Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Very Active Member eddieshep999's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Ryker No netural selection ?

I have just seen this video

https://youtu.be/EDgrC3D2niU

There does not seem to be a neutral selection with the CVT system
    Looking at the video once you start the Ryker by twisting the throttle it appears to be in gear ready to go
    If you rev the throttle the Ryker will move forward the only way to avoid this is with the parking brake selected or by keeping your foot on the Brake
    (See the video where even with the brakes on the rider was able to spin the rear wheel after revving the Ryker)
    I would be concerned if I was stuck in traffic that I could accidentally Rev the throttle and move the Ryker forward into another vehicle
    Possible safety issue?
    Maybe someone who has ridden the Ryker will know if netural can be selected like cars with automatic gearboxes can
    Eddie Sheppard
    Poole Dorset UK

Get a Spyder - See the World

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by eddieshep999 View Post

Looking at the video once you start the Ryker by twisting the throttle it appears to be in gear ready to go
    If you rev the throttle the Ryker will move forward the only way to avoid this is with the parking brake selected or by keeping your foot on the Brake
    (See the video where even with the brakes on the rider was able to spin the rear wheel after revving the Ryker)
    I would be concerned if I was stuck in traffic that I could accidentally Rev the throttle and move the Ryker forward into another vehicle
    Possible safety issue?
    Maybe someone who has ridden the Ryker will know if netural can be selected like cars with automatic gearboxes can
    Do you have the same safety concerns about leaving your car in gear at a stoplight?
    2016 F3T SM6 - Wife's Bike - Blank Canvas
    2017 Kawasaki Concours 14
    2016 Victory Magnum - Mods in progress
    2013 Suzuki M109R - Has a few mods

Very Active Member eddieshep999's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon View Post
    Do you have the same safety concerns about leaving your car in gear at a stoplight?
    If im going to be there any length of tme eg at at Railway level crossing with my Automatic Freelander (Land Rover) I put it into neutral and apply the handbrake, on my RT I do sometimes put it into netural but also keep my foot on thre brake pedal
    I have accidently Revved my Spyder and moved forward whilst in 1st gear
    At least on my Spyder RT I have the option of selecting netural and just wondered if this is available on the Ryker
    Eddie Sheppard
    Poole Dorset UK

Get a Spyder - See the World

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

With all due respect, you are well over one in a million when driving an auto transmission vehicle.
    Dean O
    Gran Pa Hoon
    Founder San Jose BMW
    Builder of the Motorcyclist Cafe Barn and Bunkhouse
    Alamogordo, NM

'20 Spyder F3 L

Spyder Garage

That's really nitpicking. Would you be afraid of rolling backward on a hill if you were stopped at a light with a standard transmission?
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Spyder Garage

This is actually an interesting question. Surely there is a neutral setting so you can push it around in your garage when doing maintenance, etc. I think too many of you are rushing to quick judgment because of the way he stated the question. And besides, he can ride his bike any way he wants as long as it doesn't endanger anyone else. I know cars with CVT's definitely have neutral. I would hope the Ryker has this too. Hopefully someone who knows will chime in as opposed to those who just want to criticize someone's legitimate concerns.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Just wondering why you would want to rev it whilst sitting in traffic ???
    2017 F3S Daytona , Circuit Yellow Metalic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by eddieshep999 View Post

Possible safety issue?
    CVT's are used on scoots all the time. On my Silverwing, there is no shifting or manual clutch. All you do is hold the brake to start and then roll on when you want to move. As long as the revs arent above about 2000 IIRC, there is no clutch engagement. A centrifugal clutch has to be spinning over a certain RPM before it grabs, below that, it freewheels.

It's actually a much more smooth feeling transmission and more relaxing to drive that what is on the Spyder. And much less to go wrong as well. Belts last probably 16K miles and are easy enough to change out. Handles the power just fine, and you are always in the right gear.

I would also think that the reason they decided to put a shaft drive in with the CVT was to engineer a way to do reverse. All the CVTs that I have seen have the belt run straight off the crankshaft and parallel to the swing arm to the rear wheel which is a spline mount. That would be difficult to have run backwards. With the shaft, all they would have to do is engineer some way of changing direction by perhaps shifting the side of engagement of a driven face or gear with a foot pedal, and as long as the engine isn't turning fast enough, the clutch wouldn't be engaged and it would operate smoothly.
    Last edited by Eviltwin; 09-28-2018 at 07:26 AM.
    2019 BMW C650GT, 2010 Spyder RT-S, 2009 BMW R1200RT,(sold) 2009 Honda Silverwing (Sold), 2009 Kawasaki 500 Vulcan (Sold)

