Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Ryker 600 vs 900?

Ok- Many are probably wondering about the performance difference to Save $$$.
    The 600 Weight 590 HP 47 Tor 35 Top Speed ?
    Yamaha T-Max Weight 500+- HP 43 Tor 46 Top Speed 100Mph Listed?
    Can anyone provide experience with the 600 or similar size Scooter/SkiDoo engine as to speed and acceleration?

I know the 900 will Push the Spark to 50 MPH and Larger GTI to 44 MPH. Have over 150 hours on them and love them!
    Who has experience will the younger 600 2 cyinder and will it be Peppy enough for 65 Highway and Accelerate in the twisties?

Hopefully we will get More rider experience and videos of BOTH!!!
    Last edited by Sarge707; 09-29-2018 at 04:48 PM.

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

Default Well...

I would imagine that it would be similar to the difference between the GSXR 600 and the 1000 or similar in other brands. Don't know much about sleds so can't help there but I would guess if shopping you would have to consider the use you are going to give it your size and ryding preference, is there an insurance difference between them as to cc size..?? taxes/registration fees etc.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

In 2000, I bought a Yamaha 650--that was a two cylinder. Okay on the flats but when I brought it to AK in 2001--I sold it the next year. Had to shift to second to get up a lot of the hills.

In 1978 I bought a Kawasaki 650/4. That was a really nice bike. Would blow the doors off of a lot of bikes. Drove that many times between Duluth MN and Ft. Wayne IN.

Guessing the 600 Ryker will pop up somewhere in between. If I were to buy one or the other--it would be the 900.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 10-01-2018 at 01:01 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default 600 cc /cvt trans/performance

I have a 2003 Suzuki 650 cc Burgman scooter, weighs in at 525 lbs, with 55 horsepower. The claim when they came out was top end of 110, I've personally had mine up to 90 with plenty to go. Will embarass most Harley's in acceleration and currently costs about $11,200. Similar in horsepower, weight and cost with the Ryker. With regard to a CVT trans it is excellent, no problems in 15 years of riding based on this I would think there will be little problems with the Ryker's particularly the Rally model. I realize I'm comparing two different brands but the technology is proven. Have already spoken to my dealer this will be another toy to go with my 2014 RT.
    2019 Rally , GMUltra Violet

Spyder Garage

My feeling is the 900 in the Ryker will be the hot seller. BRP uses the 900 ACE in many other power sports vehicles, so it doesn't surprise me to see this offered in the Ryker. The 600 ACE was first introduced in the Skidoo snowmobiles if I'm not mistaken, and eventually the 900 ACE to follow as well. This season, model year 2019 the 900 ACE will be offered with a turbo version on several Skidoo sleds. Some of the dyno numbers for this Turbo charged 900 ACE Skidoo are coming in at close to 160 HP. I would say it will be just a matter of time before we see a turbo 900 in either the Ryker or the Spyder.
    My dealer will have a demo Ryker sometimes next spring. I will surely try it out and give my 2 cents worth. Either way, the 600 or 900 Rykers should be lots of fun to ride!

Spyder Garage

Default CHOICES

Sarge, I have only ridden the 900, but I've spoken to a number of BRP staff that have ridden both and I think for the vast majority of the riders, especially the experienced riders the 900 will be the choice. I don't expect there to be much if any difference in top end speed, that is a clutching issue, but the 900 is reportedly much quicker.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge707 View Post
    Can anyone provide experience with the 600 or similar size Scooter/SkiDoo engine as to speed and acceleration?

I know the 900 will Push the Spark to 50 MPH and Larger GTI to 44 MPH. Have over 150 hours on them and love them!
    Who has experience will the younger 600 2 stroke and will it be Peppy enough for 65 Highway and Accelerate in the twisties?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Triumphcycleman View Post
    Sarge, I have only ridden the 900, but I've spoken to a number of BRP staff that have ridden both and I think for the vast majority of the riders, especially the experienced riders the 900 will be the choice. I don't expect there to be much if any difference in top end speed, that is a clutching issue, but the 900 is reportedly much quicker.
    Thanks! I personally will get the 900 but I'm sure some young people might get the 600 for basic transportation- Hopefully we will see more videos of both in action so they can decide! Gonna be a L O N G winter waiting.

