after doing several searches I could not locate those posts.

My wife uses a Samsung S8 plus and for the first couple of months during the hot summer she has had no problems.

John

Spyder Garage

Default phone or bike ?

what did the temp gauge read on the cycle ? might have been settings in the phone app were low settings ? ( just a thought . or Samsung phone was about to blow it`s battery )

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by youngers View Post
    what did the temp gauge read on the cycle ? might have been settings in the phone app were low settings ? ( just a thought . or Samsung phone was about to blow it`s battery )
    Can you explain further on what you mean by "settings in the phone app were low settings"? My wife said the temp gauge was not hot.

John

Spyder Garage

My Samsung phone has froze up an overheated a couple times from just text messaging in my house. Get so hot you didn't want it in your hand. I just shut down phone for awhile til it has cooled down an then restart the phone up an it's good to go. Has done it 3 times over the course of a year an a half. Bought it outright an didn't buy a extended warranty. I just keep using it til it bites the dust. Wife Mortorola phone has overheated an froze up too. Same thing shut phone down let it cool off restart phone.

Spyder Garage

If you have an case protector on the phone it will cause overheating or if an app gets frozen it will cause the processor to work double time causing excess heat. My pixel does it running google maps/removed my case and it has no issues-this was in an air conditioned vehicle too.
    2018 RT-L , Blue

Spyder Garage

Weren't the Samsung 8's the ones that had the "fire" problems early on????

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Weren't the Samsung 8's the ones that had the "fire" problems early on????
    The Note 8, not galaxy 8

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I believe it was the Samsung’s Galaxy 7s that got too hot to handle.

If if the battery is less than 50% then charging AND using the phone a lot will heat things up a bit. Ya, a case will keep the heat in so the easy solution is to remove it. I have the iPhone and even though it was ok in the front cargo, I mount it on top of the dash for cooling and better accessibility.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Very Active Member Fatcycledaddy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Flamewinger View Post
    I believe it was the Samsung’s Galaxy 7s that got too hot to handle.

If if the battery is less than 50% then charging AND using the phone a lot will heat things up a bit. Ya, a case will keep the heat in so the easy solution is to remove it. I have the iPhone and even though it was ok in the front cargo, I mount it on top of the dash for cooling and better accessibility.
    it was the 7, 8 has not had any problems. I have had an 8 for over a year and the only time it says overheating is when it is in its case, in direct sun. When i take it out of the case and even direct sun doesn't make it overheat.
    I purchased an aluminum case for it, it is much heavier , but the aluminum helps to transfer the heat away from the phone also. Has not over heated yet with it on it.
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Revrent View Post
    My wifes 2018 F3L has been working fine with BRP connect and the GPS. The other day it was a very nice day (not hot) and while we were out for a ride her GPS quit and she got a overheating notification on the phone?
    I thought I had seen some posts here on the forum but after doing several searches I could not locate those posts.

My wife uses a Samsung S8 plus and for the first couple of months during the hot summer she has had no problems.

John
    You need to get that phone out of the pizza oven. My android deteck 60 phone goes into overheat mode. Some iphone folks have reported the same thing. It's just to hot in there even on a not very hot day. I put a phone holder on the handlebars. Problem solved.

I have also uninstalled the BRP Connect app from my phone. Just use the phone screen for GPS. Works better and bigger screen.

2018 F3 LIMITED