\
    2010 RT SE5 , Black

Spyder Garage

The CVT disengages the driveline when the RPMs drop. The bike is essentially in neutralat that point. It only engages the belt if the RPMs increase above a certain point. The bike can roll forward or back anytime the driveline is disengaged. ATVs, SxSs and Snowmobiles all have the exact same type of CVT. This is nothing new in the Motorsports industry. It is really a rather simple concept. If you don’t want the bike to move, don’t twist the throttle.
    2016 F3T SM6 - Wife's Bike - Blank Canvas
    2017 Kawasaki Concours 14
    2016 Victory Magnum - Mods in progress
    2013 Suzuki M109R - Has a few mods

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

This is absolutely a non-issue. If you want to rev it at stoplights: just change to a stiffer primary engagement spring, and you can sound just like a Squid again!
    It doesn't need neutral... The clutches are disengaged when the rpm levels drop too low to overcome the aforementioned spring.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I have a feeling yes you will be able to roll it around with the engine off, this is why it has the parking brake, to keep it from rolling with the engine off.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

More than a feeling: it's a full-blown fact!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Eviltwin View Post
    CVT's are used on scoots all the time. On my Silverwing, there is no shifting or manual clutch. All you do is hold the brake to start and then roll on when you want to move. As long as the revs arent above about 2000 IIRC, there is no clutch engagement. A centrifugal clutch has to be spinning over a certain RPM before it grabs, below that, it freewheels.

It's actually a much more smooth feeling transmission and more relaxing to drive that what is on the Spyder. And much less to go wrong as well. Belts last probably 16K miles and are easy enough to change out. Handles the power just fine, and you are always in the right gear.

I would also think that the reason they decided to put a shaft drive in with the CVT was to engineer a way to do reverse. All the CVTs that I have seen have the belt run straight off the crankshaft and parallel to the swing arm to the rear wheel which is a spline mount. That would be difficult to have run backwards. With the shaft, all they would have to do is engineer some way of changing direction by perhaps shifting the side of engagement of a driven face or gear with a foot pedal, and as long as the engine isn't turning fast enough, the clutch wouldn't be engaged and it would operate smoothly.
    Exactly right both my scooters Yamaha Vino and Yamaha Majesty have cvt transmissions never had a problem!

Spyder Garage

Lightbulb

A little thread drift, but I am surprised the Ryker CVT (other than cost) doesn’t offer the options like Suzuki Burgmann 650 does....5 speed manual, eco, power, and normal CVT operation. All this is accomplished using a servo motor to control the motor clutch operation vs a centrifugal clutch. Just thinking out loud

Spyder Garage

Default Curious...🤔

So if you stop on a hill with the Ryker at idle and you release the brake.... will it roll backwards down the hill...?? imagine it will demonstrating that it is in a neutral position. You will get used to it and if it were a safety issue I am sure it was considered when the byke was put into production...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    So if you stop on a hill with the Ryker at idle and you release the brake.... will it roll backwards down the hill...?? imagine it will demonstrating that it is in a neutral position. You will get used to it and if it were a safety issue I am sure it was considered when the byke was put into production...
    Yes, it will roll down a hill without the break applied. Yes it will move if you twist the throttle far enough. There is no specific neutral gear that allows you to rev the engine above engagement and the bike doesn't move.

Really not that much different than the SE tranny. If it's in gear it will also roll on a hill without throttle applied. If its in gear the bike moves if throttle is applied. The only real difference is a neutral gear that allows you to rev the bike and not move.

Not a big deal.

Spyder Garage

It has a hill hold feature. See the Specs section under Safety and Security.
    HHC.jpg
    2019 600 , Haze Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Freezefm View Post
    It has a hill hold feature. See the Specs section under Safety and Security.
    HHC.jpg

HA, so there is. Even better. So the only difference is you can't shift into neutral and rev the throttle. If you rev the throttle past engagement RPM then the bike will move.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cobwebs View Post
    probably has some Harley blood in him??????? those Harley guys love to rev their engines and listen to their pipes!!!!!!!
    BIG F

Spyder Garage

Default You stole my question :)

Quote Originally Posted by Cobwebs View Post
    That's exactly the same thing I was thinking. What useful purpose does reving an engine serve. I know it sounds cool, Harley guys do that all the time. But other than showing off I can't see the sense in it. At a railroad crossing, I shift my truck into Park and then time how long the train takes to pass through.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

If your at a light with a Harley guy now you can rev the engine-with the brake on-burning rubber - like the video and release the brake when the light turns and Maybe blow him off the line?

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you bought the bike while dreaming about doing something like that: you chose poorly...

Spyder Garage

Nothing different from driving a car with an auto tranny. Just leave the foot on the brake until its time to move forward. Revving at a stoplight just makes people mad. Just not as mad as people get at HD showoffs.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Old habits die hard I guess, times were that without constant encouragement the old Harleys wouldn't idle at the lights because the owner had tweaked every adjustment to his seat o' pants and wax filled ear perfection.
    Fast forward and they figure their audience feel comforted by the fact a rocket scientist is in their lane. ABS rules!!!!

th_hiding.gif
    2017 F3S Daytona , Circuit Yellow Metalic

Spyder Garage

Hi all yes there is a N setting , pull the lever 1/2 way between F R then you can push it easy