Spyder Garage

I'm shopping for one for the wife.She's a first time ryder long time pillion.Never had a bike license.600 is the go for her because it's learner approved here whereas the 900 requires her to have 18 months experience without a blemish.Given the lower price point,ease of operation and immediate jump on and start riding after her initial 2 day course i would imagine many more would see it that way and join the clan.900 should attract the fast and furious,minimalist,mod squad, penny wise crowd too, a winner for BRP all round.
    2017 F3S Daytona , Circuit Yellow Metalic

Spyder Garage

Default some 600 info

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...er-on-the-Road

In that forum, the "Pirate Looks at" person rode the 600. Multiple posts from them in that thread gives some info on the 600. They claim they went 80 mph until the wind bothered them and it had plenty of zip to it. That's my memory of what they said. Go check it out.

I think on the official website it also states the 600 does NOT have eco mode or sport mode when you look at the comparison chart under instrumentation I seen somewhere on these forums. I'll try to add it.

I'm curious about the 600 too. I don't see the need for me to have a 900 if the 600 can get to 80 mph in a timely manner. That's plenty fast for me to ride and enjoy it. I don't see why they wouldn't have sport mode on the 600, it uses the same program as the 900 I'd bet. Be fun to fish tail in a 600 Wonder what the mpg's will be on both engines and speeds. I wish there'd be more info on these things.

41442034_1982911275081408_3673627154815385600_o.jpg

Spyder Garage

Default 600 or 900

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge707 View Post

Who has experience will the younger 600 2 cyinder and will it be Peppy enough for 65 Highway and Accelerate in the twisties?

I've never owned obviously a 600, 900, or 1330cc. But it has been my privilege to own (and still do), a 998cc. it may get to the point, where i'll have the 2012 Can Am Spyder RT-SE5 so decked out thatI won't want to trade up. -tom
    Last edited by WilderThomas; 09-29-2018 at 07:17 PM. Reason: incorrect character in text

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My guess is that 50hp from the 600 will be pretty slow on a 590lb (plus fluids and rider on top of that) bike. Maybe folks who are on a budget will choose it but I think most will go for the 900.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

If the 600 turns out to be comparable to a T-Max it will have plenty of pep for a one up ride. I have embarrassed a lot of bigger bikes in both acceleration and in the twisties with my Mad Max. My CVT engages at 2000 RPM and at 5000 things start happening very quickly. I wouldn't be too quick to dismiss the 600 until you take a ride on it. The 900 should be a real blast.

2015 RT , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I had a Burgman 400 that did just fine on the interstates. But I never had it on big hills to know how it would do there.

I also think the 600 would be a good option if one is cost conscious. But I’m also wanting to know more details about the various models.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

The choice between 600 and 900 is definitely win win. You have the entry level covered with the 600.

It covers both the tight money crowd and those wishing to start smaller.

After a couple months of so--a lot may be in the market for bigger. Then they can jump to the 900.

I think BRP has it figured out right.

When I first got started in 1965 I got an 80cc one lunger. Six months later--I got my first 250 cc. In those days--considered a "big" bike--until Honda unleashed the 750 in 1967 or so. I was "scared to death" by those big, loud, HD's, Triumphs, and other Brit bikes in those days.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 10-01-2018 at 12:59 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I think if their demo is 600 and people test drive they may opt for the 600 OR Know the 900 will be that much better as In Powerful!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cobwebs View Post
    I'm shopping for one for the wife.She's a first time ryder long time pillion.Never had a bike license.600 is the go for her because it's learner approved here whereas the 900 requires her to have 18 months experience without a blemish.Given the lower price point,ease of operation and immediate jump on and start riding after her initial 2 day course i would imagine many more would see it that way and join the clan.900 should attract the fast and furious,minimalist,mod squad, penny wise crowd too, a winner for BRP all round.
    Spot on.
    Loads of interest here for the learner-approved ryker
    Hope brp liaise with training/licensing facilities and provide a ryker or two - unless they gear up and run their own govt approved courses here - that would be a winner, especially if they get the dealers on board.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by loisk View Post
    Spot on.
    Loads of interest here for the learner-approved ryker
    Hope brp liaise with training/licensing facilities and provide a ryker or two - unless they gear up and run their own govt approved courses here - that would be a winner, especially if they get the dealers on board.
    Great idea, you have to go for a test ride at purchase,why not make the course part of the post purchase contract. Each dealer to run the course as per gov approved methods but geared to three wheels.
    Currently my wife has to learn to ride the two wheeled bikes supplied at the license course to pass.She has no interest in owning anything but a Ryker/Spyder so has to unlearn the newly acquired two wheeled skills the day she picks up the Ryker with zero ride miles under her belt.They don't allow trikes at the courseOnly thing in common is they both have handlebars how the hell is that in the interests of safety
    Not like this is something new how long have Spyders been around.The price for all this bull**** will be $1100 by the time she is a fully fledged licensed ryder again, a huge disincentive.She actually wants the 900 version so add in devaluation costs at trade in time and the real picture emerges as to the hurdles some face.
    BRP could maybe offer an attractive guaranteed changeover price from 600 to 900 Ryker for customers in this bind whilst continuing to lobby government for something that makes sense.
    Whatever she is smitten and can't wait for her freedom machine to arrive,been a long time coming, well done BRP.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Trying to compare two-wheeled scooters to the Ryker; is about like comparing a Stradivarius to a Stratocaster.

We'll be able to figure out how fast it isn't: after we re-read "Pirate's" review...
    But if you buy a 600 for stop-light racing: what were you thinking???
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

As mentioned above, we had the 600 over 80 mph, and we got there really fast entering the freeway, and there was more left!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate looks at -- View Post
    As mentioned above, we had the 600 over 80 mph, and we got there really fast entering the freeway, and there was more left!
    Well in Connecticut I usually cruise 60-68 on the F3 and Only really go OVER 70 to Quickly pass a Slow poke! My Riding is 80% secondary/back roads going 40-55 and turning and burning. I imagine the windshield with X-creen Sport (If Needed) and the $149 Sway Bar would make it quite stable on the highway. Is the 30-55 Acceleration Adequate for someone who drives a F3??? Also I bet the Mileage is better with the 600?
    I will have a Ryker!!!!

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The acceleration is more than adequate. If I recall correctly they said about 45 miles per gallon.
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

45 mpg is a nice step up from any of the other current bikes.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The beauty of a CVT Tranny is that under a full load condition, ie full throttle, the CVT keeps the engine at its max torque output continuously regardless of the vehicles speed which results in a quicker acceleration than with shifting gears either with a manual or auto tranny. With a CVT the torque stays constant while the torque varies as the engine rpm changes as the speed is increased. Torque is a twisting force which exerts a twisting force on the drive wheel as it pushes against the road surface driving the vehicle forward.

Or something like that...

A good CVT will out accelerate a vehicle faster than either a manual or auto tranny with every thing else being the same.
    Dean O
    Gran Pa Hoon
    Founder San Jose BMW
    Builder of the Motorcyclist Cafe Barn and Bunkhouse
    Alamogordo, NM

'20 Spyder F3 L

Spyder Garage

How do the power losses compare between the CVT, auto,manual tranny, much in it?

Spyder Garage

The following is from John Cadogan, quoted from his 'Ultimate Transmission Comparison - Manual vs Auto vs Dual Clutch vs CVT' vid, one of the vids at www.autoexpert.com.au (he's blunt, opinionated, doesn't take any prisoners - EVER, but always tells it like it is!
    Check em out if you've got the time, there's a lot of really interesting vids there! But enough of that, here's the quote:

.....The easiest example is maximum acceleration. Physics for dummies: Maximum acceleration occurs when the engine is delivering maximum power. That’s a particular point in revs, at wide-open throttle. In every other transmission, you cannot hold the engine at those revs. The fixed transmission ratios mean you climb to that point in revs, you pass it, you upshift, the revs drop and you repeat this process.
    You chase, but only very briefly achieve, peak power.
    Let’s say you want fuel economy, accelerating from 80 to 100 in a particular set of conditions. There’s an ideal engine rpm for that. The CVT will deliver that.
    So, in manuals, autos, and dual-clutch transmissions, you cannot hold the engine at the required revs for the job at hand, as your road speed varies. You just cannot do that. In a CVT, you can. This is, perhaps, why CVTs were banned from Formula One motor racing in 1993 - the Williams team had a prototype ready to rip. The powers that be banned it.
    The central criticism of CVTs is that they feel different - they hold the revs constant at particular power delivery requirements, as road speed changes. The sensation is the disconnection of increasing revs that conventionally goes with acceleration. The engine just sits there, at the ideal revs, and **** happens. Drive a WRX or Levorg with a CVT and see what I mean. Do it with an open mind.
    The problem is: Human nature. Car nuts are inured to the sensation that climbing revs equals ‘**** happening’. CVTs are not like that. They’re better. The very thing uninformed reviewers criticise is the crucial advantage on offer. In many ways, CVT is the ideal transmission.....
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-02-2018 at 02:43 AM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!